Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

exhaust sounds

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 04:56 PM
lonestarwill

Default exhaust sounds

i have a 05 gt with long tube headers, the x midpipes, and flowmaster mufflers. the sounds is as ive been told "raspy". i do not like it and wondering what i can do to get a deeper muscle sound instead. looked at slp loudmouth axlebacks but not sure. new to this stuff. any advise??
Old 07-06-2008, 05:20 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Default RE: exhaust sounds

Get rid of the X. That's why it's raspy for the most part. Get an H or mac prochamber.

You can go even further with the deepness by changing your mufflers to macs or borlas. Those are probably the deepest. Bassani is pretty deep too. But all of those will drone quite a lot.

Also, I'd MUCH prefer boomtubes over loudmouths. Search youtube for boomtubes, they sound great. I've been tempted to switch to boomtubes myself, even though these Corsas are very good already (just not very loud at idle).
Old 07-06-2008, 05:37 PM
mynameismike65
4th Gear Member

DO NOT GET LM"S WITH LT"S AND AN O/R MIDPIPE!!!!! I get so tired of people doing this because it just sounds loud. there is a difference between being loud and people being like "damn that sounds good" or being loud and people being like "thats obnoxious". When I get LT's I am going with a full Mac setup. Prochamber, Mac a/b's and LT's. The other setup that sounds amazing is LT's with o/r H and either the stingers or GTA's. Loose the x and flows IMO.

FULL MAC SETUP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aUXBDVd-vc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUSfLyvN54k

LT'S O/R H GTA's (fellow MFer)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJI96jNV-84
Old 07-06-2008, 05:53 PM
dschmink
3rd Gear Member

+1 x pipe removal.
Now that being said...
I have stock headers, bassani modular X and bassani "race" axle backs and it's almost as quiet as stock when sitting at a light but as soon as you accelerate it's got a nice deep rumble.
It isn't too raspy unless you rev to 2500 and then snap the throttle to produce that raspy snap X's are famous for.
Also I still have the cats on so that may help too. If you want a sound vid I can see what I can do but it'll be on my cell phone
Old 07-06-2008, 06:42 PM
jmose77
2nd Gear Member

This video may help you with your decision. http://s283.photobucket.com/albums/k...Mustang3_1.flv
Old 07-06-2008, 09:41 PM
lonestarwill

can i do anything with the setup like it is by just shanging the flows or will the x have to go since i already have money invested??
Old 07-06-2008, 09:43 PM
dschmink
3rd Gear Member

Generally speaking X pipes give rasp, H pipes give rumble.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:44 PM
lonestarwill

ok, thanks for the input.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:18 PM
mustanglouie
2nd Gear Member

try welding in a set of resonators. I did and it got rid of most of the drone and trumpeting and also made the exhaust note deeper.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:52 PM
lonestarwill

the h pipe? all i c on sites are x pipes. is the h pipe the factory one? looking at the mac a/b. any comments on that with the x pipes and long tube headers?

Quick Reply: exhaust sounds