MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   GT S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion-49/)
-   -   Help Me Decide -- Whipple HO or Saleen 475 (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion/446369-help-me-decide-whipple-ho-or-saleen-475-a.html)

2006gtmike 05-17-2008 11:36 PM

Help Me Decide -- Whipple HO or Saleen 475

I ordered a Saleen 475 Supercharger Kit but now I'm thinking I should cancel that order and go with the Whipple HO Supercharger.
I started out wanting the Saleen, then I wanted the Whipple, and then I was swayed back to the Saleen, and NOW I'm wanting my Mustang to get Whipped. I don't know what the hell I want, haha.

I really don't plan on going over 8 lbs of boost. (I'm at sea level by the way.)
I don't plan on upgrading the engine or transmission.
I want a daily driver that runs consistent 11's.

1.)
Some people say the Saleen is more efficient and reliable, then other peoplesay the same thing about the "Gen-2" Whipple.
I don't want to put my engine/transmission under more stress and lessen the life of my car than need be.

2.)
Some people say the Saleen is a cleaner installation than the Whipple HO, and other people say they are both about the same.

3.)
Some people say Ford dealerships are more likely to beforgiving if issues occur with the Whipple because it has their Ford name on it.
Some people say that is BS because you have to register at a Ford Racing website, so Ford knows you have it installed on your car before you bring your car in for service while the Saleen they don't necessarily know you have it because technically you could uninstall it and go back to stock form. But, I know, going supercharger I should forget about warranties.

4.)
I like the louder whine of the Whipple, but I really don't want it to overpower the sound of my Borla Stinger exhaust. Will it?
The stealthy sound of the Saleen is kind of cool, but at the same time, I like to hear the beast roar, haha.

5.)
I feel the Whipple HO is a more complete kit than the Saleen 475.

6.)
And I like the look of either supercharger so looks aren't a factor for me.

Give reasons why you chose one of the 2 options please!!!! ( thought this would help you to see at a glance which one others are leaning towards!;)) J

Legion5 05-18-2008 04:02 AM

RE: Help Me Decide -- Whipple HO or Saleen 475

But, I know, going supercharger I should forget about warranties.
In america it i against federal business law for a company to deny warranty coverage on parts unrelated to a modification or the parts it effects with an automobile warranty.

Saleen offers a 3 year warranty regardless of instalation date for parts RELATED to the modification of the engine including the supercharger when running at stock boost levels (475hp with an intake) and when the supercharger is installed by a licenced installer.

Whipple offers a 1 year warranty regardless of install date when installed by a licenced installer when the kit is put on according to factory specs.

mygt500 05-18-2008 04:47 AM

I stated my reason in this thread I think it is post number 3 or something.
https://mustangforums.com/m_5076337/tm.htm

RF2.1 05-18-2008 07:42 AM

ORIGINAL: 2006gtmike
I started out wanting the Saleen, then I wanted the Whipple, and then I was swayed back to the Saleen, and NOW I'm wanting my Mustang to get Whipped. I don't know what the hell I want, haha.
Take a lot of time to figure out what you want. Buying something this big shouldn't be taken lightly as a coin toss in the end. That being said, I really think you'd probably be happy with either a Saleen or a Whipple - both are good options.

I went with the Whipple partially because the Saleen wouldn't fit under my particular hood. An odd reason, yes, but I didn't want to chop up the back of my hood. Performance wise, both options fit my personal goals for my car. Both types were also highly recommended by various people, both on these forums and off. However, I did like the look of the Whipple a little better, so that ultimately helped seal the deal in favor of the Whipple for me. In the end, it took 3 or 4 months of debating and research before I settled on the Whipple, and then I tossed around which Whipple to get for a while longer.

Either way, regardless of your reasons, make sure you know why you're getting what you're getting, as well as what you getting into.

