Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

First Mod

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 09:44 PM
flyingt
2nd Gear Member

Default First Mod

I am debating what my first mod will be. What I am stuck on is the best bang for buck with hp. My limit this month 4-5 hundred so this is what I have to play. How true is it that a electric water pump increases hp up to 15 hp and the same holds true with the plasma ignition? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want to go after the C&L, but have to wait on chip till next month. Man, so many things, but don't know were to start.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:16 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

Default RE: First Mod

i will be the first to say that the plasma booster ignition really doesnt add much power if any...MM&FF dyno's the 05 with the ignition and the best it got was 3.2HP.

1. start off by removing the air restrictor honeycomb thing in your intake (5 free HP)
2. save up a little bit more money and get you a CAI and a programmer.
3. change out your gears to atleast 3.73's if not 4.10's
4. get you some underdrive pulleys
5. mod your exhaust for a sound that will match your power.

By then, you'll get the idea. be careful though, modding this car and adding HP is an addiction...VERY HARD TO STOP!!![sm=gears.gif]
Old 05-01-2005, 10:57 PM
delurker
3rd Gear Member

Why would anyone want to stop?
Old 05-02-2005, 12:45 AM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: delurker

Why would anyone want to stop?
you know, that is the question i ask myself each week when i order more stuff for my car...obviously by the lack of money saved and all the stuff on my car, i answer that question the same way you did... new tires and rims getting put on tomorrow or tuesday
Old 05-02-2005, 02:33 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: mac10chap

i will be the first to say that the plasma booster ignition really doesnt add much power if any...MM&FF dyno's the 05 with the ignition and the best it got was 3.2HP.

Wow...talk about mixed emotions. I was really...REALLY sold on that unit. Actually have filled out the order page twice now and just never submitted the order. So you have truly bummed me out with the results. But on the other hand, I am very happy that you have tested it for us. $84 per HP is not a very enticing ratio! Although I do wish you had the opportunity to test pre and post without all the other mods you did before you hit the dyno ( if I remember right, you did several mods including the plasma booster before you went back, right? )
Actually, I kinda wish you could have done the same with your gears. Would like to read direct results. I am reading more and more threads on various boards where people are saying that the 4.10 gear change is pretty much negating the HP gain of their underdrive pullys. In fact, I have read where two people have gone back to their stock gearsets and actually picked up time in the 1/4.

What issue of MM&FF did you read about the plasma booster in? I must have missed it. And thanks for saving me the cash. I owe ya a beer!
Old 05-02-2005, 05:53 AM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

dont get me wrong. the ignition is supposed to reduce engine fatigue due to a more well rounded spark and increase gas mileage at the same time. i think the only performance you will see however is the lack of a misfire and in turn, giving you that extra edge in HP. from what i hear, the ignition really only comes into play when you are doing more serious mods though. i just started a little early...planning ahead
Old 05-02-2005, 09:30 PM
flyingt
2nd Gear Member

Would I gain hp just from the programmer to start and if so what is the opinions for the best one out there right now? Also what are the opinions for hp with an electric water pump versus are mechanical one? Sorry to ask so many questions I am just acting like a sponge absorbing all I can.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:58 PM
mustangjosh
1st Gear Member

yes you would gain hp with just the programmer I would go with the superchips there stuff pretty good quality
Old 05-03-2005, 01:18 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Depends on the amount of control and input you want to have with your own tuning.

Personally, I went with the Diablo Predator. I can control all the different aspects of my tune, plus other things like gear ratio adjustments, fan speeds and thermostat tempatures, little things like that.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:13 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hawgman

Depends on the amount of control and input you want to have with your own tuning.

Personally, I went with the Diablo Predator. I can control all the different aspects of my tune, plus other things like gear ratio adjustments, fan speeds and thermostat tempatures, little things like that.
hey hawgman, how extensive is that diablo tuner??? can you adjust your air-fuel ratio, tire size, timing, etc...? if so, then i am gonna toss the SCT and order the diablo

Quick Reply: First Mod