Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

BBK shorty headers

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 02:37 PM
crozerstang
1st Gear Member

Default BBK shorty headers

I'm interested to hear from anyone that has installed the BBK (or other brand) shorty headers, did you notice sound/performancee gains. American Muscle says they will achieve an extra 15 hp and give a better sound, for 300 bucks this seems like reasonable value?

Can long tube headers be used with factory cats?

Thanks,

06 Mustang GT
K&N CAI
93 Tune
FRPP springs
20" saleen 7 spokes
Old 10-02-2007, 02:46 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: BBK shorty headers

For your setup you will not get those gains, you might get 5.....they are not really worth it. If you want better sound and more gains, you will want to get long tubes with a new midpipe along with CMCV and a better CAI and Tune...i would leave headers much further down the list of mods to do.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:57 PM
crozerstang
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the reply, when you get new mid-pipe I assume this comes with new CATs also?, if so do the aftermarket CATs have same emmisions performance, I'll need to pass a mandatory emissions test in the near future.

BBK offer LTs and a shorty x-pipe combo for around 900 dollars - any info about these?

What's CMCV stand for?

Thanks!

06 Mustang GT
K&N CAI
93 Tune
FRPP springs
20" saleen 7 spokes
Old 10-02-2007, 04:19 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

I have JBA Shorties, combined with a FRPP X-Pipe and JBA Axlebacks. I'm happy with the reults of this mod. I, like you, was concerned with removing the Cats
Old 10-02-2007, 05:34 PM
crozerstang
1st Gear Member

How much was your FRPP x-pipe, did it leave the original cats in place?

What is the sound like with your set up, specifically do you know how the JBA headers changed your sound,I guess with the axle backs you'll really only hear the extra noise from the mufflers?

Thanks
Old 10-02-2007, 05:34 PM
SRT_what
2nd Gear Member

I thought it was long understood that shorties don't do much for our cars since the stock manifolds were designed so well?
Old 10-02-2007, 05:38 PM
SRT_what
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: crozerstang

How much was your FRPP x-pipe, did it leave the original cats in place?

What is the sound like with your set up, specifically do you know how the JBA headers changed your sound,I guess with the axle backs you'll really only hear the extra noise from the mufflers?

Thanks
Not that you're interested in my set-up, but here's what it sounds like with longtube headers, x pipe, no cats, and stock mufflers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bLFypqbp00
Old 10-02-2007, 05:39 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

FRPP X-Pipe is $139.00, and yes the stock cats remain as is.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:56 PM
crozerstang
1st Gear Member

That's really my question so I'd be interested to hear confirmation of what benefits (if any) there are. I've heard mustangs around town that have a really raspy sound, especially the 04 cobras, it's not the mufflers I don't think, thought it may be the headers?

Thanks
Old 10-02-2007, 06:00 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: crozerstang

Thanks for the reply, when you get new mid-pipe I assume this comes with new CATs also?, if so do the aftermarket CATs have same emmisions performance, I'll need to pass a mandatory emissions test in the near future.

BBK offer LTs and a shorty x-pipe combo for around 900 dollars - any info about these?

What's CMCV stand for?

Thanks!

Howarmat is correct in that the headers wont do too much w/ NA engines, but if you just want loud, or if you plan on going FI later the LT's and x or h pipe may be what you want to prepare for later. check my sig below. and heres a sound clip of my exhaust. you can get LT's w/ matching cattedx pipe from BBK for around 800-900.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6sc3UBuPI0

Quick Reply: BBK shorty headers