Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Which Cams??

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 05:08 PM
shooter23
3rd Gear Member

Default Which Cams??

I dont really want to turn this into a debate over which brand...but I wanted to have someone with experience give me some advice as to which type is good for my application.

I'm fully bolted right now - and want to install cams; in the future Im gonna boost it, but not yet.

I am leaning towards supercharging, but have not ruled out turbo.

I read about a few different cams, which ones would be good for future FI?

Any imput is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 12-02-2008, 05:27 PM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

Do you want to put a blower cam in now? or are you wanting to put an n/a cam in and just use that with your blower? You obviously will get more out of the blower cam if you use a blower, but until you put the blower on i dont think you would notice much.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:36 PM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

true a blower cam would be best for future but with the blower no matter what cam you go with you can very easily reach our motors limits without doing a rebuild. If you want a sexy sound and compatibily i would go with a frpp hot rod as they produce good power and dont require cam phasers or springs and do work with FI
Old 12-02-2008, 11:33 PM
Brilliant09GT

How will the FRPP Hot Rod cams work on a mildly bolted engine? I have LT's, Intake, and Tune. Is there different stages of the cam?
Old 12-02-2008, 11:38 PM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

no its a one part number piece. it would get about 20-30hp; with your mods i would guess closer to the higher aspect of the equation. that being said dont forget the rumpita rumpita sound that makes all true car guys happy. also i have heard this cam as pretty well all do require a custom tune but that being said get all your mods done and get a good custom tune dont and with your bolt ons and you could be close to the 350 mark to the rear wheels
Old 12-02-2008, 11:41 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by shooter23
I dont really want to turn this into a debate over which brand...but I wanted to have someone with experience give me some advice as to which type is good for my application.

I'm fully bolted right now - and want to install cams; in the future Im gonna boost it, but not yet.

I am leaning towards supercharging, but have not ruled out turbo.

I read about a few different cams, which ones would be good for future FI?

Any imput is appreciated.

Thanks
FRPP cams seem to work the best with boost unless you get cams specifically tunned for boost. They also seem to combine the best mpg to hp to driveability to cost to sound ratio.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:08 AM
sailing220
4th Gear Member

If you have any possibility of wanting a blower in the future I would wait on the cams until you are sure. That is, unless you don't care about using a blower with n/a cams.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:14 AM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

FRPP cams seem to work the best with boost unless you get cams specifically tunned for boost.
Based on what? Please can you show me some numbers for a forced induction car proving FRRP cams work best or better than COMP, Crane, BBR etc.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:54 AM
paydirt
2nd Gear Member

I'm not one to say that the hotrod cams work "well" with boost, but at the shop here in town both me and another good friend of mine with a roush TVS blower are both going forged at the moment...(he went with the P-51shortblock and I went with just forged rods to save a little cash)....are both going to use the FRPP cams purley for the sound. I will let everyone know the results when finished, but not worrying about HP numbers I think the cams will workout great
Old 12-03-2008, 09:59 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

good for you merdix.....nice to see someone
make up their own mind, regardless of what the
nay sayers say.......

prepare for a possible onslaught of negativity, but
hang in there and stand your ground.

Originally Posted by merdix9
are both going to use the FRPP cams purley for the sound.

Quick Reply: Which Cams??