Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Steering Shaft Rub...options?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 06:29 PM
brady_f
2nd Gear Member

Default Steering Shaft Rub...options?

Well, after getting my OBX Longtubes installed, I have found out that the steering shaft is rubbing one of the header tubes on right hand turns. I have heard that replacing the motor mounts will drop the engine down a little...but it looks like it would rub even worse if the engine was lower. I have already tried shifting the engine over and evidently it didn't work. What are my options? Spend the dough and try the mounts out, or is there an alternative? How long can I go with it like this before the shaft rubs a hole in the longtubes? Any help is much appreciated!
Old 01-22-2009, 06:38 PM
ScremnS281
2nd Gear Member

It would be hard to do without taking the header back out but I've heard of people putting a dent in the header tube where its rubbing the steering shaft. I'm pretty sure the motor mounts are a remedy. I put them in when I did my headers last weekend but I haven't driven the car on the road yet. It looks like there is enough room that it wouldn't even come close to rubbing though.

Last edited by ScremnS281; 01-22-2009 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:53 PM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

Brady, the stock Prothane 'bullet' motor mounts (from the accounts I've read) actually raise the engine approx 1/4". That might fix your problem.

JDM engineering also offers the Prothane mounts with 1/2" milled off the top of them to make for an approximate 1/4" drop. I think these modded ones are the mounts you're thinking of. Sounds like those would cause you problems.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:08 PM
aircare84
3rd Gear Member

brady,
I had the same issue after I installed my OBX's.
Ended up installing the prothene mounts & that cured my steering shaft rub.
The 'standard' prothene mounts will actually raise the engine about 1/4". They are the same height as the hydro mounts, but they don't 'sag' under the weight of the engine like the stock mounts do.
I trimmed the top of my prothenes down 1/4" because I have the Shaker hood scoop. If you don't have a Shaker scoop, or the plenum cover, you shouldn't need to trim the mounts.
It is a PITA to install the mounts after the fact, but IMO a needed mod with most LT's.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:34 PM
ScremnS281
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by aircare84
brady,
The 'standard' prothene mounts will actually raise the engine about 1/4". They are the same height as the hydro mounts, but they don't 'sag' under the weight of the engine like the stock mounts do.
I trimmed the top of my prothenes down 1/4" because I have the Shaker hood scoop. If you don't have a Shaker scoop, or the plenum cover, you shouldn't need to trim the mounts.
It is a PITA to install the mounts after the fact, but IMO a needed mod with most LT's.

Where are you from? I'm from Lancaster.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:03 PM
aircare84
3rd Gear Member

Marysville, little NW of Cols.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:06 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Maybe 'ding' the offending header pipe?
Recheck your driveshaft angle if you
go the dropped motor route.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:03 PM
ScremnS281
2nd Gear Member

Marysville, little NW of Cols.
Cool, I have a buddy that lives in Marysville. He has an old VW Beetle that is slammed and from what I hear has a pretty kick *** motor in it. Its green and has a slidding rag top, have you seen him around? I've been trying to get him to join the Mustang nation!!

Last edited by ScremnS281; 01-24-2009 at 10:38 PM.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:50 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

brady,
Oh, geez. The last thing I need to do is raise my engine. Its the engine rocking back under acceleration that causes my rubbing.

I don't want the engine to sit any lower either. The bottom of my LT's hang about 1/2 inch below the frame and my cat's are maybe another 1/4 inch below that. Definitely don't want to make ground clearance any worse.

How did you trim your motor mounts?
Old 01-25-2009, 02:44 PM
aircare84
3rd Gear Member

I cut mine down using a bandsaw with a metal cutting blade @ work.
Just have to be careful & get a even cut. I marked down 1/4" from the top face for a guide to cut.
I ended up with the motor sitting at or near the stock height then, but no more flex.

Quick Reply: Steering Shaft Rub...options?