Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Which Tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 05:13 PM
08CS

Default Which Tuner?

So far all I have are MBRP deletes, otherwise a stock 08 GT. I want to add an intake. Need opinions on FRPP w/ a calibrator (i.e. The bullit intake package) or an aftermarket? I am leaning toward the K and N typhoon with a Granatelli Programmer? I am guessing I am better off w/ an intake/ tuner package rather than the ones that claim to not need a re-flash? Thanx.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:11 PM
dunebuggydude11
3rd Gear Member

i would go for a sct xcal 3 tuner and a C&L intake from bamachips. from what ive heard, they have the best tune, or brenspeed.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:57 PM
sailing220
4th Gear Member

Go to either Brenspeed or Bamachips and get a C&L or JLT intake. If you buy from Brenspeed you'll get an SCT, if you buy from Bama you'll get a Diablosport tuner. Either one is fine, it is the tune that matters. If you are planning on getting a dyno tune in the future check your local tuners and see what they use, SCT or Diablosport. That could factor in as well.

What are MBRP deletes?
Old 10-18-2008, 11:34 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I prefer the SCT. I've just found it to be more user friendly than the diablo I used on my last car. I'd skip the FRPP tune and go straight to Brenspeed. I can't speak for Bama, but I've heard he's pretty good too. I can speak for Brenspeed and their C&L intake/tuner combo. I used to run the combo before I went F/I, and it was awesome.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:41 PM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

Yes, skip the FRPP tune, I know, I had it, there's barely any difference from stock, especially since I have an auto trans.

I kept the FRPP CAI (which is the same as the Steeda) and put on an aftermarket intake elbow (Saleen).

Any of the popular CAI's will do : C&L, JLT, Steeda, seems to be the major ones around here.

I also have an SCT2 XCalibrator tuning device, also seems to be the most popular.

( I was also told to stay away from the SCT's X3) FWIW.

Get a reputable local shop to get a dyno tune, or go to one of the popular tuners, and get a mail order tune. I personally prefer JDM Engineering. Also Breenspeed and Bama seem to be popular tuners as well.

Also, you are always better off with the CAI that needs a reflash. That means you're going to be bringing in more air into the engine (in some cases double), so the PCM must be re tuned to accomodate the extra CFM's of air being taken in. Timing, etc can also be adjusted well, giving more performance, and as in my case with an auto trans, it can change shift points, line pressures, etc giving you alot more performance than stock. Personally, a CAI that does not need a reflash will give you minimal, if any, extra performance, but it looks nice.

Last edited by JimsGT; 10-18-2008 at 11:46 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:51 AM
08CS

Default Thanx For The Info

I will go w/ a Brenspeed package. BTW, MBRP deletes are just axle-backs minus the mufflers.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:25 PM
CTE
1st Gear Member

C&L from Brenspeed, very effective snd great customer support if needed. Very simple installation and re-tune.

Another worthwhile add on is a Hurst short shifter.

Good luck and enjoy.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:21 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

C&L Racer intake and tuner package from brenspeed or bamachips.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:28 PM
Countersniper
1st Gear Member

I have the Steeda CAI with SCT XCAL3 with Brenspeed tunes, you can't go wrong with that combo!
Old 10-19-2008, 04:58 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Let your wallet and your eyes decide. The (tune required) CAI's are equivalent in performance and the custom tunes from Brenspeed, Bama and VMP are excellent.

Quick Reply: Which Tuner?