Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Killed my engine today...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 01:06 PM
cfr865
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by S197steve
Not sure if the OP is already done with his motor rebuild, but from what I've seen the Aluminator has very low compression (8.7:1 I think) and many guys are having trouble getting bit HP numbers with FI...
Never heard anyone having trouble getting hp from an Aluminator block. Its suppose to be good to 900 to 1k hp.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:18 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

brenspeed is coming out with a 5.0L built shortblock, all new parts so you don't have to worry about salvaging stuff from your block. it's reasonably priced too, little of $3,000.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:50 PM
cardude99
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MacGyverGTP
Of course I'd love to hear as many ideas as possible. I do believe, in this situation, it's an opportunity to upgrade to make her reliable at the 550-575hp level.
I think it was a faulty tune, but the guy who did the tuning was highly recommended by several people here in Phoenix, so I don't really want to point fingers. Fact is, I should have left it with the canned tune from KB. I just wanted my speedo calibrated & the traction control turned off by default & the tune looked good on the surface. Onlyhave myself to blame in the end.
I was at the 475-480hp level on the dyno. I just had a heck of a time getting her to spin the tires in 2nd without dropping the clutch so I thought there was a problem. The problem I think, to this day is... I live in Phoenix! This heat just kills power.
After the tune, I was not impressed at all with the the result, as we pretty much just swapped out to a smaller pulley.
She certainly felt stronger these past 2 months of cooler weather & could easily break em loose in 2nd like I wanted.

So, this time I am going with forged internals & after a lot of talking with my guy at All Mustang Performance in Phoenix (a guy who has never let me down in the past on a 1990 mustang I used to have) we are discussing porting the heads, stock cams with phase lockouts & he has done these same mods on people in the same situation & says the bottom end can handle 750+ but we are going to aim for 525-550hp. Also included with this quote is an upgraded clutch. As of right now, I am staring down the barrel of a $11,200 bill. But should be damn near bulletproof & a good 50-75hp up from where I was. Sorry this turned a little long-winded.

How's that grab ya?
Thanks again for your time, comments & help.
-Sean
i just caught this sorry im late but dude AMP sucks and they rip people off big time, look else ware man. try az dyno chip that is who i use. never go to amp
Old 03-06-2010, 04:54 PM
nite
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangGTpurist
These kinds of horror stories is why i stay away from forced induction :-(
lol. this is the same as believing that gun crimes are caused by guns. anything is dangerous in the hands of the wrong individuals.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:11 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nite
lol. this is the same as believing that gun crimes are caused by guns. anything is dangerous in the hands of the wrong individuals.
lol, exactly, any mod done incorrectly will blow a motor. boosting a motor lowers your margin for error but I don't know how you expect to add hundreds of HP without thinking that's going to stress parts? just stay conservative with the power until you have a built bottom end.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:41 PM
blk05stang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by candymanjl
brenspeed is coming out with a 5.0L built shortblock, all new parts so you don't have to worry about salvaging stuff from your block. it's reasonably priced too, little of $3,000.
You have any more info on this? I can't find anything on brenspeeds site about it.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:16 PM
07vbluestang
2nd Gear Member

OP! sorry to hear!!! i have a 550 h.p. polished whipple sitting in 2 boxes waiting for an install and now i am starting to wonder if i should just sell it!!! j/k!!!
Old 03-08-2010, 04:51 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by blk05stang
You have any more info on this? I can't find anything on brenspeeds site about it.
http://www.brenspeed.com/engineinfo.html

so far there's not a ton of details, some people have called them for more info. we're not sure if the compression ratio is going to be 8.5:1 or 9.0:1. either way the price is right if you ask me.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:37 PM
MacGyverGTP
2nd Gear Member

Default It's been a while...

I know I have not posted in a while, Sorry...
I was a little bitter after the whole rebuild. I bought a second car and now the mustang spends much of it's life in the garage. Basically I now have an $80k Mustang worth probably $25k if i were to sell it. So I'm a little over-invested in it to say the least.

All of the details of the build can be found here: http://n8483r.com/KWIKPNY.htm

Now, when I do drive her, it's a lot of fun and quite powerful. She's loud and pretty, still turns a few heads. I guess I just kind of see her as a money pit now and I'm almost scared to really drive her hard in fear that something big will break again.

As far as the post stating AMP in Phoenix is a rip off... Although expensive, I've found them to be fair and if I could find a better price, they matched it without argument. Also, I've learned to really trust Chris, the lead mechanic. Even when I don't agree with him on something he will take the time to explain to me why my point of view may be wrong without actually calling me out on it. Sure as ****, when I go and research it further, he's right. All I can go on is experience, and mine tells me, AMP is the only place I will trust. This is my 2nd Mustang heavily modified, and every time I strayed from using them, I've regretted it and they have picked up my pieces. I would recommend them to anyone who cares about their car.

Anyone who has any questions regarding the rebuild or my choices, feel free to drop me a message.

I'm thinking I may actually go get the car registered tomorrow, get some new rubber on the back, and stop treating her like a garage queen. May as well enjoy it huh?

-Sean Gallagher
Old 02-16-2012, 11:10 PM
This guy
2nd Gear Member

Sorry to hear about the engine, good luck with the rebuild though

Quick Reply: Killed my engine today...