Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Help Me Decide -- Whipple HO or Saleen 475

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 11:36 PM
2006gtmike
2nd Gear Member

Default Help Me Decide -- Whipple HO or Saleen 475

I ordered a Saleen 475 Supercharger Kit but now I'm thinking I should cancel that order and go with the Whipple HO Supercharger.
I started out wanting the Saleen, then I wanted the Whipple, and then I was swayed back to the Saleen, and NOW I'm wanting my Mustang to get Whipped. I don't know what the hell I want, haha.

I really don't plan on going over 8 lbs of boost. (I'm at sea level by the way.)
I don't plan on upgrading the engine or transmission.
I want a daily driver that runs consistent 11's.

1.)
Some people say the Saleen is more efficient and reliable, then other peoplesay the same thing about the "Gen-2" Whipple.
I don't want to put my engine/transmission under more stress and lessen the life of my car than need be.

2.)
Some people say the Saleen is a cleaner installation than the Whipple HO, and other people say they are both about the same.

3.)
Some people say Ford dealerships are more likely to beforgiving if issues occur with the Whipple because it has their Ford name on it.
Some people say that is BS because you have to register at a Ford Racing website, so Ford knows you have it installed on your car before you bring your car in for service while the Saleen they don't necessarily know you have it because technically you could uninstall it and go back to stock form. But, I know, going supercharger I should forget about warranties.

4.)
I like the louder whine of the Whipple, but I really don't want it to overpower the sound of my Borla Stinger exhaust. Will it?
The stealthy sound of the Saleen is kind of cool, but at the same time, I like to hear the beast roar, haha.

5.)
I feel the Whipple HO is a more complete kit than the Saleen 475.

6.)
And I like the look of either supercharger so looks aren't a factor for me.

Give reasons why you chose one of the 2 options please!!!! ( thought this would help you to see at a glance which one others are leaning towards!) J
Old 05-18-2008, 04:02 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Help Me Decide -- Whipple HO or Saleen 475

But, I know, going supercharger I should forget about warranties.
In america it i against federal business law for a company to deny warranty coverage on parts unrelated to a modification or the parts it effects with an automobile warranty.

Saleen offers a 3 year warranty regardless of instalation date for parts RELATED to the modification of the engine including the supercharger when running at stock boost levels (475hp with an intake) and when the supercharger is installed by a licenced installer.

Whipple offers a 1 year warranty regardless of install date when installed by a licenced installer when the kit is put on according to factory specs.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:47 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I stated my reason in this thread I think it is post number 3 or something.
https://mustangforums.com/m_5076337/tm.htm
Old 05-18-2008, 07:42 AM
RF2.1
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2006gtmike
I started out wanting the Saleen, then I wanted the Whipple, and then I was swayed back to the Saleen, and NOW I'm wanting my Mustang to get Whipped. I don't know what the hell I want, haha.
Take a lot of time to figure out what you want. Buying something this big shouldn't be taken lightly as a coin toss in the end. That being said, I really think you'd probably be happy with either a Saleen or a Whipple - both are good options.

I went with the Whipple partially because the Saleen wouldn't fit under my particular hood. An odd reason, yes, but I didn't want to chop up the back of my hood. Performance wise, both options fit my personal goals for my car. Both types were also highly recommended by various people, both on these forums and off. However, I did like the look of the Whipple a little better, so that ultimately helped seal the deal in favor of the Whipple for me. In the end, it took 3 or 4 months of debating and research before I settled on the Whipple, and then I tossed around which Whipple to get for a while longer.

Either way, regardless of your reasons, make sure you know why you're getting what you're getting, as well as what you getting into.

David
Old 05-18-2008, 08:43 AM
EricM
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Legion5

But, I know, going supercharger I should forget about warranties.
In america it i against federal business law for a company to deny warranty coverage on parts unrelated to a modification or the parts it effects with an automobile warranty.

Saleen offers a 3 year warranty regardless of instalation date for parts RELATED to the modification of the engine including the supercharger when running at stock boost levels (475hp with an intake) and when the supercharger is installed by a licenced installer.

Whipple offers a 1 year warranty regardless of install date when installed by a licenced installer when the kit is put on according to factory specs.
Just to clarify this, Saleen covers the remainder of your original powertrain warranty - they don't give you an additional three years of warranty. And the 1 year warranty on the Whipple HO is for the SC itself. The rest of your powertrain warranty is void.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:12 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

both kits are well respected in the mustang
community.

you'll be very happy with the saleen

ORIGINAL: 2006gtmike

I ordered a Saleen 475 Supercharger Kit but now I'm thinking I should
cancel that order and go with the Whipple HO Supercharger.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:26 AM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

The Whipple is a more complete kit. The intercooler core and heat exchanger are both bigger, and you get the GT500 fuel system as well. I don't see a reason to go with the Saleen unless you get a smokin' deal on one.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:47 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Everything in #3 is crap! Ford racing doesn't tell Ford who registered their supercharger and your local ford dealer ain't going to give a crap what supercharger you have on you car if it caused a failure.

#4 Nothing is going to over power your borla stingers. You'll barely hear the whipple.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:58 PM
BlueOvalBlood
2nd Gear Member

GTMIKE,
I have been pondering over the same issues and back and forth as you. I have spent a little overa year now looking at what is the best overall (in my opinion) from things I have read, talked to various speed shops and tune guys,and heard back from others running these systems)
I have researched all the s/c kits. Like you, I also came down to the Saleen and the Whipple. I was decided on the Whipple until recently when I flipped back to the Saleen. HOwever, After talking to some more local tune shops and a few guys running each system...I feel teh Whipple kit gives you the best all around. Again this is my opinion, so please you Saleen guys dont nail me to a cross, but if you look at what you get with the Whipple kit (large intercooler, heat exchanger, fuel pumps..etc) and thefact that Whipple went to Ford and spent a lot of time putting this tailored kit together for the 3Vs...adding to what I have heard by guys running it, and what the tune guys in my area say...I am now leaning towards the Whipple and will be ordering within the next 60 days.
Either way, I think you will be happy with either kit and get great results.
Just my two cents...
Old 05-18-2008, 07:30 PM
SONICBOOST3
2nd Gear Member

Both are great but i would take the whipple for the whine. Thats is I had to go T/S Also it's not just for you to hear, its for the people outside of the car to hear as well

Quick Reply: Help Me Decide -- Whipple HO or Saleen 475