Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

cams from hell!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 09:23 PM
big marc
1st Gear Member

Default cams from hell!!

all iv got to say is holy mother, i installed the mother thumper cams tonight and wow wow!! the install was pretty straight forward. the only thing tho is i need gears really bad now, i mean really bad and headers, but i think im going to wait a while for those. but over all i like them a lot.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:32 PM
2007VistaBlueGT
2nd Gear Member

If you like them now, wait till the headers and proper tune go in, not to mention the gears to get you spinning in those higher RPM's. Thats going to be a real holy mother.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:48 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

congrats on a successful install and post
up a video when you can
Old 09-09-2009, 11:01 PM
big marc
1st Gear Member

im not sure how but il try. and the car surges a lil bit at lower speed but i think its normal with that type of cam.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:45 AM
07 GT E UPP
3rd Gear Member

Congrats ....!!!!!
Old 09-10-2009, 08:41 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by big marc
im not sure how but il try. and the car surges a lil bit at lower speed but i think its normal with that type of cam.
Congrats

and tuning will take care of your surging problem.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:13 PM
vaporstang
2nd Gear Member

Congratulations!
Old 09-11-2009, 12:18 PM
Darren05
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by big marc
all iv got to say is holy mother, i installed the mother thumper cams tonight and wow wow!! the install was pretty straight forward. the only thing tho is i need gears really bad now, i mean really bad and headers, but i think im going to wait a while for those. but over all i like them a lot.
What gears are you running right now? Also, how was the install? Did the cams come with good instructions? How long did it take you and did you need any special tools? I have been debating on doing the install myself or having a shop do it so I am curious as to if the install was a pain in the ars or if a person with basic knowledge could do it in their driveway with basic tools.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:24 PM
KcMstang
2nd Gear Member

Two specialty tools needed. Timing chain wedge and valve spring compressor. I have a timing chain wedge I will sell you, I'm going to keep my compressor just incase a cam follower comes out.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:43 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

If you have an extra person, you don't need the two special tools, but it does make it easier. You can use almost anything for a timing chain wedge (although if you can get the "official" one cheap go for it). The spring compressor is to take out three particular roller followers to relieve spring pressure on the cam. If you don't take them off, you'll need someone to smash down on the cam while the other person puts the cap things (I can't recall their name ATM) on to bolt the cam down.

Unless I can get the tools for real cheap, I'm going commando with it.

But, if something happens where the springs come loose (ask KcMstang, lol) then you do need the spring compressor and hope the valve does not fall in the cylinder.

Quick Reply: cams from hell!!