Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

how do you plan the perfect build?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 10:20 AM
hotairgypsy
3rd Gear Member

Default how do you plan the perfect build?!?!?

I am sooooo tired of reading and getting more confused of the best plan of attack to have a built block with forged internals. This is what i want. I want to have an engine on a engine stand ready to go so i pull in the car into the garage and just do motor swaps minus accessories of course. What i am thinking of doing is buying a wrecked 05-current wrecked GT and pulling the engine so i have a direct block swap. while that engine is on the stand have the work done to it to have the forged internals installed and cylinder work done. what is the dif between boring it out and a stroker kit done. I read somewhere about max you can go is .20 over and I assumed they were referring to boring out the engine and then installing oversized pistons and rings. Several are going to say go get a terminator motor and drop in but for some reason i think in my head I am going back in technology and downgrading. why is a term block better than a current block that has the work done to it. I know if i am trying to build a 9 sec car then it has its own path but this is a street car to me so i want to max out a streetable car. I do not think a car putting down 900 ponies to too streetable. I want the engine to still do 20mpg if i am babying it. I know my thoughts are all over the place but the reading has just confused me to the point i dont know which way to go.

what are your thoughts on this
Old 01-12-2008, 10:53 AM
2007GT/CS
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: how do you plan the perfect build?!?!?

Any reason why you wouldn't just buy a built 4.6 3V short block kit from a reputable builder, then have the local shop swap your heads and accessories and put 'er in? That sounds like it might be the approach most compatible with your goals/contraints.

I guess what I'm asking is:

How much of this do you want to do yourself?
How much tolerance do you have for your car being down for the work?
How much money do you want to spend?

The options can be pretty overwhelming so I've been where you are (I do have some experience in building engines though not modulars). As far as the stroke/bore thing goes: I believe the consensus is not to bother with the bore as the procedure isn't worth the cubes you gain. So bore if you need to (cylinder out of round - unlikely, scoring on the cylinder wall - also unlikely). Stroking is more of a religious argument. There are definitely cubes and torque to be gained. If I had stayed N/A I would actually consider it more strongly than for a FI motor.

A motor swap is in my 2009 plan (doing suspension and finishing off appearance in 2008) so I'm actually hoping to have some other options come along in the meantime (360 ci that some guys here are building right now, cheaper 5.4L 4V options, etc.).