David

EricM 05-18-2008 08:43 AM

ORIGINAL: Legion5

But, I know, going supercharger I should forget about warranties.
In america it i against federal business law for a company to deny warranty coverage on parts unrelated to a modification or the parts it effects with an automobile warranty.

Saleen offers a 3 year warranty regardless of instalation date for parts RELATED to the modification of the engine including the supercharger when running at stock boost levels (475hp with an intake) and when the supercharger is installed by a licenced installer.

Whipple offers a 1 year warranty regardless of install date when installed by a licenced installer when the kit is put on according to factory specs.
Just to clarify this, Saleen covers the remainder of your original powertrain warranty - they don't give you an additional three years of warranty. And the 1 year warranty on the Whipple HO is for the SC itself. The rest of your powertrain warranty is void.

hammeron 05-18-2008 10:12 AM

both kits are well respected in the mustang
community.

you'll be very happy with the saleen

I ordered a Saleen 475 Supercharger Kit but now I'm thinking I should
cancel that order and go with the Whipple HO Supercharger.

CataclysmGT 05-18-2008 11:26 AM

The Whipple is a more complete kit. The intercooler core and heat exchanger are both bigger, and you get the GT500 fuel system as well. I don't see a reason to go with the Saleen unless you get a smokin' deal on one.

moosestang 05-18-2008 01:47 PM

Everything in #3 is crap! Ford racing doesn't tell Ford who registered their supercharger and your local ford dealer ain't going to give a crap what supercharger you have on you car if it caused a failure.

#4 Nothing is going to over power your borla stingers. You'll barely hear the whipple.

BlueOvalBlood 05-18-2008 04:58 PM

GTMIKE,
I have been pondering over the same issues and back and forth as you. I have spent a little overa year now looking at what is the best overall (in my opinion) from things I have read, talked to various speed shops and tune guys,and heard back from others running these systems)
I have researched all the s/c kits. Like you, I also came down to the Saleen and the Whipple. I was decided on the Whipple until recently when I flipped back to the Saleen. HOwever, After talking to some more local tune shops and a few guys running each system...I feel teh Whipple kit gives you the best all around. Again this is my opinion, so please you Saleen guys dont nail me to a cross, but if you look at what you get with the Whipple kit (large intercooler, heat exchanger, fuel pumps..etc) and thefact that Whipple went to Ford and spent a lot of time putting this tailored kit together for the 3Vs...adding to what I have heard by guys running it, and what the tune guys in my area say...I am now leaning towards the Whipple and will be ordering within the next 60 days.
Either way, I think you will be happy with either kit and get great results.
Just my two cents...

SONICBOOST3 05-18-2008 07:30 PM

Both are great but i would take the whipple for the whine. Thats is I had to go T/S:eek: Also it's not just for you to hear, its for the people outside of the car to hear as well;)

drbobvs 05-18-2008 08:47 PM

OK Mike, both kits are fine for what you want to do with it. I don't hink you'll be disappointed either way. But since no one else had the heart/guts to tell you, I will.

I really don't plan on going over 8 lbs of boost
does not equal [quote]a daily driver that runs consistent 11's.[/quote]

2006gtmike 05-20-2008 12:39 AM

So now I made up my mind and changed my order to the Whipple HO Kit but now they want to charge me $200 for shipping and handling while the Saleen 475 kit had free shipping and handling.

I wanted to support a forum sponsor but not at the expense of $200.

I thought I've seen the Whipple HO for sale with free shipping...

mygt500 05-20-2008 01:19 AM

Good question...check around but the decision you made IMO is the right one!;)

Black GT 05-20-2008 01:21 AM

Make shipping costs as factor #7 on the list. ;)

2006gtmike 05-20-2008 01:28 AM

Yeah, the Whipple HO seems to be in the majority.

I talked to someone at Lethal Performance and they offered free shipping.

THR whom I ordered from states on their website that they will price match competitors.

