Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Oil capacity

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 04:01 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Default Oil capacity

How many quarts does the 4.6 3v take? I looked in the manual and couldn't find it. I thought it was 6.0 even?

I put exactly 6 in there and the level is in the safe range but does not quite make it to the top dot on the dipstick. The dealer always filled it to that point. Did they use 6.5 quarts then? My level is about 3/4 up between the two dots on the dipstick.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:03 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

6 quarts. you might need to add a few ounces to top it of but the benchmark is 6 quarts.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:58 PM
duckbubbles
2nd Gear Member

You are well within the safe range for your oil. Don't let it get below the bottom line.

Frank
Old 08-17-2008, 04:59 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Is it worth cracking open another quart to top off so that it's just below that top dot?

I put in exactly 6 quarts when I changed the oil. I guess the dealer is either adding a little bit extra or not letting it drain as long. Someone told me that the dealers will use 6.5 quarts.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:17 PM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

ive always just put in 6 quarts in mine.. 86,000 miles and going strong
Old 08-17-2008, 05:32 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

How does your level read? Not quite up to the top dot like mine does?
Old 08-17-2008, 07:31 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

You don't need to be up to the top dot but if it makes you feel better, then do it. Just don't overfill.

Not all quart bottles are exactly 1 full quart so it's not too uncommon to come up a smidgen short. I tend to let mine drain for a long time and usually have to add a little IF I want to be right up to the top mark.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:48 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

In most cases if you fill an engine to design capacity you will find that doesnt make it all the way to the maximum on the dipstick. It is better to fill the engine to design capacity instead of the dipstick mark. I think this may be due to the fact dealers dont allow the car to fully drain before they slap the plugs back in. This would result in customer complaints for overfills if they didnt allow for an extra 0.25 qt or so when marking the dipsticks.

With Industrial Engines you normally fill the engine to the add level (usually 1 gallon below design capacity) and then design capacity and then scribe the stick at the two levels. These are now your min and max levels. You could do the same (1 qt difference) to a car if it bothers you.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:59 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Thanks for the explanation(s).

I'm going to just leave it alone. I put six quarts in exactly which is what it is supposed to get. The car doesn't burn or leak oil. Nothing to worry about. It just bugged me that the level was lower on the dipstick than it had been when the dealer did the work.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:11 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Car should be fine and the manual state only 6 quarts required. I have a tendency to let the oil drain for a good 30 mins when I change mine and need to put 6.25 quarts in afterward. I also load up the new oil filter with oil before the install of it and sometimes it will read lower but still in the normal range. This was the first time I changed the oil quickly (less than 20 min for everything) and it took only 6 qts. It is at the top of the fill line as well and I too like to be closer to the top even if it is not "necessary".

Quick Reply: Oil capacity