Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Hurst short throw

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 09:18 PM
TWOKOOL
2nd Gear Member

Default Hurst short throw

Hey everyone, Newbie here. I have a question for Ya'll. I just finished installing a Hurst short throw in my 07' GT/CS .Went pretty well, about 2 hours open box to clean up. It seems to be "tight" going into all gears, not binding or anything, just seems a little tight. Is this the way it should be, will it smooth up after a little while? Guess I may just be used to the OE. Love the throw on it though. Anyway, thaks for any info.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:24 PM
Blue Meanie
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Hurst short throw

Mine was pretty tight when first installed. Seems to have loosened up some now, 2 months/5,000 miles later.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:35 PM
TWOKOOL
2nd Gear Member

Kool, had me kinda worried. Nothing I can't work with though. Thanks
Old 07-12-2008, 07:24 AM
Eric3d

The Hurst will be "crunchy" and will require quite a bit more force due to the fact you are doing the same amount of work in a lot less throw. The crunchy feeling of the shifter is just the feel of the trans as it passes though neutral. There are TON's of posts on this subject. After reading hundreds of them the final conclusion seems to be that the Hurst is not smooth at all but it is a solid short throw shifter. Many seem to think the feel is more muscle car. Either way, it is what it is.

Either way I swapped out my Competition plus for a Billet version. For some reason the Billet one seems to feel better but it is by no means smooth. I think the Billet frame flexes less and allows the shifter to work a bit better. Since the shifter is not a top loader any twisting will bind things up a bit.

I hatted the feel for quite a while but it has grown on me a bit. It looks good and it feels a lot like my dads 67' fastback with the top loader. I just figured in 2008 we should get a smooth but positive feel but it seems 40 years does not change the feel.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:40 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: TWOKOOL

Hey everyone, Newbie here. I have a question for Ya'll. I just finished installing a Hurst short throw in my 07' GT/CS .Went pretty well, about 2 hours open box to clean up. It seems to be "tight" going into all gears, not binding or anything, just seems a little tight. Is this the way it should be, will it smooth up after a little while? Guess I may just be used to the OE. Love the throw on it though. Anyway, thaks for any info.
Did ya install the old stlye hurst that looks like the
OEM shifter or the new improved model made from
billet aluminum?

[IMG]local://upfiles/69445/5D5129F2B0CA4ED5BAFF3ADE0668CB48.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/69445/AE8FCE3DA89344E7A543D6D88BC041AD.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-12-2008, 12:33 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

Mine too was really tight when I first got it installed, since then it's loosened up quite a bit and now even my fiance doesn't have a problem driving it.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:29 PM
TWOKOOL
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the info. I went with the old school white ball. Billet maybe in the future. This is what was available right now. Been driving all day, Me Thinks Me Likes. As others have said, didn't realize how "sloppy" the factory shifter was until now.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:45 AM
vaporstang
2nd Gear Member

+1 on the loosening up. Mine has improved a lot since it was insalled.....
Old 07-13-2008, 04:29 PM
HazardSports
2nd Gear Member

I have the Roush Short Throw and whenfirst installed itwas VERY tight. After driving it for about 20 minutes it got even tighter. So tight that if you were in neutral and pushed the stick far left - it wouldn't spring back to the center - would just stay put far left in neutral. Not the case anymore. It did take some time; but, now it is perfect. I personally like the click into each gear. Short throw rules. I picked the roush because it was a billet arm, polyurethanebushings, with an advertised 55% THROW REDUCTION, (which was the best I could find at the time of the purchase). I am also a BIG Jack Roush fan, (Hope he signs on Tony Stewart now that the Joe Gibbs deal is up - I think Tony might be looking down the ownership route instead).

Old 07-13-2008, 05:00 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

The Hurst sucks! Great price/looks but the quality is not good at all. I've had two and I'm not wasting my time getting a third. My next shifter will be the MGW

Quick Reply: Hurst short throw