MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   GT S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion-49/)
-   -   CHE K-Member Brace w/ Torque Limiters (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion/444181-che-k-member-brace-w-torque-limiters.html)

VistaGT 05-12-2008 10:54 AM

CHE K-Member Brace w/ Torque Limiters

I was looking at this and wondering if it was worth it. I've read all the posts I could find but I'm still not sure. I never had a problem missing shifts with the stock shifter but I'm worried If I try shift hard with the Hurst at redline I'll miss. So, is this a big improvment and a help for a short throw like the hurst? Also does the K-member help handeling at all? Are there any downsides to this like stiffness, noise etc....

Also I read one post how this broke the transmission bolts on someone's car. Is that something to worry about???

ink003 05-12-2008 11:09 AM

RE: CHE K-Member Brace w/ Torque Limiters

i've never had any problems w/. my che k-member w/. the tl's. i can say that, like you, i didn't have big problems missing shifts (i have a pro 5.0 short throw), but it did happen on occasion. i never miss shifts now. the k-member does make a difference and help to stiffen the chassis, though probably only minimally; i think the bigger gain is in weight loss (though i'm pretty certain we're talking nickels and dimes, so to speak). i'm no expert and could be way off, but this is my experience so far. imo it's worth the $$.

torch red 05-12-2008 11:19 AM

Yes the K.member brace w? TQ is awesome and highly recommend..

If u go with a entire new K-memeber is weight..about 40-50 pounds i think whick is alot..As far as handling yes becuase with new A-arms
as well unsprung weight is much better..

But i would def..get the the CHE

hammeron 05-12-2008 12:31 PM

i installed mine, even after seeing andrews
broken block

i would say tho, if you're not missing shifts,
then you should weigh the risk vs. reward

moosestang 05-12-2008 04:34 PM

I must have 12k miles on mine and never had a problem. If you don't adjust them right they can cause a vibration. I tried leaving them off after my clutch install, but just didn't like the way the car feels without them.

You want to shorten them a little after they are installed, but not to much. Just enough to start pulling on the transmission.

You will feel the engine more, especially at start up.

VistaGT 05-12-2008 04:49 PM

How do you know how much to adjust them, is it easy? Also from other posts I've read-do they unadjust themselves and is locktight needed for anything? Lastly As far as the install from other posts I'm guessing it's a pretty easy job right? Thanks alot guys!!!

moosestang 05-12-2008 06:26 PM

ORIGINAL: VistaGT

How do you know how much to adjust them, is it easy? Also from other posts I've read-do they unadjust themselves and is locktight needed for anything? Lastly As far as the install from other posts I'm guessing it's a pretty easy job right? Thanks alot guys!!!
When you first bolt them up they will have no load on them until you shorten or lengthen them. There is no set amount to shorten them and you'll see it pulling down on the transmission when you start. I just measured both mine to make sure I had them even on both sides and short even so they didn't cause a vibration. If you have them too loose they will cause an annoying resonation through the cabin and I mean annoying.

The install is not that hard, but there was a rather large bolt or nut that needed removing. I remember thinking that the average person isn't going to have a socket that size.

Thinking about it, it maybe better to shorten one side and lengthen the other. Which side does the engine torque over torwards, passenger? It would seem logical that if the engine and transmission is torquing over torwards the passenger side, then you'd want to shorten the drivers side limiter and lengthen the passenger side, otherwise your drivers side limiter is doing all the work.

Anyone think i'm making any sense? Does anyone have there's set up this way?

moosestang 05-12-2008 06:27 PM

Loctite. I initially used loctite, but it's not really necessary on the limiter jam nuts if you have it adjusted and tightened properly.

VistaGT 05-12-2008 11:03 PM

Cool thanks moose!

blueherd02gt 05-12-2008 11:06 PM

+1
I'll be putting on the prothane motor mounts this weekend

ORIGINAL: hammeron

i installed mine, even after seeing andrews
broken block

i would say tho, if you're not missing shifts,
then you should weigh the risk vs. reward

VistaGT 05-12-2008 11:33 PM

Is it possible to overtighten them?

moosestang 05-13-2008 10:58 AM

Is it possible to overtighten them?
Shortening the limiters pulls down on the transmission and compresses the transmission mount and engine mounts to some extent. You can over due anything and making them shorter than they need to be probably isn't a good idea. You'll see what I mean when you install them, overtighten really isn't the proper term.

06VistaBlueGT 05-13-2008 07:50 PM

You will probably notice a little increase in NVH. It did help with missed shift although I still miss second occassionally, usually at the worst time.

You shouldn't need loctite, the jam nuts should be enough. The install is ok, I found it easier tounbolt my O/R X pipe from the manifolds to get to the nuts.

I have the BMR radiator support/sway bar delete, the K-member brace really helped to stiffen the front back up again with very little weight gain.

I give this mod an 8 out of 10.

