Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

steeda's whipple belt drive

Old 02-21-2009, 05:59 PM
stang910
2nd Gear Member

Default steeda's whipple belt drive

Wanted to start a new thread on this since the other one is so long. I'm considering this for my build, but it looks like the pulley steeda uses to make 13psi is 3" or smaller. This isn't a problem for anyone wanting to stay at that boost level. but for those wanting more steeda didn't leave much room to grow. Not sure but I believe the smallest pulley you can install on a whipple is a 2.5". Just wondering if anyone knows what size the lower pulley is that drives the supercharger. I'm probably going to be using a innovators west 10% lower if I find out steeda made the lower pulley that drives the supercharger smaller or the same size as stock.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:12 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i'd like to know also, what the
max psi is, you can generate with
the steeda system.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:10 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Max psi with no belt slip is 13 psi....they are working on a 16 psi pulley option and I am sure (hopefully) a 18 or 20 psi option. I wont need more then 16 psi after the build but everyone knows how that goes....look at modaddict (Mark)
Old 02-21-2009, 07:41 PM
stang910
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mygt500
Max psi with no belt slip is 13 psi....they are working on a 16 psi pulley option and I am sure (hopefully) a 18 or 20 psi option. I wont need more then 16 psi after the build but everyone knows how that goes....look at modaddict (Mark)
That 16 psi pulley they are working on might only produce 14-15 psi on a 298 stroker which is a very common build then add heads, cams, and longtubes to that 14-15 psi and your back down to the original 13 psi maybe less. That 16psi pulley is probably going to be 2.75" which now leaves only one pulley size to go down to a 2.5". Now with your fully built engine and a 2.5" pulley your around 16psi and no room to grow not to mention your using a very small pulley so is the 10 rib belt going to be enough. If I spend that kinda money on this kit I'd at least like to have the option to max out my whipple even if I never go above 13 psi.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:55 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Good point....maybe Steeda will address this when they are done making and testing other options......maybe the crank pulley will get bigger.....this can allow room for more boost.....see for my application and the fact it is a 2 belt system similar to the termi's I really like the idea of a 10 rib belt (or wider) and no belt slip for 13-16 psi. I will get this after I build the motor and I may not stroke the motor just forge it. I also will not go with LT's (just shorties) but regardless just because you are decreasing boost with supporting mods wont the car still make more HP ???

This product is to new right now but I am sure it will adapt and change according to the market and need for it. I also think Steeda originally introduced this belt drive as a means for the stock or just forged motors to run more consistently with no boost drop or slip and no more breaking belts. The way I see it it cost 600 dollars for the 8 rib belt kit and another 300 or 400 for the Thumper tensioner so your close to the price of the belt drive after all is said and done and I know many that break belts still (just not the tensioner anymore) Not saying it is a bad system (the 8rib and tensioner) but the cost for myself is justified for me to go this route. Esp since I am show and want the go for the fun of it. Will I track the car...sure a couple of times to see what she can do and post up some time slips but I understand not everyone is this way and way more die hard racing/track fan them myself.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:29 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

I am still on a 6 rib setup at 10psi. Still on the original Whipple Belt after 15k miles. I do have a thumprr and it is a sweet peice. I am still unsure about this Steeda thing. Looks really cool, but I am not sure it is worth it over the 8 rib set up.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:40 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stang910
That 16 psi pulley they are working on might only produce 14-15 psi on a 298 stroker which is a very common build then add heads, cams, and longtubes to that 14-15 psi and your back down to the original 13 psi maybe less. That 16psi pulley is probably going to be 2.75" which now leaves only one pulley size to go down to a 2.5". Now with your fully built engine and a 2.5" pulley your around 16psi and no room to grow not to mention your using a very small pulley so is the 10 rib belt going to be enough. If I spend that kinda money on this kit I'd at least like to have the option to max out my whipple even if I never go above 13 psi.
Grow into what? A race car? You can only have so much boost on pump gas.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:04 PM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Wanted to start a new thread on this since the other one is so long. I'm considering this for my build, but it looks like the pulley steeda uses to make 13psi is 3" or smaller. This isn't a problem for anyone wanting to stay at that boost level. but for those wanting more steeda didn't leave much room to grow. Not sure but I believe the smallest pulley you can install on a whipple is a 2.5". Just wondering if anyone knows what size the lower pulley is that drives the supercharger. I'm probably going to be using a innovators west 10% lower if I find out steeda made the lower pulley that drives the supercharger smaller or the same size as stock.
Boost changes will be through the lower pulley, not the upper, and no other lower dampener will work as the lower pulley is designed to attach to our provided balancer assembly. Besides, changing the diameter of the balancer would not affect boost, as its the pulley attached to that balancer that dictates the boost level.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:15 PM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Normally this would be true, but the 13psi kit we use on our Q500, installed in our Q650 with ported heads and long tubes actually makes 1psi more of boost. Not sure why that is but that is the results we got. Makes a ton more power too.....
Old 02-23-2009, 01:14 PM
Vcoat
3rd Gear Member

Default Tensioner

Just wondering if the tensioner on the forthcoming kit will remain spring loaded ? vs Mechanical ?....there has been some concern that on the higher boost applications the spring tensioner might not perform as well...I am not sure if there is any truth to that?..hopefully someone can comment ...thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: steeda's whipple belt drive