Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

How much oil is too much?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 06:27 PM
papa t

Default How much oil is too much?

I needed an oil change and I didn't have the time to do it myself so I took it to the local lube shop and had them do it (Mobile 1 & filter). I checked the oil level the next morning and it was about 1/4" above the "full" line. I know too much oil is a bad thing, but how much it too much?
Old 01-08-2008, 06:30 PM
22kart22
4th Gear Member

Default RE: How much oil is too much?

You'll be fine. Its all in the oil pan, which is basicallly just a tub used for holding extra oil....
Old 01-08-2008, 06:32 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 22kart22

You'll be fine. Its all in the oil pan, which is basicallly just a tub used for holding extra oil....
man, 22kart22, you are getting all these posts right out of the gate, its like your getting the hole shot on everybody today!
Old 01-08-2008, 08:00 PM
22kart22
4th Gear Member

haha i'm trying...Haven't posted much in the last 2 weeks...The girl keeps me busy lol
Old 01-08-2008, 08:06 PM
tlpvt
2nd Gear Member

for one thing, too much oil can make too much pressure at high rpm's and that has a potential to blow a seal somewhere. for the same reason you don't want to rev up high a cold engine b/c cold oil is thicker = more pressure. but that's theory.
so,if it takes 1qt to bring the level from min to max markon the dipstick (RTFM)and that's like an inch or so, your 1/4" overfill comes to about 1/4qt extra oil they poured in. no biggie.

of course there is a paranoid possibility that they poured all the 6qts you gave them but didn't bother (or somebody misplaced the wrench/couldn't find it[:@]) to change the filter - that's where that extra 1/4qt may come from[sm=boosign.gif]

another obvious thing - is the car level when you check the dipstick>?
Old 01-08-2008, 09:22 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

takes mine 6.5 to put the oil at the top of the full mark.
I do let it drain out for a loooooooooooooooong time tho. Then take our oil gun and shoot another 1/2 quart into the drain plug hole to rinse out the bottom. then let it drain a loooooooooooong time again.

Yeah, an oil change should not take longer than an hour, lol.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:54 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

It probably won't hurt anything, but **** me would drain out a little. Too much oil in the pan can reduce power and lower your mpg. When I drain mine a looooooooooooooooooooooooooong time, and put in 6 qts, let it run till warm, wait 10 minutes, then check the level, it is on the full mark.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:18 AM
silversol81
2nd Gear Member

You should be fine.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:34 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

hmm i think 3 quarts is too much

here isa long boring story:

I was driving from montana to arizona overnightmany years ago in a 92 mercury topaz. right before leaving town my rear right tire is flat, i put the spare on (this is 7pm) I drive 2 hours out of town, stop for food/gass, rear right tire is flat, so i call tow truck, get 2 new tires, continue.. i stop again for gas, my rear right tire is flat again, this around midnight now. i stop and air it up, I keep stopping every 2 hours for air to be sure i dont run it too low.. around 4am i pull into a gas station in idaho and suddenly smoke pours out of my engine and the connection where the oil goes into the egine has blown off.. so i push my car the rest of the way into the station and try to sleep (Its like 20 degrees) till about 7am.. there is an auto place in this tiny town down the hill, so i get it down t here and wait till he opens around 8am.. he plugs everything back in and I start it, its idling really rough, he says my engine is shot and its getting too much compression and its likely leaking oil so i should check it. at the same time ofcourse i also have a tire going flat every few hours.. he isnt' sure ill make it to AZ but i gotta try (im moving there) so i keep checking my oil, its about a quart low each time i check every few hours and i also air up my tire.. when i get to utah i get gas and they have an auto place there.. i ask about the tire going flat since its a new tire.. he checks it.. turns out they didn't replace the valve stem, thats where it was leaking. 1 problem solved.. but still need to keep adding oil.. I get to AZ finally, I barely made it (engine is sounding horrible) I park it and finally sleep after beingawake for around 48 hours.. we go out the next morning to take a look at it, it wont start and I go to check the oil.... and its waaaay too full.. I had oil up to the pistons.. I was so tired I was checking the wrong dipstick.... I thought I was just keeping it right around the same area... I took it to the shop.. I had bent a rod.. new engine cost: more than the car is worth.

make sure you don't over fill it or make a real mistake... hope my story didn't suck too bad.. but that was a rough 48 hours
Old 01-09-2008, 10:36 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Another thing I do is measure the oil. I don't trust the bottles or jugs at Walmart. Next time you are there, line up several side by side and look through the little sight window strip and you will see they are all different. The big jugs are REAL bad and vary by as much as an inch in oil level. So, who really knows how much oil they are putting in their engine? I do.

Quick Reply: How much oil is too much?