Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

engine sputtering at track

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 08:48 PM
blksunshine

Default engine sputtering at track

has anyone else had the problem of the enging sputtering during hard left turns? It seems to be fuel pickup related, but this is happening with just over a 1/2 tank. Do we not have baffles in our fuel tanks, or is there something else going on?
thx
Old 06-30-2008, 06:49 PM
blksunshine

Default RE: engine sputtering at track

nothing? I can't be the only one with this problem.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:47 PM
A_J
2nd Gear Member

I was curious about fuel starvation on cornering too, though I haven't had it happen in the GT I've seen it on other cars.. I posted and got no answers either.

You running any mods that may be placing more demands on the fuel system? FI, larger injectors, etc?
Old 07-01-2008, 08:52 PM
blksunshine

i've got no mods other than a Brenspeed 93 oct tune. I've seen a diagram of the fuel tank and it seems to be a saddle tank type with only 1 line leading to the engine. I'm wondering if there's a pump to push fuel to the other side of the tank.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:02 PM
sevenleaf
3rd Gear Member

There is a black plastic tube that connects to the 2 sender units. The tube connects to the white wierd looking splitter connected to the fuel pumps. There is a rubber duckbill on that same white piece that when the pumps prime they start a suction from the other sender behind the passanger seat. The fuel flows from the passenger side and dumped into the driver side.

"Here is my work in progress. I spliced ford twin gt pumps into the stock hat, replaced all the wiring and deleted the pprv valve. Replaced the cheap plastic tube with gates submersible. Any other questions?

Old 07-01-2008, 09:18 PM
blksunshine

wow, that's some setup. It sounds like my passenger side pump is weak. I wonder if the Ford GT pumps would be to much for just a N/A unmodded motor. Thanks for the info though.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:26 PM
sevenleaf
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blksunshine

wow, that's some setup. It sounds like my passenger side pump is weak. I wonder if the Ford GT pumps would be to much for just a N/A unmodded motor. Thanks for the info though.
You miss understood what I said, there is no "pump" on the passenger side, The plastic tube that connects the first picture I posted to this picture. It's fed by suction.

PASSANGER SIDE

DRIVER SIDE
Old 07-01-2008, 09:27 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

I dont think this is a common problem, Ive seen very few posts on this issue. What year is the car? As a point of reference - mine is an 07 and I have done lots of lateral, high G turns (AutoX and Track) without any 'sputtering' issues. Good luck finding the fix.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:45 PM
blksunshine

Sevenleaf: thanks for clarifying. I'm definately having issues with fuel flowing from the passenger to drivers side.

Argonaut: I have an 07 as well, but my first instructor has an 06 GT and said it happened to him at half a tank. I'm curious, how low on fuel have you gone at the track?
Old 07-01-2008, 10:03 PM
sevenleaf
3rd Gear Member

What do you mean by left turns? Does it not happen when you go right or straight? Mines 07 too.

Quick Reply: engine sputtering at track