Diabolical! 05-13-2008 08:08 PM

ORIGINAL: blueherd02gt
+1
The prothanes alone cured my missed shifts. Fairly easy to install too.

hammeron 05-13-2008 08:20 PM

is this what you guys have and are
going to install

http://static.summitracing.com/globa...6-505-bl_w.jpg

ORIGINAL: nineinchnail1024

ORIGINAL: blueherd02gt
+1
The prothanes alone cured my missed shifts. Fairly easy to install too.

sactown 05-13-2008 08:38 PM

Those mounts are correct but the bushing arenot they are different than the red (at least according to summit)polyurethane, I called and asked. I don't recall exactly what the difference was but I think the black are not as stiff and have the tendency to make less polyurethane squeak.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

Diabolical! 05-13-2008 08:40 PM

Those are exactly what I have, but mine are red instead of black. (The red and black prothanes are the exact same product, just a different color.)

sactown 05-13-2008 08:47 PM

Just to give my 2 cents on the CHE TQ limiter, did not solve my shifting issue, but did help.

Stkjock 05-13-2008 08:49 PM

they have made a huge difference for the better on mine

VistaGT 05-14-2008 09:17 AM

Those motor mounts are hard to install right? It involves lifting the drivetrain?

Margarita Girl 05-14-2008 09:22 AM

ORIGINAL: Stkjock

they have made a huge difference for the better on mine
I have been eyeing both the CHE K-member and the Steeda G-track. I have a 3-point strut tower brace which improved the front handling, but have found the car is still flexing, and this might be causing my difficult 2nd gear shifts. (My Hurst short throw improved 3rd, but 1st to 2nd isn't there on occasion, especially when launching hard left turns.)

Can you give me a better description of how the torque limiters have helped your convertible?

hammeron 05-14-2008 10:04 AM

hey vistaGT, there's a sticky in tacobill's how to
section, that covers the procedure...

taco lifts the engine about 1/4" to do the
swap

Timmay!!! 05-14-2008 08:29 PM

Those motor mounts are hard to install right? It involves lifting the drivetrain?
Sometimes the best route isn't the easiest. After having my experience with the torque limiters and seeing what happened to Andrew's block, I'm not sure utilizing a bellhousing bolt hole to do something it was never intended to to is the best idea. Plus if you dont have them adjusted right they will rattle or possibly rip a chunk out of your block.

Diabolical! 05-14-2008 08:43 PM

Wasn't a problem. I just slipped a chunk of wood under the oil pan and jacked the motor up about an inch with a floor jack. The whole install took maybe an hour and a half.

VerginaStang 05-14-2008 09:07 PM

From my understanding, the polyurethane mounts on summit are the same whether they're red or black (according to one of their techs). However, the red set is more expensive because it includes a tranny mount, the black set does not.

I bought me a red one.... havnt installed it yet. Will do it while doing the longtubes.

moosestang 05-14-2008 09:47 PM

Until someone else rips a chunk out of their block, i'm blaming Andrew for that one. I wouldn't let the kid near my car with a wrench.:eek:

ORIGINAL: Timmay!!!

Sometimes the best route isn't the easiest. After having my experience with the torque limiters and seeing what happened to Andrew's block, I'm not sure utilizing a bellhousing bolt hole to do something it was never intended to to is the best idea. Plus if you dont have them adjusted right they will rattle or possibly rip a chunk out of your block.

mygt500 05-15-2008 02:26 AM

Who is andrew? get my on point here guys..... I am getting the motor mounts and calling it the day! Later J

Timmay!!! 05-15-2008 04:14 AM

ORIGINAL: moosestang

Until someone else rips a chunk out of their block, i'm blaming Andrew for that one. I wouldn't let the kid near my car with a wrench.:eek:

ORIGINAL: Timmay!!!

+1, I asked him if he had the TLs adjusted right and he swears they were "perfect". Perhaps in his eyes.I've been a mechanic for some years now and everyone messes up something at some point, I certainly have. You just have to admit when you've messed up and learn from it. If you aint ever broke something or did something wrong you aint ever worked.

moosestang 05-15-2008 05:30 AM

Andrew = Androdz

You won't have any problems with the motor mounts and I can't see missing shifts due to torque binding with the motor mounts. The motor mounts hold the engine pretty firm, but they transmitted more vibration than I could take. It felt like I was sitting on my exhaust pipe when I rev'd it.

ORIGINAL: mygt500

Who is andrew? get my on point here guys..... I am getting the motor mounts and calling it the day! Later J

VistaGT 05-15-2008 08:52 AM

Hey it seems like the motor mounts/k-mem brace an tq lim's make things vibrate more is that correct? And either way I was wondering if the tq lim would help the rattle my hurst has.....anyone know? ideas?
Thanks, Scott

pentavolvo 02-08-2009 09:08 PM

so what is the verdict is this brace w/torque converter helpful or do i have to worry about cracking my block or something like that

just got an 05 with 15k and its great but i worry i will have shift linkage problems

moosestang 02-09-2009 04:10 AM

I've had the torque limiters on for 2 years now i'd guess and not one problem. Everyone has seen those chevy commercials with the truck bouncing through the mud, front wheel coming off the ground and they play that like a rock song. Well that's what I drive through to get to my house every time it rains. You'd think if anyone would crack the block, it'd be me.

I'm also lowered 1.5 inches, so I basically drag the whole underside of my car through the mud.

Just tighten them down until it starts to pull on the transmission and stop, no need to completely compression the trans bushing.

pentavolvo 02-09-2009 12:19 PM

thanks for the input, what do u think would help more motor mounts or the kmember brace with trq limiters

VistaGT 02-09-2009 03:06 PM

Great thread.......lol