Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Hurst Shifter

Old 04-14-2008, 02:26 PM
2007GT/CS
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Hurst Shifter

ORIGINAL: VistaGT

Well I loved the way the V6 one worked notchy but nice, and ofcourse it looks sick. My only fear is that I will buy it for my GT and it will be too stiff and third will be hard to hit ( as claimed by Car and Driver). I want to order this week but I'm not sure what to do. What do you guys think???
I think Car and Driver don't know sh*t from shinola

Be that as it may - yes, the Hurst is a notchy shifter and no, I've never missed third. Just push forward from second and let the bias spring do the work. It's easy to install correctly (even from jack stands). Make sure to lube it good and torque properly.

I've heard the MGW offers a smoother experience and has some adjustability (stops and maybe spring pressure?). Never had a chance to try one.

Nothing beats the look/feel of the Hurst IMO.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:01 PM
Green Machine 123
2nd Gear Member

i have a stock shifter and i not missed a gear yet...of course my car is an auto...LOL...
Old 04-14-2008, 03:18 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Do you guys think the shift stops are really neccasary(the ones sound on steeda/mgw)? This is the last thing that is holding me back from ordering like now lol. Im afraid because its harder to shift a short throw ill have to pull hard and those stops might really be needed. Is this true at all? I just don't wanna **** anything up trans wise. I havent heard anyone bending the fork with the hurst so im guessing it's not an issue? Thanks much, Scott
Old 04-14-2008, 03:21 PM
UberHax0r
2nd Gear Member

Do you guys think the shift stops are really neccasary(the ones sound on steeda/mgw)? This is the last thing that is holding me back from ordering like now lol. Im afraid because its harder to shift a short throw ill have to pull hard and those stops might really be needed. Is this true at all? I just don't wanna **** anything up trans wise. I havent heard anyone bending the fork with the hurst so im guessing it's not an issue? Thanks much, Scott
your logic is funny

it doesn't take some Herculean effort to shift with the Hurst. sure it's not in-n-out like the stock, but the stock sucks.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:22 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

i love my hurst...never has been too notchy to the point that it ishard to shift...had it in for almost a month now

they are right, the v6 and gt hurst shifter are different

never had the opportunity to test out the MGW or the higher end shifters but if they truely shift that much better than the hurst, then they must be pretty damn perfect
Old 04-14-2008, 03:27 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: UberHax0r

your logic is funny

it doesn't take some Herculean effort to shift with the Hurst. sure it's not in-n-out like the stock, but the stock sucks.
The reason I ask is b/c i heard its very tight. Also I was cross shopping tri-ax/ mgw and they have shift stops figured they were there for a reason. The hurst is cheaper/looks the best IMO, just wondering if one w/shift stops was worth it
Old 04-14-2008, 04:40 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

the tranny has shift stops built in....you dont need them on the shifter
Old 04-14-2008, 05:09 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Cool thanks Matt
Old 04-14-2008, 05:48 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Stupid question. What is a shift stop?
Old 04-14-2008, 08:20 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Its a piece of metal built on the shifter to stop the shifter from over-extending and prevents damage to the shifter fork.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hurst Shifter