Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Quick Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 12:04 AM
yc420
2nd Gear Member

Default Quick Question

I plan on getting the following parts all at once:

SCT XCalibrator3
JLT CAI
Underdrive Pulleys
Charge Motion Plates
Aluminum Driveshaft
Dyno Tune
Lower Control Arms
Off Road X Pipe

Do you think that the purchase of all these parts + the installation is worth $3,000? I recently drove up to BlowByRacing which isn't too far from my house and the guy printed an invoice for me which included the above plus the installation. It came out to be almost 3 grand. Is it worth it?
Old 06-16-2008, 12:19 AM
xxDerek
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Quick Question

Well, to be honest, you could do the Tuner, Intake, UDP, LCA's and Off Road X yourself... I'd say have them do the driveshaft/CMDP if you didn't want to, but you could even do those... but that first set of things all should take you a day or two to do it all....
Old 06-16-2008, 12:35 AM
yc420
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xxDerek

Well, to be honest, you could do the Tuner, Intake, UDP, LCA's and Off Road X yourself... I'd say have them do the driveshaft/CMDP if you didn't want to, but you could even do those... but that first set of things all should take you a day or two to do it all....
I'm only 16 and I'm just entering the automotive world. I only know so much about cars. I'm very independent so if I did do something I'd probably do it alone. I'll see if I can try to find guides or something that could help me install the parts I'm looking to buy. If you know of any guides please post links to them. I'm not sure if the search option is working but I will look into it. One of the main reasons why I would want them to install it is if anything goes wrong I can simply take it back to them and they can look into it. I'm also pretty sure that I would need a liftto install some of these parts and I don't have one. I may not need a lift but a lift would make my life much much easier, would it not?
Old 06-16-2008, 09:36 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

All those parts from Brenspeed comes out to about $2050, that includes a Brenspeed tune NOT a dyno tune. If he is going to give you a dyno tune too, then it's not too terrible of a price. Most of those things can be easily installed in your driveway with a set of ramps or jack stands.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with a dyno tune and just go with a custom mail order tune. I don't see a need for a dyno tune unless you're running FI or a big shot of nitrous.

I didn't really know anything about cars before my Mustang either, but I was able to install my intake, tune, short shifter, and charge motion plates just by following the howto's provided here. I would have installed my UDP myself also, but I wasn't able to get the bolt off the crank pulley. I'll be installing an O/R X-pipe myself soon too. The intake and tune are stupid easy to install.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:45 AM
cbrstng08
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: yc420

I'll see if I can try to find guides or something that could help me install the parts I'm looking to buy. If you know of any guides please post links to them.
https://mustangforums.com/m_3061754/tm.htm

Welcome to the wonderful world of Taco Bill, here you will step by step how to's on how to install everything in your list in your own driveway. They are all detailed with pictures. Enjoy!
Old 06-16-2008, 10:30 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Sounds like a pretty good list. If you do not go the track often, you may want to rethink your Charge Motion Delete Plates - Brenspeed does not recommend them for street use (you will lose a bit on the bottom end).

You can checklabor times by going to steeda's site. They usually post completion time on all of their mods. Then multiply the shop's labor rate by the number of hours to get your labor cost. You could also shop around online and check their pricing on the mods on your list.

Good luck!

HTH
Old 06-16-2008, 11:40 AM
brad281
4th Gear Member

I don't think its worth that much. Your only 16 and you have a mustang gt? Nice. The intake install and tune are very,very simple. The charge motion plates, and driveshaft would be a little much for a novice intaller. A dyno tune's great, but is it really needed for those type mods? A bama or brenspeed canned tune would be just fine. Are you sure you want the charge motion plates for a dd?
Old 06-16-2008, 02:14 PM
yc420
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: acascianelli

All those parts from Brenspeed comes out to about $2050, that includes a Brenspeed tune NOT a dyno tune. If he is going to give you a dyno tune too, then it's not too terrible of a price. Most of those things can be easily installed in your driveway with a set of ramps or jack stands.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with a dyno tune and just go with a custom mail order tune. I don't see a need for a dyno tune unless you're running FI or a big shot of nitrous.

I didn't really know anything about cars before my Mustang either, but I was able to install my intake, tune, short shifter, and charge motion plates just by following the howto's provided here. I would have installed my UDP myself also, but I wasn't able to get the bolt off the crank pulley. I'll be installing an O/R X-pipe myself soon too. The intake and tune are stupid easy to install.
Thanks for all your input. I will definitely re-think my decision. I'm glad I posted.

I realized that I can't multi quote but I want to thank everyone for all their feedback. I read all posts several times. Also cbrstng08, Taco Bill's pictures and mod list was what gave me the idea to go with a chin spoiler and thick racing stripes. Thank you very much everyone.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:26 PM
ybnormal
2nd Gear Member

Beautiful car you got there.I take it that it is still at stock heigth? The list seems a very good one to start with. Using taco bills how to s is the way to go. just pay attention and if you need to take your own pics along the way.
research the driveshaft a little because some require you to use an adapter plate that requires you to reset up rear end spacing. The Dyno tune if done right is probably better for your car/hp than a canned tune and you would know what your car is making and running across the board. 3000 is not to bad for a shop doing it but we most of us on here feel up to the task. I think you can do most of it to.
I cannot comment on the charge motion plates because Ive never dealt with them.
Good luck and keep us informed.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:29 PM
ronjon400
1st Gear Member

i have an 07' that urs looks just like....nice choice u got good taste my friend!

Quick Reply: Quick Question