Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

MSD 2 Step w/Custom Off Road pipe

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 03:46 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hufenstang
I assume it wouldnt work just like on the 05+. Im sure it works the same way, pulling spark back and letting fuel into the cats, ect.
The unit will still work but it will ruin his cats.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:26 AM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
The unit will still work but it will ruin his cats.
err thats what i meant to type, thanks for correcting me. One too many beers that night!
Old 11-09-2008, 07:26 PM
bigray327
2nd Gear Member

I blew out my cats, too. Wish I would have known that in advance. Oh well, live and learn.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:18 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

they might as well name this unit the Cat-Eater.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:55 PM
rford426
4th Gear Member

who needs cats any ways?
Old 11-10-2008, 07:38 AM
Skarkull
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rford426
who needs cats any ways?
But I love cats. Soft, Furry, and they purr when you pet them..

they also go real good in Chinese food.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:16 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Has anyone just wired this to their existing clutch switch? I was thinking the only real thing it does is disengage the cruise control when you press it in. I always turn cruise off before I do anything anyway so I dont need it. Only other thing I think it might do is change from the in gear idle to the neautral idle. Also not really necessary.

So can I just wire it right there and be plug and play?

Also thanks for the heads up on the cats.

I kept my stock H which I can put on whenever I need to for that.

But to clean up the sound I will be putting slip fit high flow cats in. I am going to have my exhaust guy make some slip fit pipes the same size as the cats so i can put them in and out when I want to race or use the 2 step. I will take some pics when I get it done this weekend.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:56 AM
bigray327
2nd Gear Member

There are huge write-ups at s197forum.com, try there. I used a reed switch because I didn't want to mess with the stock wiring, but the guys that did it using the clutch switch seem to be doing OK.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:21 AM
Lito
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Skarkull
But I love cats. Soft, Furry, and they purr when you pet them..

they also go real good in Chinese food.
LOL! Cat ribs...uhmmm yummy!!!!
Old 11-10-2008, 02:00 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangGT0405
Has anyone just wired this to their existing clutch switch? I was thinking the only real thing it does is disengage the cruise control when you press it in. I always turn cruise off before I do anything anyway so I dont need it. Only other thing I think it might do is change from the in gear idle to the neautral idle. Also not really necessary.

So can I just wire it right there and be plug and play?

Also thanks for the heads up on the cats.

I kept my stock H which I can put on whenever I need to for that.

But to clean up the sound I will be putting slip fit high flow cats in. I am going to have my exhaust guy make some slip fit pipes the same size as the cats so i can put them in and out when I want to race or use the 2 step. I will take some pics when I get it done this weekend.

There is away to do it through the existing clutch switch. Someone has done it but it was at the expense of their cruise control. I'm not willing to go without that so I did it my way.

I used a micro switch which I broke the arm off of yesterday. No big deal. Some hard shifting broke off the arm so I need to evaluate the positiong of the switch. I have 3 more switches ready and it takes just a few minutes to to do it so no big deal.

My exhaust actually comes down into a Y pipe with the single pipe running through the turbo. There is plenty of room to put one single pass through muffler there which I am considering. It could help the obnoxious noise of the cats popping and raspiness.

The MSD launch Master really is almost a plug and play as the package comes. The only wiring you need to do is put a ground in which can be found in the engine compartment and the switched wire. Either way you will have to run wires and figureout how to splice into the CC wire.

Quick Reply: MSD 2 Step w/Custom Off Road pipe