Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 05:54 PM
2digits
1st Gear Member

Default Cold Air Intake

Hello Fellow (GT) S197 Owners. My name is Kyle, and I was wondering if any of you have the following setup?
http://www.brenspeed.com/mustang_2005/images/jlt2.gifor atleast any advice on a CAI Tuner Package. That will performe without breaking the bank.

Here is a list of my following concerns:
-Voiding my Warrenty
-Having tune it myself, and messing up
-Not being able to run 87octane
-Throttle response
-Sound

Further more I am planning on selling my stock tires on my 17" Bullitt's for winter tires. So my CAI has to be compatible for winter driving in Canada. (Have some 20" Shelby Torq-Thrust being deliverd)

Sorry to Mustang Loyalist. I can't afford not to drive my car in the winter; but that dosen't diminish my love for the car. I will get it detailed every week of winter to prevent corrosion.

Included is a crappy cell phone picture of my car.

Modlist: Antenna Delete, Spoiler Delete (working on welding up the wholes)
Old 06-21-2008, 06:10 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Default RE: Cold Air Intake

I have the Steeda CAI/SCT package from Brenspeed. They will give you tunes already loaded on the SCT. If your state has strict emissions laws, have Brenspeed give you an emissions friendly tune with the package.

I put my vert away for the winter too.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:22 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Any of the Brenspeed packages are fine. All of the CAI's are equivalent in performance. Brenspeed's tunes are some of the best and you'll get 3 octane tunes, including 87. To be honest, the difference between the 87 stock tune and 87 custom tune is unbelievable. Bigger than than the difference between the 87 custom and 93 custom tunes. Call Brenspeed with all of your questions. Choose the combo that suits your wallet and pleases your eyes.

The CAI & tune will improve throttle response. Some say the sound is louder but I didn't notice any change over the tone of my Stingers.

Many folks here store their Stang's in the winter. That doesn't make anyone less a loyalist. I store my Stang in the winter and don't even drive my Stang as my daily driver (DD) (and I STILL manage to put 17,000 miles/year on it).

Don't sweat the warranty. Ford can only exempt warranty work if it's the mod that cuased the problem. A lot of people simply flash back to stock and reinstall the stock airbox (about a 15 minute job) if and when they return to the dealer.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:42 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

The JLTII + a 93 Octane Mailorder Tune (from a different tuner) picked up my car up 4/10 and 3 mph in the 1/4 mi but it makes a bigger difference in feel. I drove Scott's stock 2005 the week before it went 13.27 @ 104 and I thought something was wrong with it.
It felt that much slower and that unresponsive compared to my car. Fuel mileage increased 10% City and 7% Highway which offset the extra price for Premium. You will get both regular and premium tunes so you can experiment to see what gives the best combo of performance and economy. Brenspeed is a well respected tuner and should serve you well.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:59 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nuke

Any of the Brenspeed packages are fine. All of the CAI's are equivalent in performance. Brenspeed's tunes are some of the best and you'll get 3 octane tunes, including 87. To be honest, the difference between the 87 stock tune and 87 custom tune is unbelievable. Bigger than than the difference between the 87 custom and 93 custom tunes. Call Brenspeed with all of your questions. Choose the combo that suits your wallet and pleases your eyes.

The CAI & tune will improve throttle response. Some say the sound is louder but I didn't notice any change over the tone of my Stingers.

Many folks here store their Stang's in the winter. That doesn't make anyone less a loyalist. I store my Stang in the winter and don't even drive my Stang as my daily driver (DD) (and I STILL manage to put 17,000 miles/year on it).

Don't sweat the warranty. Ford can only exempt warranty work if it's the mod that cuased the problem. A lot of people simply flash back to stock and reinstall the stock airbox (about a 15 minute job) if and when they return to the dealer.
+1 except I do drive mine in the winter(because I have to at this point)it is my DD and I only put ~6k miles per year. Oh and I dont have stingers but I did not notice any sound difference.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:09 AM
2digits
1st Gear Member

Thanks Everyone!

I bleed blue

Thanks for the information, it was more then helpfulmy only grey area would be. What kind of power increase would I expect to find, and the differences in power, throttle response, and sound between the different tunning levels?

Also I Wikipedia'd Cold Air Intake, and it said under disadvantages:

(Quote)Cold air intakes
[ul][*]hinder the evaporation of the fuel droplets[*]increase the risk of ice in the intake [/ul]
and thus like all intakes need an electric heater for cold weather. (End Quote)

Dosen't seem to relevent to my situation because my car has a block heater, and I plan on warming my car up before I drive it on colder days.

To further dwell into the CAI conversation. I was wondering how original can you make one?

I've seen "Tuned by ______" Stickers
Colour Match Sleeves
Different Colour Air Cleaners
Carbon Fiber

What Companies provide the following?In particular the Tuned by sticker. I just think it seems badass.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:17 PM
2digits
1st Gear Member

Stupid comment?
Old 06-30-2008, 07:43 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

Wikipedia? Come on. You should have came here and studied, looked for any info on a s197. As octane increases, generally a few hp increases also. Also depends on how aggressive you tune is. Throttle response is a big difference, especially auto owners. Since performance wouldn't be a top priority for winter? Why don't you just switch back to the stock intka eand stock tune since you're obviuosly worried about it?[:-]If you want to rice out a nice car, put those stupid stickers on.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:33 PM
2digits
1st Gear Member

Hey Thanks brad281,

I wasen't planning on putting the sticker on the exterior of my car [:'(]
My style is pretty clean, I just saw a CAI with a Tuned by:Brenspeed sticker on it (JLT) I thought it was pretty cleaver.

God damn I wish I had more money.

Willing tosell self respect for aCAI & Tuner