Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Heads and Cams?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 12:45 AM
silver05GT

Default Heads and Cams?

Hey hows it going guys I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to port and polish the heads on the 4.6 gt motor aswell as putting a new more agressive cam in it. If you guys have any ideas or could help out with my idea that would be great.

Thanks John
Old 06-21-2005, 12:53 AM
delurker
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Heads and Cams?

Port & Polish, yes. Cams, not yet.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:08 AM
silver05GT

What does it typically run to get heads ported and polished and do you know when they are expected to bring out a cam.

Thanks John
Old 06-21-2005, 01:20 AM
budgy
1st Gear Member

These guys are charging $1700 US for all new heads port and polished very well. http://www.blowbyracing.com/05_head.htm

I am assuming you could probably get the work done for less, but if your gonna get someone to do it find someone you can trust wont dick you around.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:48 AM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

I bet those would work sweet with a SC!!!! Hmmmm...
Old 06-21-2005, 03:00 AM
169stang
1st Gear Member

Livernois is also porting and polishing these heads. I couldn't find it on their website, but I know they had it on there before. Maybe they got out as fast as they got in. One thing I do know is that neither SCT or Diablo has a tune for this mod yet.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:44 AM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

That's definitely one you would want to dyno tune... forget the preprogrammed tunes!!
Old 06-21-2005, 05:36 AM
silver05GT

I was hoping to get a cam to roughen up the idle etc. and then the heads aswell to get a little more hp out of the motor and plan for later getting a supercharger. I didnt want to do a tune or anything or air filter cuz most superchargers have one in the kit or something like it so i dont want to waste money figured these ideas were good for getting some power.

Thanks John
Old 06-21-2005, 09:04 PM
flyingt
2nd Gear Member

I think sean hyland actually already did it to one of the Mustangs on his site (port and polished heads).
Old 06-22-2005, 01:42 AM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: silver05GT

Hey hows it going guys I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to port and polish the heads on the 4.6 gt motor aswell as putting a new more agressive cam in it. If you guys have any ideas or could help out with my idea that would be great.

Thanks John
Hi John,

Livernois is offering head porting and polishing and has dyno confirmed that their P&P is good for 45RWHP. There are no cams that I can find yet but everyone says they are working on them and that they will offer them "soon" whenever that is. You can send in your heads and they will turn them around in 2-3 days. I'm thinking about it but would really like see what can be had from a hotter cam while I'm doing the heads. I'm thinking that the Mustang's computer controlled cam timing is going to require that the cam designers learn how and when the ECU advances and retards the cam timing before even prototyping a sportier cam grind. There is also going to be some work needed with the programing of the ECU to optimize the cam advance and retard.

HTH

Quick Reply: Heads and Cams?