Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Exhaust hanger problem...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 01:31 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

Default Exhaust hanger problem...

I finally found out what was wrong with my O/R X-pipe. One of the hanger posts on the midpipe is in the wrong position and is hitting the metal part of the hanger on the transmission cross member. I had read in another thread that some GT's have the hangers on the crossmember removed as part of a TSB that was issued. My question is, could I just cut the hanger post off the X-pipe and just leave the driver side one on there. Would it flex too much, and is it a bad idea to have the whole pipe being held up by the rest of the exhaust system.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:00 AM
smokestang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Exhaust hanger problem...

I think it would be a bad idea to remove the hangers altogether or even just one! can the hanger on the X pipe be bent to stop hitting? you could even have it cut off and re-welded in a better position( probably the best solution) JMO
Old 07-28-2008, 08:17 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

Yea, I'm willing to do that. But I'm hearing from more and more people that the two hangers on the cross member are only their to help in assembly from the factory.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:38 AM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

Neither of mine are hooked to anything, they are just loose under the trans crossmember. They aren't needed. I've had no problem or noise.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:54 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

Ok; before I go cutting **** off my exhaust, I just want to do a sanity check with everyone one more time...

Cutting the exhaust hanger off the midpipe and allowing it to hang from the manifold and the rest of the exhaust is safe?
Old 07-29-2008, 01:12 PM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

Uh... is it really safe? I thought those were the only hangers other than the onces for the mufflers... I mean I can see how it could work because the exhaust is probably bolted up tight enough to the point where you only need the hangers in the back... and the mid section of the piping isnt terribly heavy to cause A LOT of strain on the rear hangers/header-midpipe connection... Seems like a good idea... but so does rewelding them...

I remember I had one problem though with that. My hangers on the mid pipe actually werent hanging on to anything at a point (stupid shop...)and I could hear the piping over the rear axle hitting the bottom of the car...Once I took it to another shop to re hang the mid section, it stabalized it and no more noise...!
Old 08-01-2008, 06:11 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

I just wanted to update this thread with the solution of the problem I was having. I ended up having to remove BOTH hangers for the trans crossmember, both of them were contacting the brackets.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:25 PM
turbotbirdguy79
1st Gear Member

I had the same problem when I installed my exhaust.The hanger off the prochamber was hitting the metal part on the mount around the bushing.Just take a pry bar and bend the hanger enough where it will clear.I wouldnt leave it likeyou have itthough.Think of all the strain you are putting on the rest of the exhaust system.The only thing that would be supporting it now up front would be the headers,Thats alot of strain on the header bolts and having aluminum heads,That would worry me.Just keep an eye on it or go to an exhaust shop or do what I did.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:19 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

Well the hangers are already cut. I probably will take it to a shop and see if they can put some new hangers on, but the for moment I think it's fine.
Old 11-14-2021, 01:32 PM
Banshee master

So I’m having the same issue you had and it rattles so I’m thinking about cutting them off like you did, because as turbobirdguy97 said to bend it with a pry bar I think the bars are too solid to be honest to bend them with a prybar

So have you had any problems with them being cut off, or would you say it’s fine and cut the bars off so I don’t have to hear the rattling noise any more?

Quick Reply: Exhaust hanger problem...