MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   GT S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion-49/)
-   -   Cams or Longtubes? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion/559679-cams-or-longtubes.html)

wrx2stang 08-30-2009 11:44 PM

Cams or Longtubes?

Got some money saved up to get either cams or longtubes. Car is a daily driver with intake/tune, 4.10's, hurst sts, and stinger axleback.

Looking at either ford racing hot rod cams or the pypes longtubes with offroad h. Both are right around the same price with the cams roughly $100 more.

Which one of these will provide the best bang for the buck? Also, any estimates on average install costs for these two?

Thanks

07 GT E UPP 08-31-2009 04:48 AM

Well wrx2stang, in my opinion it's not only the bang for the buck here,
I wouldn't put Cams in without some Headers. So ya, headers first and you will feel the difference...!!!

SirKnightTG 08-31-2009 08:07 AM

Headers.

You won't gain a lot with cams without headers (and CAI).

Steves07GTCS 08-31-2009 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by wrx2stang (Post 6458818)
Got some money saved up to get either cams or longtubes. Car is a daily driver with intake/tune, 4.10's, hurst sts, and stinger axleback.

Looking at either ford racing hot rod cams or the pypes longtubes with offroad h. Both are right around the same price with the cams roughly $100 more.

Which one of these will provide the best bang for the buck? Also, any estimates on average install costs for these two?

Thanks

I recently got quotes for both a hot rod cam install and long tube / off-road x. The cam install price was $585 and the long tube install (including installation of polyurethane motor mounts) was $850.

Logical progression, however, as the other guys posted is to do the headers first.

wrx2stang 08-31-2009 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Steves07GTCS (Post 6459344)
I recently got quotes for both a hot rod cam install and long tube / off-road x. The cam install price was $585 and the long tube install (including installation of polyurethane motor mounts) was $850.

Logical progression, however, as the other guys posted is to do the headers first.

Ok, so it sounds like its gonna be the longtubes. But $850 for the install! Thats more than I was gonna pay for the longtubes and off road h. Is that a normal install price?

Maybe I'll just give my buddy with a gto a call and see if we can get them put on. Is it very difficult to install them yourself or just time consuming?

Steves07GTCS 08-31-2009 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by wrx2stang (Post 6459392)
Ok, so it sounds like its gonna be the longtubes. But $850 for the install! Thats more than I was gonna pay for the longtubes and off road h. Is that a normal install price?

Maybe I'll just give my buddy with a gto a call and see if we can get them put on. Is it very difficult to install them yourself or just time consuming?

I've never done it so don't quote me, but I'm under the impression you have to raise the motor some and remove a decent amount of hardware from the engine bay. Difficulty I can't comment on, but from several very respected shops I've been told it just takes time- like 9 hours in a shop, hence the install price. Sucks.

SirKnightTG 08-31-2009 11:15 AM

Yeah the install price is high for a reason. ;)

I had mine installed at my Uncle's shop where he has of course a lift and all the tools you could ever need and it took us a whole day. It was far from easy and jacking up the engine and taking a few parts off (like the starter, steering shaft, etc) was needed.

I have the Kooks headers which are supposed to be one of the easier sets to install. Heh.

I don't see how people do this on jack stands...

They're nuts!

Riptide 08-31-2009 11:18 AM

Why are they nuts for doing it on jack stands?

JMoraru 08-31-2009 11:47 AM

i did long tubes and motor mounts and it really wasnt that hard. it took me a while, but i had some fitment issues. i used a garage pit and jack stands.

onederful100 08-31-2009 12:51 PM

i paid 550 for installing LT's and o/r x pipe. no motor mounts tho.