Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

just got back from the strip and want some advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 10:19 PM
hotairgypsy
3rd Gear Member

Default just got back from the strip and want some advice

Well i ran the MT ET Streets on 17s today and it was quite interesting. Man they make you feel like your gliding on ice and one bad move DISASTER!!! I did manage to keep it out of the wall thank god..here are my questions.

1. I put them on at my house before going to the track and knew to be careful getting to the track. This is when i started seeing the characteristics of drag tires. i think i had about 25psi in them on the way and man they are glidy in the back....how do i get rid of them problem from house to strip? can I go up too 37psi to stiffen them up too feel safer or do i just need to get used to them?

2. There were a 3 cars that broke something on thier cars...i heard they were driveshafts so this got me to thinking. One guy said lane one was hooking up real nice and he was going to run a higher psi on the tires so he would not break his DS...i assumed the lower the psi the more hook up one will have. What i wanted to know is do i have the potential of breaking my DS/u joints with 470rwhp and these tires...I am not running DS loops and I stopped running after 5 runs cuz that got me to thinking. can i have a possible issue? I am running a 4" powerhouse DS with all thier parts from tranny to rearend. I have FRPP 4.10s in the back. Will break any of this at my HP/TQ? of course manufacture defect or malicious use can do it.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:27 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: just got back from the strip and want some advice

Your 31 spline axles are good. Your 8.8 rear is good... If you take your spare tire out the trunk both wheels will fit in the trunk.I run 16psi and have made several passes in the m/t's and all is fine
Old 04-13-2008, 10:33 PM
hotairgypsy
3rd Gear Member

so it sounds like i can beat on it at my HP rating and not break the driveline...might take out the auto tranny but i know that already...I know i am real close too its max
Old 04-13-2008, 11:18 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hotairgypsy

1. I put them on at my house before going to the track and knew to be careful getting to the track. This is when i started seeing the characteristics of drag tires. i think i had about 25psi in them on the way and man they are glidy in the back....how do i get rid of them problem from house to strip? can I go up too 37psi to stiffen them up too feel safer or do i just need to get used to them?

2. What i wanted to know is do i have the potential of breaking my DS/u joints with 470rwhp and these tires...I am not running DS loops and I stopped running after 5 runs cuz that got me to thinking. can i have a possible issue? I am running a 4" powerhouse DS with all thier parts from tranny to rearend. I have FRPP 4.10s in the back. Will break any of this at my HP/TQ?
1. Bias ply tires are squirrelly on the street. I would recommend changing them at the track if at all possible.You don't want to run too much PSI on them because they are tubeless. Tubeless+Bias ply+Too much pressure=Bad.

2. The chance of breaking the DS is slim to none, but I would have a front safety loop at the very least because I like my feet attached to my legs. (Hey, it's happened to people before.) I'm actually surprised that the track allows you to run slicks without a loop. A front loop is required to run slicks at both of the tracks I go to.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:56 AM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

Man you sure your not pushing more then 470 rwhp? I'd think with all those mods you'd be pushing at least 490 with the saleen S/Cer
Old 04-14-2008, 04:09 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

So what did you run? Did you remember to turn overdrive off this time?
Old 04-14-2008, 07:34 AM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

I run the ET Steets at the track and on the occasional trip out hunting Corvettes or other trouble on the street. These tires are definately not for handling. They are for straight line traction. They will always feel different when you are running radials in front too. I run 25 pounds on the street. I run 13 pounds at the track. I dont drive to the track with them on (45 miles) but have my son follow up in the SUV with floorjack, tools and track tires. We change at the track. If you heat them up you can get incredible 60 foot times.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:48 AM
sactown
4th Gear Member

I run my MT ET's at around 30psi on the street and about 16-18psi on the track, but yes they do feel strange on the street, but I just figured that is normal.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:26 AM
hotairgypsy
3rd Gear Member

Yes i turned off traction control and installed the granatilli line locks. So this trip i was getting used to the tires and line locks...my best run of the night was against a TT Z06...

ME vette
1.762 reaction 0.926
2.029 60 ft 2.669
108.23 MPH 113.64
12.708 finish 13.773

i am working on uploading the video so i will post it later
Old 04-14-2008, 09:43 AM
okbfd
4th Gear Member

Ummmmm.......a TT Z06 ran 13.7?????????????????

Quick Reply: just got back from the strip and want some advice