Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 04:16 PM
dssgrl2004

Default Help!

I have an '06 GT, and plan to take it in to the dealer soon to get some work done before the factory warranty runs out... I'm having several issues, but I know how dealerships can be about fixing things on THEIR tab. Was wondering if anyone has had any of the same problems, or knows what the fix(es) may be?? Its easier for me to argue with these guys if I know what I am talking about

1) Fuel Gauge/ Fill Up issues: Sometimes when I try to fill up, it won't let me get a full tank - the pump just shuts off & won't let me put any more in, sometimes after only 5 or 10 gallons, from empty! Also, I've had instances wheren I'll fill my tank, but the gauge will still show near E, and eventually, SLOWLY move to where it should be. Recently, I filled up my tank and reset my trip meter (I like to keep track of my miles per tank).. Drove about 5 miles and noticed my trip meter reflected 0.3....
2) Rattle/ Squeak in Dash: Pretty self explanatory - its sporadic...
3) Noise/Whine on Accel: Usually thru Second gear only... almost like a supercharger or something??
4) Heat/AC System: Air flow seems inconsistent... Seems like NO air comes out thru the floor vents when set on the floor/defrost setting...
5) Stutter on Accel from Slow/Stop after long Highway Drive: Like after being on the highway for an hour or more... This has happened a couple of times - I'd exit the highway and come to a stop, then accelerate to go thru the intersection, but my car just won't GO! I have to completely let off the gas, and then try again to get it moving...

Any input you guys can give me will be HUGELY appreciated - I need to get my car in the shop in the next couple days. Thanks!
Old 02-24-2008, 04:26 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Help!

i'll take a stab at #1 & 5

maybe sulfur buildup on the fuel level sender (passenger
side), run some techron through the system and see if the
fuel gauge starts acting normally....

hesitation after cruise: TSB is out for this.....
(this is the driver side, fuel pump ).

i hope the dealership takes care of you to your
satisfaction

Old 02-24-2008, 04:32 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

TSB for #2. Heat cycle is normal for these cars. I drove ours the other day with shorts on and no shoes, and when you go to floor heat only, there is more air coming out but not like you'd think there should be.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:40 PM
samus720
2nd Gear Member

I have a pretty good theory about number 2 because it does it to me as well. I believe that because of the way that the plastic (Dash) is mated together, it intentionally doesn't fit together very tightly. I believe they did that so that when the dash gets hot (expands) it doesn't warp. It has a little wiggle room so that when it warms up it fits better. I've noticed that it only rattles/squeaks when the car is cold. Once it warms up in the interior, the dash doesn't squeak anymore. Hope that helps.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:41 PM
samus720
2nd Gear Member

One more thing, the whining. My car does this on WOT acceleration. I believe its something on the accesory belt (Alternator, water pump, etc.) can't tell though because I've never checked under the hood with the engine running to find out.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:31 PM
steph3k
1st Gear Member

I have #3 as well. It almost seems like it comes from my stereo speakers (but it's not). It does sound like a supercharger. It seems to go away after a few minutes.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:28 PM
hypersurf1
2nd Gear Member

I have the same issue while filling with gas. Sometimes it just wont take anymore even though its not full. The gauge is also very slow to show changes.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:30 AM
racin4christ

The only time have have had problems when filling up is at certain gas stations and if the pump stops at around 5 - 10 gallons i put the nosle in upside down to finish filling (handle side towards the car). That does the trick 95% of the time. And the only time that the needle is slow is if I leave the ignition in the on position when filling or leave the car running. (havn't exploded yet) Also the whine that you will sometimes hear is the alternator and or the transmission (assuming manual). The alternators that we have use a 1 way pully and if the belt is spinning faster then the alternator wants to the pully will slip internaly causing a whining noise. If you rev your car to about 5000 and then shut off the motor you will hear this progressive whine like the motor is still spinning down after you shut it off. This is the alternator comming to a stop due to the way the pully is designed. I had a standard pully on the alternator and under hard shifts the belt would squeak since the alternator cant change speeds as fast as the motor does on a shift. This is why Ford designed this new clutch like alternator pully. If none of these things help you then good luck with finding your problems.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:12 AM
steph3k
1st Gear Member

So the alternator is bahaving normally? Or is this something that needs to be looked at? I do hear it wind down sometimes when I shut down. It's kind of a cool sound as long as it's not damaging my car.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:24 AM
Spiffu
2nd Gear Member

The only way I can solve the gas issue is by rotating the gas filler at an odd angle, until it let's it fill again.