Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

e85 gas

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 09:03 PM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

Default e85 gas

Just curious if anyone on here is using e85 gas in their car yet? Ive talked to a couple guys in other forums and they have got great results and have switched over to it full time now. There are now 3 stations right around me selling it for 2.30 a gallon and am thinking about trying it out to see what kind of power i can really get out of it, the cooling properties are awesome and it is equal to around 105 octane. Just trying to find anyone that may have real world experience with it besides the 2 i have talked to so far.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:04 PM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

I don't know the exact numbers, but ethanol gets much worse gas mileage. The savings you get are offset by the drop in MPG. I don't trust ethanol and I put as little of it in my tank as I can manage.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:21 PM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

Oh i know ill get wose mileage, the 2 that i have talked to went down about 4mpg in the city and 7 in the highway. Im more or less wanting to do it for the performance aspect as this is just a weekend car anyways and track sometimes.

Theres recently a write up about a tuner i believe justin at vmp that simpley switched a NA gt from 93 octane to e85 and picked up another 11rwhp and 15rwtq! It also burns a lot cooler in the combustion chamber. The 2 guys that i know using it, one is on twin turbos and the other has a procharger and switching over got them crazy results i was just trying to find out how many others have tried it out.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:38 AM
kcmarti
2nd Gear Member

Using E-85 is not as simple as just filling up with it. Vehicles that are certified to use E85 have a sticker near the filler that states it can run E-85. E-85 is used in engines modified to accept higher concentrations of ethanol, such flexible-fuel vehicles (and my wife's Town & Country mini-van). These vehicles are designed to run on any mixture of gasoline or ethanol with up to 85% ethanol by volume and have eliminated all magnesium, aluminum, and rubber parts in the fuel system. additionally, the fuel pumps must be capable of operating with electrically conductive ethanol instead of non-conducting gasoline fuel, fuel injection systems have a wider range of pulse widths to inject approximately 40% more fuel, stainless steel fuel lines lined with plastic, and stainless steel fuel tanks may be needed. I believe there are also some changes needed for the fuel tank mounted fuel pumps to prevent arching. Etc, etc... Bottom line, you probably should not use it in your Mustang unless you have made the appropriate changes.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:37 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Although not as well versed as kcmarti, I'll state that I've heard that you shouldn't run E85 unless you're designed for it as it is detrimental to many fuel system components.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:00 PM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Although not as well versed as kcmarti, I'll state that I've heard that you shouldn't run E85 unless you're designed for it as it is detrimental to many fuel system components.
+1
That stuff is corrosive. Nice gains if your setup for it though.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:15 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

yeah, i wouldn't do it. it'll kill your fuel system over time.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:17 PM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

the guy with the turbo has been running it for 10 months now with no problems, i may switch some things over so i can avoid any problems but i may try it out and see how it does, i havent fully decided.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:28 PM
scrmngt
1st Gear Member

The alcohol is supposedly bad for any rubber hoses in your fuel system and can cause them to corrode or crack.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:45 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Texotic
yeah, i wouldn't do it. it'll kill your fuel system over time.
+1

Playing with fire.

Quick Reply: e85 gas