Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

another throttle body thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 09:09 AM
06stangGT
4th Gear Member

Default another throttle body thread

http://www.brenspeed.com/1763.html

So I've done a bit of research on these and as far as i thought, they were a bad idea. So many negative and mixed inputs steered me away from getting one.

So last night I was at a local cruise spot and ran into a friend I havent seen in a while, last time I saw his car he was bone stock... now he's got the C&L intake with the BBK 62mm throttle body, tuned 93oct through brenspeed, and a set of 3.73's. He has had all of this on for 2 weeks, with no problems.

Should i pull the trigger on this ? Or wait a little longer and wait and see how this works on his car ? I have the JLT III , and the steeda UDP in addition to the 3.73's and the 93 brenspeed tune. Would the brand of intake make a difference that could cause negative affects on my car and not his ?

Thanks

Last edited by 06stangGT; 06-25-2009 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:31 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

An aftermarket TB provides little to no gain on a NA S197. I'd stay away from them simply due to the overwhelming # of forum members that have had issues with the install. Assuming the install goes ok, I still truly doubt there'd be any SOP noticeable gains.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:54 AM
06stangGT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
An aftermarket TB provides little to no gain on a NA S197. I'd stay away from them simply due to the overwhelming # of forum members that have had issues with the install. Assuming the install goes ok, I still truly doubt there'd be any SOP noticeable gains.
thanks for the reply, I do agree about the power gains, however I have heard that doing this mod with others like the pulleys, and delete plates, you can get a good little gain...?
Old 06-25-2009, 10:13 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by 06stangGT
http://www.brenspeed.com/1763.html

He has had all of this on for 2 weeks, with no problems.

Should i pull the trigger on this ? Or wait a little longer and wait and see how this works on his car ?
Thanks
That ol boy needs to go buy as many lottery tickets as
he can because his luck is currently going his way.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:23 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

I think they got a bad rep from alot of people. I ran one for a long time with no problems whatsoever, and I installed one in another car that is still running it (6 months now) no problem. You just got to make sure you switch the parts over right, its easy if your good with things like that (small mechanicals and prewinding a spring as you set it,) and was probably the cause of so many bad reviews.

I would still be running it now if I wasnt told it would not fit on my Saleen supercharger without milling some metal off (I still want to see for myself, looked good to me.) But dont let others steer you out if its something you want to do, just take care while transfering the parts from your old throttle body. Its not a huge difference, but the more air you move through it, the more you will benifit from those larger openings.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:58 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Part of the reason for not NEEDING an aftermarket TB is because the stock TB passes as much air as an NA'd (or un-modded heavily internally) GT can handle. Having a bigger TB does not equate to more power if the engine can't suck the additional air.

One of the issues I heard with the aftermarket TB's is the voltage setting. But I don't know enough about it to speak intelligently.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:00 PM
2007VistaBlueGT
2nd Gear Member

I'll all for the mod, I have the GT-500 TB on my car and without a tune and I felt power increase. I have the TB kit from Metco and it came with all the electronics new already installed form Ford. I would recommend the twin 62mm from Ford racing being they have new electronics installed also, and a good dyno tune
Old 06-25-2009, 10:00 PM
FIRE

Thumbs up

BBK sells a throttle body / air intake combo which utilizes original hardware and eletronics (i.e. mass air sensor). I installed, never got a tune and noticed quite a difference, especially around the mid level rpm range. But whatch out; the kit requires that you remove the motor from the stock throttle body and this was not designed as such. It was very difficult due to torq screws and thread lock.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:41 AM
TonyGT
2nd Gear Member

I got a BBK 62mm from a member on here. Install was easy, no problem if you can turn a screw driver and follow instructions. In fact on BBK's site they have a great vid on a GT that takes you through EVERY step on the install. easy.... At first i didn't notice much HP gain, even made a post about it. But after 2 weeks with it installed now, I do feel a bit more seat of the pants hp gain. I think people don't follow instructions and run into issues and post bad comments on things. BBK would not sell something that was having that many issues. The install is very simple but you do need to follow the instructions. Mine runs GREAT and i didn't even do the voltage thing since i do not have the voltage meter to check. I got the BBK since the price was right and it is a mod i wanted since i have a supercharger in line for a future mod. But on a NA with the bolt on mods i have it is a pretty good mod. And it sounds cool, lil air "squeek" kinda like a turbo while going through the gears.. lol
Old 06-27-2009, 08:02 AM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

Here is what we did at the shop. The shop already does P&P work on heads and S/C's so we figured.........why the hell not.
Final numbers after install and tune was 289rwhp and 304lbs rwtorque (ambient temp 89deg) not bad for an N/A automatic DD.
Attached Thumbnails another throttle body thread-p1000791-medium-.jpg   another throttle body thread-p1000793-medium-.jpg   another throttle body thread-p1000792-medium-.jpg   another throttle body thread-p1000795-medium-.jpg  

Quick Reply: another throttle body thread