07gttom 05-20-2008 08:08 AM

So now I made up my mind and changed my order to the Whipple HO Kit but now they want to charge me $200 for shipping and handling while the Saleen 475 kit had free shipping and handling.

shop around for the whipple, it can be had for different prices, some cheaper then some, there are allot of places that sell it with free shipping included. I would not pay 200 for shipping, as i didn't. If you want further info, pm me

RedStang06 05-20-2008 11:32 AM

Automatic = Saleen s/c

Manual = Whipple s/c

zkiller 05-20-2008 12:24 PM

just buy what you want and make your own decision on the supercharger rather than basing it on input from anonymous Internet people.

sactown 05-20-2008 12:27 PM

ORIGINAL: RedStang06

Automatic = Saleen s/c

Manual = Whipple s/c
Just curious, but why would you make that statement?
A/T=Saleen SC
Manual= Whipple SC

blackS197 05-20-2008 12:41 PM

I got the whipple for the sweet whine.

drbobvs 05-20-2008 01:01 PM

A/T=Saleen SC
Manual= Whipple SC
Yeah, I would tend to agree. The whipple HO is/was designed for the manual, and you can only get a tune from whipple for the manual. Now there are tuners who will tune a HO for an auto ,like VMP, but if you want to stick with the whipple FRPP tune you need to have a manual.

The Saleen, on the other hand, has tunes for both direct from Saleen, but you canget a real killer tune easily from JDM, Brenspeed, or VMP too.

sactown 05-20-2008 02:01 PM

Hmmm, I did not know the FRPP whipples only had manual tunes, but then again I never researched anything specifically for A/T, since I have a manual transmission.

moosestang 05-20-2008 02:19 PM

I only paid $80 shipping, $200 seems excessive. It's not that freaking heavy. Call Tousley Ford and see what their price is with shipping. They have been, by far, the lowest, but I don't know what they charge for shipping.

moosestang 05-20-2008 02:22 PM

ORIGINAL: sactown

Hmmm, I did not know the FRPP whipples only had manual tunes, but then again I never researched anything specifically for A/T, since I have a manual transmission.
They will tune an auto, but you have to send them your pcm, I believe. They only sell a 7psi kit for the autos though. Apparently the whipple is an automatic killer and an engine killer.:eek:

sactown 05-20-2008 02:37 PM

Yeah I glanced at that thread a while back, thought it a bit strange.

moosestang 05-20-2008 04:55 PM

ORIGINAL: drbobvs

OK Mike, both kits are fine for what you want to do with it. I don't hink you'll be disappointed either way. But since no one else had the heart/guts to tell you, I will.

8 lbs of boost does not equal a daily driver that runs consistent 11's.

I don't think that's necessarily true. With the right supporting mods and enough weight reduction, you should be able to run consistent 11's if you are a good driver.

drbobvs 05-20-2008 05:28 PM

Well, I have never seen an 8psi DD run consistent 11's. There are people on this forum such as myself and Stkjock running 10 psi, and 11's still elude us. Perhaps it's the weight (4000 lbs with driver) of our verts, but when I was at the track last, I saw no one running 11's who was not at least 10psi. Now I'm not saying it's not possible, hell, spyder runs 11's in N/A trim. But what the OP said was a DD, and as such, I think that really limits you to the weight savings and other mods you can do before it's not a practical DD anymore. I know I would never drive my car around with the passenger and rear seats removed, along with the spare, jack and trunk liner in the garage, or with a 4000 stall converter for that matter. But perhaps some peopleconsider a DD as something different than I do.

Black GT 05-20-2008 10:12 PM

ORIGINAL: blackS197

I got the whipple for the sweet whine.
My Saleen has a nice whine to it as well when I step on it.

You can't go wrong with either one. :D

MartyMoose 05-20-2008 10:43 PM

ORIGINAL: sactown

ORIGINAL: RedStang06

Automatic = Saleen s/c

Manual = Whipple s/c
A/T=Saleen SC
Manual= Whipple SC

A baseless, uneducated statement.

To the OP: Good luck and enjoy whichever you choose.