Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

3v with internal modifications

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 01:57 PM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

Default 3v with internal modifications

So my buddy ordered his Livernois stroker kit for his 06 and also plans on getting a mild porting job and cams while the stroker is being installed. He has full bolt ons including lots of suspension stuff like adjustable CAs and a panhard bar. I know that the 3v responds very well to bolt onsbut I want to know what kind of power bump he will see from these new mods. He has never had the car dynoed but cars set up like his have put down about 310-230 whp and a littlemore torque.My question is basically will he see a big jump in power from the little bump in displacement and a little more aggressive cams? What kind of numbers can be seen with each individual mod, and what will probably net him the most power, themild porting, the cams, or the stroker?Just in case anybody was wonderinghe will finally get a dyno tune after all this is done, but I just wanted a ballpark range of what kind of power he will be making.
Stroker kit
Camssomething like these
Old 07-04-2008, 04:30 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: 3v with internal modifications

i'll go with 350rwhp

i predict he'll be boosted, within one
year of this project
Old 07-04-2008, 05:03 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

If he has true full bolt ons with driveshaft, lt headers, cai, udps, cmcv, cams, stroked, ported, gears, suspension I would say he could hit upper 300s.. 368rwhp+.. the stroker kit will add atleast 18+ rwhp beyond what a full bolton car has, which is up to around 350rwhp.. I'll also bet with some sticky tires and suspension he can get down to low-mid 12s in that car. would be a nice build.

edited: orginally had figured the typical gains from each cubic inch added based on a s/c application.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:38 PM
Androdz2
2nd Gear Member

First of all it all depends on what compression he picked. If he picked flat top pistons it is going to be hard for him to run any real psi later on because of the high compression. Staying N/A while admirable it is a complete waste of $ on this 4.6 3v's... BTW the cams that are giving real HP on this engines are the BBR stages two's. Also I recommend your friend to buy the livernois VCT Lockouts to prevent the phasers from failing due to the stronger valve springs and loosing his heads/pistons or freak scenario his block.

Andrew
Old 07-07-2008, 11:58 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

I wouldn't say it's a complete waste of money to stay N/A. There are benefits to it. However nobody would argue that going F/I will give you the better bang for your buck. Modaddict wrote up a good thread on cams and depending on your application different ones work better so he could read that if he wants. it has something to do with the LSA.. for a s/c application he recomemended using this:

" The comp stage II cams with the BBR Stage II LSA.

Basically, call comp and order the stage II and ask them to change the LSA (Lobe Seperation Angle) to a 116.

They can and do if you ask. "

I'll guess he wouldn't recommend the same LSA for a N/A application though. his thread he posted before made mention that N/A vs F/I needed different LSAs.. I tried doing a search for him but couldn't find it.. [:@]
Old 07-08-2008, 12:18 AM
Androdz2
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mishri

I wouldn't say it's a complete waste of money to stay N/A. There are benefits to it. However nobody would argue that going F/I will give you the better bang for your buck. Modaddict wrote up a good thread on cams and depending on your application different ones work better so he could read that if he wants. it has something to do with the LSA.. for a s/c application he recomemended using this:

" The comp stage II cams with the BBR Stage II LSA.

Basically, call comp and order the stage II and ask them to change the LSA (Lobe Seperation Angle) to a 116.

They can and do if you ask. "

I'll guess he wouldn't recommend the same LSA for a N/A application though. his thread he posted before made mention that N/A vs F/I needed different LSAs.. I tried doing a search for him but couldn't find it.. [:@]
It is a waste of $ to stay n/a. Lets put some numbers ok? Cams springs/retainers =1k, stage 3 heads 3k, built block 4-5k, LT's 1k, and the other bolt ons = under 400rwhp and a high up powerband because of the cams. and then you can't do almost anything else because of the higher compression. While you for 4k for a turbo kit you get everything you need + fuel system upgrades to reach 450-500rwhp. Build your engine then go for 600+hp.

Andrew
Old 07-08-2008, 03:20 AM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

So what would you say would be the best mod to go with after going FI so you can increase your boost? Maybe a little off topic but you guys seem to know what your talking about.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:37 AM
Androdz2
2nd Gear Member

forged rotating assembly, fuel system and suspension mods.

Andrew
Old 07-08-2008, 04:16 AM
BLACKSTEED611

would i be able to get a stroker kit and than SC shooting for around 550-600 rwhp. i know ill def need to work on the fuel system for that but could i do that or is it too much for the block. id love to do a sc 5.0 moduler with out dropping 24k for a 5.0 cammer from FRPP
Old 07-08-2008, 07:48 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BLACKSTEED611

would i be able to get a stroker kit and than SC shooting for around 550-600 rwhp. i know ill def need to work on the fuel system for that but could i do that or is it too much for the block. id love to do a sc 5.0 moduler with out dropping 24k for a 5.0 cammer from FRPP
The 4.6L Aluminum block is good for 900-1000hp

Quick Reply: 3v with internal modifications