MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   GT S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion-49/)
-   -   'Whistling' sound coming from car (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion/439918-whistling-sound-coming-from-car.html)

Xeno 04-30-2008 07:24 PM

'Whistling' sound coming from car

I was hoping some of you could help me figure out a noise coming from my car. The best way to describe it would be a whistle (something like the sound a turbo or a supercharger makes as it winds up). It only does it in the 1800-2200 rpm range in 1st and maybe 2nd gear. Also, I only hear it on the right side of my car. I do have an automatic, so I wasn't sure if it may be a normal sound or maybe something wrong. Other people have heard the sound before, so I know I am not crazy [8D]. [/align][/align]One idea I came up with is a bad catalytic converter because I get a real bad sulfur smell when I start my car and when I get home after driving a while.I am guessing it is either the transmission or my cats because I have isolated the sound to that area. Hopefully I can figure out what is wrong before my warranty ends.[/align]

stealth_GT 04-30-2008 07:29 PM

RE: 'Whistling' sound coming from car

my car does the same thing..08 CS/GT auto.

it does sound like a supercharger but really faint..don't think there is anything wrong
being that it drives just fine and no problems.

craezjo 04-30-2008 09:32 PM

same problem sounds like a whine of a supercharger but much quieter. my car also seems to bog when i shift to 3rd.

acdc163 05-01-2008 12:36 AM

Get some SLP loudmouths or boomtubes and problem will be fixed[8D]

Xeno 05-01-2008 12:37 AM

Well, it looks like this sound is coming from both manuals and autos. that makes me think it is not really a transmission problem... my guess would be something exhaust related. driveshaft maybe? [/align][/align]It is not a really loud sound (it doesn't bother me when I am driving). I really only hear it while driving with the windows down and radio off. I'm just hoping there is nothing wrong, otherwise, I will use that sound to scare away ricers (make them think i am F/I [8D]) I do have GTA exhaust, though. I have heard boomtubes and other exhaust like it, but I didn't want the drone (had an 02 v6 with straight duals before this car; drone drove me crazy).[/align]

stealth_GT 05-01-2008 02:19 AM

it sounds like some sort of valves are opening and closing during acceleration...

Diabolical! 05-01-2008 02:27 AM

I get a whistle as well;)

moosestang 05-01-2008 02:34 AM

Does it do it with your foot off the gas? Mine has a faint whistle, but not when I'm just coasting with no throttle.

Diabolical! 05-01-2008 02:50 AM

ORIGINAL: moosestang

Does it do it with your foot off the gas? Mine has a faint whistle, but not when I'm just coasting with no throttle.
Me? I always have a very faint whistle. However, I rode in a non-intercooled whippled GT with 6psi, and the whistle was not present. Maybe it isn't as noticable with the 8 lb. pulley? (Sorry about the thread hijack.)

Xeno 05-01-2008 09:26 AM

I can understand a whistle sound coming from those of you with Whipples ;), but I don't have a supercharger or turbo. It does not make the sound with my foot off the gas; only under light acceleration.Any rpms above or below the 1800-2200 range does not make the sound. I did take it to the dealer where I bought my car a few months ago; they did hear the sound, but they thought it wasn't 'normal' (the tech was thinking exhaust). They wern't much help fixing it though [>:].[/align][/align]btw, Nice pic in your sig moosestang[/align]

grampa_stang 05-01-2008 01:33 PM

You didn't slip one of those turbonators in the intake tube....did you?

Seriously though....mine makes the sound too. Seems to happen only when the motor is cold and
in 1st and 2nd gear. I actually like it.

tonkpils555666sas 05-01-2008 01:54 PM

same sound over here. it always made the sound in first and sometimes in second, but it happensrarely and it has happened since I got the car. I had all of the mechanics who worked on the car check it out (not Ford) to see if they have an opinion and they couldnt really see any problem... I dont think it is a big deal.

Nuke 05-01-2008 02:18 PM

You don't happen to have a Helix tower on it, do you? Those things whistle...

Xeno 05-01-2008 02:38 PM

Nope, no TBS or turbonator, but it does make the sound when the engine is cold and after it has been running awhile. Sounds likeit may be anormal occurrance. The only reason I am a little concerned is because the tech at ford didn't have a clue what it could be (even though most techs i've seen don't seem to know what's going on). If it is normal, I guess I have nothing to worry about then :D

Mishri 05-01-2008 05:37 PM

Yes, I have that same sound.. its louder when i really step on it.. I think it is quieter now that I put the steeda CAI on though.. so it could be your intake whistling..

Xeno 05-01-2008 06:18 PM

I'd figure if it was the intake, I would hear the sound at any rpm range though. It is a ford, so weird noises are a natural occurance ;)

turbotbirdguy79 05-01-2008 06:40 PM

There is a t.s.b for whistle when cold.Its the idler pully.Ive changed a few of them and they are hard to chase down.This happens on the 5.4 3v engines too.Hope this helped!

Xeno 05-01-2008 08:17 PM

Thanks, I will check the TSB out. Even though I did a search before I posted this (and did not find anything), I did a search on my favorite web search engine and found a 'whistling' thread already going for a v-6(https://mustangforums.com/m_4663205/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm). Looks like this sound is just normal with our cars [:@][/align][/align]Oh well...[/align]