Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Weird burnout problem

Old 02-15-2008, 07:33 PM
TheDarkPath
3rd Gear Member

Default Weird burnout problem

It could be I'm not getting evenly in the waterbox but I've seen other S197s do the same thing when doing a burnout. The last few times I've gone to the track and done a burnout, I've had people tell me the driver's side tire smokes a lot more than the passenger side. I have a video of it and there's small amounts of thin smoking coming off the passenger side but a ton of smoke coming off the driver's side tire. Then sometimes I light them up and they both smoke evenly and normal.

Is my problem inexperience, not enough water in the box or bad positioning, or do I need to upgrade the diff?

I have an auto. The following is the process I use to do a burnout:
1. drive around the water and back in (I have regular street wheels/tires on front)
2. small spin in the water then I creep out a few feet
3. Hold down the brake and hit the gas
4. I let it shift to 2nd and let the speedo hit around 50-55mph and try to hold it there for a second or 2 (by then at least the driver's side tire is billowing smoke...sometimes both of them)
5. I let off the brake and ease off the gas

Am I doing something wrong? Is my diff effed in the A? Is that just life with a stock LSD?

I was worried until I saw 2 other different 05+ mustangs doing burnouts with the same results. We were all on DRs of some sort. I have MT E/T Streets (bias-ply) which is more tire than I need and may be too much. My best time (12.61) came when I had the air pressure around 17psi and did a decent burnout. My 60' was 1.86.

This last time out, my best run came after my best burnout but was only 12.71 with a 1.96 60'. I think the air pressure was around 18psi. And yes, I was spinning. I didn't want to counter-act the traction problems with lower air pressure if I wasn't getting good burnouts in to begin with. I know this car as 12.5s in it.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:44 PM
06VistaBlueGT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Weird burnout problem

This happens quite frequently with me too. I think it's because of fords clutch packs in the diff. there a couple of solutions. I understand there are carbon fiber clutch packs available that work much better. Also, you can have some kind of locker installed. I am having 4.10s put in at the end of March. I'll probably have them install the carbon fiber clutch packs then. I would have a locker installed but the budget is a little limited right now.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:49 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

It's the nature of the beast with the stock differential and expected actually.

You don't have to go with a locker if you're not making big boy power - Throw a tru trak back there and low and behold...big difference...[8D]
Old 02-16-2008, 02:41 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

After watching thevideo from my last race I realized I was having the same issue. Passenger side good smoke, driver, side just a little.So, I'm getting a locker next month.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:26 AM
TheDarkPath
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: modaddict

It's the nature of the beast with the stock differential and expected actually.

You don't have to go with a locker if you're not making big boy power - Throw a tru trak back there and low and behold...big difference...[8D]
Yeah,I think a Detroit truetrac is in my future for sure. Do you think this will help making my launches more reliable as well as the burnouts?

Is there a different with street drivability?
Old 02-16-2008, 04:31 PM
tlpvt
2nd Gear Member

hm... I thought it's because the driver is sitting on one side = uneven weight distribution...
Old 02-16-2008, 05:31 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

In my vert,if I do a burnout from a rollback, the car pulls to the right. I was figuring road tilt.
Left is spinning, the right is getting more traction.

Same with this guy

Old 02-16-2008, 08:14 PM
TheDarkPath
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Margarita Girl

In my vert,if I do a burnout from a rollback, the car pulls to the right. I was figuring road tilt.
Left is spinning, the right is getting more traction.

Same with this guy

That's exactly what my car looks like from behind when I launch except opposite side...that guy feels my pain. J/K.

I figured the problem was the diff not truely splitting torque on the launch. For verts, some chasis reinforcement would help with body twisting and keeping the car nice and straight. My driver's side lifts more than the passenger side (body not wheels haha) when launching so getting something to keep that even would help as well.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:49 PM
HazardSports
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like a DIFF to me.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:03 PM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

Having a little rear work done on mine at this very moment. Went by the shop today and the differential cover was off and the axles out!

Getting ready for the Bogarts that are supposed to be in this week![8D]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weird burnout problem