Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Do I need to???

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 01:49 PM
CLUBSFIT
2nd Gear Member

Default Do I need to???

Hey, just put on an off road X-pipe, and was wondering if I would gain enough to add shorty headers to it?? If anyone says you cant tell on the butt-dyno with out cats, they are crazy!! So cool, but had to put stock mufflers back on![&:]

Thanks
Old 06-08-2007, 02:11 PM
okbfd
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Do I need to???

General consensus on here has been that long tubes give a nice boost and shorty's are worthless. My car guy here agrees.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:14 PM
CLUBSFIT
2nd Gear Member

seems like the long tubes would be very close to running the off road pipe?? So most of the gain comes from the cat delete?
Old 06-08-2007, 02:20 PM
okbfd
4th Gear Member

I had a Roush with offroad x pipes, but my C300 has cats and J side pipes. The Roush was faster. Longtubes are expensive for marginal gains. LOL.....just say screw it and get a blower
Old 06-08-2007, 02:25 PM
CLUBSFIT
2nd Gear Member

I am, but your right, for $250 I got almost the same gains as $900 long tubes!! That is why I need to decide if adding shorties will make sense?? I will be getting my blower when I put the car up for the winter[:'(]
Old 06-08-2007, 02:28 PM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

I know that long tubes are optimum and the way to go to get every hp from the exhaust system. But if you can tell a difference just by removing the cats, you are part of the way there. The shorty headers ARE less restrictive than the factory exhaust manifold, so you should be able to pick up a few more.The downside is that it will be lessof a gain as long tubes+ non-cat midpipe.

I am in the same boat. I don't want long tubes because of warranty issues. If you have problems with a CEL related to the oxygen sensor, then you are on your own.