Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Thanks for 1/8 Track Pointers

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 10:30 AM
kcmarti
2nd Gear Member

Default Thanks for 1/8 Track Pointers

I am heading out to Summerduck Dragway (1/8 mile) this coming Thursday. This will be my 'Stangs first visit to any track and my first time to a track since 1979 (when I was running a auto 69 Plymouth Satellite 383 w/Holley 750 factory header and Thrush mufflers = ~365HP). Question for you N/A manual track gurus: (1) I am running the stock 235/50ZR18 KDWSs, what tire pressure should I use? (2) Traction control on or off? Launch RPM (manual)? (3) Do I need to hit the water box and smoke'm before the runs? (4) Any other pointers I need to be aware of for lowering g 60 ft times, total time, trap speed, etc... (I am open to all suggestions)? I am hoping to not get to embarrassed by a friend who will be running with me in a built-out Grand National with M/Ts. Especially since I will be taking my 17 year daughter with me for her first ever visit to any track.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:45 AM
okbfd
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Request for 1/8 Track Pointers

Do not use the water box unless you have DRs. Go around and do a quick burn to clean the tire.

TC....definitely off

Tire pressure......mixed reviews.....first time, it's probably wise to leave it as is, or decrease rears slightly....not too much or the radials will cup.

It's a good idea to watch a few runs from the stands to get the flow of things. Bring a helmet.

Most tracks require one for sub 14 times.

Launch RPM.....try 2500 to 3000. Be sure to feather clutch slightly or you will burn baby burn.

Leave on the last yellow, although it really doesn't matter if all you are going todo is compare times. If you line up next to the GN your R/T will matter who crosses the line first, but not the actual times.

If you are running a "built" Grand National you better start making excuses now....[&:] I ran a stock one and barely squeaked by with a win.

Good luck and have fun.......and you will have fun

Old 05-19-2008, 12:13 PM
06VistaBlueGT
3rd Gear Member

^ What he said

The most important thing is to have fun. Don't worry about embarassing yourself, it's bound to happen. I've been racing for a couple years and I still embarass myself. Heck,I missed 2nd on back to back races last weekend.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:03 PM
Z06 Killer
3rd Gear Member

You are going to get pounded by that GN! My dad had one in the early 90's and when it was stock with a set or DR's on it he droped a 13.9* in the 1/4
Old 05-19-2008, 08:21 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Honestly, you are going to have a tough time with those tires. pretty much what everyone else said, stay out of the water and I would actually suggest you leave soft. i.e. I would dump the clutch at half throttle and then as the car was grabbing I'd go WOT. It's a trick to cut lower 60's on crap tires. It will feel like you're taking off slower, but when you get your slip, your 60's and ET will be lower.

Just go and have a good time and don't worry about times, speed, or anybody else. You're taking your daughter, so just focus on the fun of drag racing and the experience and don't sweat what you run or how you do. Just have fun.

When the bug bites you (and it will) - then get yourself some tires, start the bolt on's like everybody else and then get more into it.

I'll see you at the meetings....

Hi, my name is Mark and I'm a mod addict...[sm=partyparty.gif]
Old 05-20-2008, 12:41 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

Take some pics while your out there, with your car and daughter
Old 05-20-2008, 11:34 PM
68ss350
2nd Gear Member

haha i just posted this. I have the same as you with stock tires. I lowered them to 25PSI. I held the RPM at around 3k then slowly let the clutch out while not flooring it. I managed to cut a 2.0 60' on those crappy tires!!! I ran an 8.8 at 80.5 MPH. That was bone stock, dont worry just have fun. My first run was a 9.04. I ran like 8 9.0s and now get a lot of 8.90s. HAVE FUN
Old 05-22-2008, 04:06 AM
kcmarti
2nd Gear Member

I've been practicing my launch on some somewhat deserted battlefield roads and have found that it is very easy to spin when you do not want to. Although I am going to run without TC like everyone has mentioned, I still have to ask - why not (or why doesn't anyone) use traction control at the track?
Old 05-22-2008, 02:37 PM
okbfd
4th Gear Member

TC reduces your power when it engages......simplistic explanation. You might get a better launch with TCS on with no experience, but, as you get better at launching your times would suffer. Practice, practice, practice
Old 05-22-2008, 11:51 PM
JTE_502
2nd Gear Member

The traction control will kill your power quickly to make you get traction, you will think something happened to your engine when it kicks in, definately leave it off. You want just a little bit of wheel spin for optimum anyways. It's a fine balancing act on the stock tires, when I went a couple weeks ago I would either bog launching under 3K rpm, or blow the tires off going much above 3K. The really brutal part, and get prepared for it because your going to feel it bad, is that when your car even comes close to hooking you are going to have violent wheel hop. It is really terrible on these cars with the stock suspension. Mine was doing it so badly I was afraid something was going to break before the night was over. You will probably be coming home and ordering a set of lower control arms like I was! The best 60' I managed to cut on the stock tires was like a 1.95 or so, with a lot of 2.0 and 2.1's, and my best times were a lot of 8.9's @ around 85-86 mph. If the GN you are racing with has much done at all, like the others said, be getting your excuses ready in advance HAVE FUN!

Quick Reply: Thanks for 1/8 Track Pointers