Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Blew the motor - pics to come

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 03:35 PM
rustic2169
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by brad281
Huh, I talked with Brenspeed a few weeks back and they told me they have never had a Saleen sc on their tune blow an engine. They said they have had no reports of a single one. I find this very hard to be true with our weak rods. Were you running a brenspeed tune on the saleen sc?
Yes, it was the Brenspeed Stage 3 Saleen S/C kit w/Brenspeed Tune
Old 03-14-2010, 07:22 PM
Stormracer
1st Gear Member

Default For me!

Well I read this 11 page thread. I have confirmed to myself what I intended initially when I bought my 2007 Shelby! That I will keep it stock, and enjoy it for what it is! For all of you that do what you do that is way cool. But the one thing that is reality no matter how much money you spend there is ALWAYS a faster, more HP car out there. I drive my car spiritly in the mountains with curves where I feel the Shelby excels. Believe me that is plenty of fun factor for me. This car has no problems moving out, it gets numerous compliments and every time I walk in the garage and see it sitting there I get a nice big smile. As others have stated the NA's rarely ever blow! So instead of tearing down to do a fix, I am driving, polishing and smiling down the road.

Now this post is in no way meant to knock any one down or offend by any means. But this thread made me realize something that my wife tells me "be glad for what you got". I AM! Can I do all these mods if I wanted sure. I have a long term career that pays very well. But I also travel out of the country on numerous occasions to nice tropical islands, have a house in another country and spread my wealth to other areas of my life!

But cool beans for all of you that go this route, when I do see heavily modded cars I do have great admiration for them and what it takes to get there. But for me, my Shelby gives me a plenty wide smile as is!!!!
Old 03-14-2010, 09:53 PM
rustic2169
1st Gear Member

I completely understand where you are coming from Stormracer. I don't take it as an insult at all. There is nothing wrong with keeping a car stock. We all have our reasons for changing an already beautiful machine that Ford has produced for us. For some of us, we mod our cars to beat our friends on the road or to be the fastest, but as you stated, there will always be something faster, so in a way we are just keeping up with the Jones'. Others want to be able to have the power of a Vette or GT 500 without spending the 55k+ for one. I know when I beat a GT 500, I felt pretty good considering at the time, the total I had spent on my car was around $37k and that includes the cost of the car. And for the rest of us, including me, it's making a car our own as a the biggest reason for modding. I know the best feelings I had were when I installed my rear suspension and drove the car afterwards, the feel of the car was just incredible. The way the car hugs on the corners, the lack of wheel hop, the ability to dump the clutch and my car doesn't go sideways trying to get traction. The other great feeling was installing the Saleen S/C, feeling that new power in my car was the best. I felt like I helped create a monster. I didn't buy a monster, I created it, ya know?

Yes I'm spending $8500 to get my car fixed due to creating a monster, but it's not Ford's fault and it's not that my car just can't handle that power. It's just that it wasn't designed that way from the Ford factory. This is where I step in and it makes me feel like I'm working with Ford to design a killer machine. I'm taking what they gave me and I'm building on it.

Don't be afraid to throw a blower on a car because of my story or anyone elses. I bought a Stage 3 Saleen Kit that produces 500+ HP. If you were to purchase directly from Saleen or purchase a Whipple directly from Ford and have them install it with their tune, chances are you'd keep your warrenty and blowing your motor wouldn't be an issue. With the amount of boost you get with buying from them, your not even putting the kind of stress on your stock internals that I was putting.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:18 PM
Stormracer
1st Gear Member

Default Will Keep it stock!

Its not really a issue if I will blow my motor. To me as I said is keeping the car stock. Right now it only has 3600 miles on it, and I am trying to keep the miles low. My thought in 10 years when I retire and move out of the country, I am hoping Possibly I make some money from selling it as a stock Shelby still that will be now about 12 years old or so. But u never know, it might not be worth much at all. But I enjoy as is just fine. It gets plenty of looks and compliments.

Yes I do know what you mean about building something yourself, I have been there too many time myself. Now I just enjoy it as is. I have built numerous cars over the years and bikes. I have just about every model of the Z car, Nissan/Datsun that is. I have had numerous bikes. I had a 1985 Toyota PU 4WD that was better than new when I get done with it. It was way nice. So I do understand exactly what you mean. I am just closer to that point in life, where I just want to polish my car, take it out for what it is. I have other goals that coming near.

But glad your car is going back together!
Old 03-14-2010, 11:42 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

good luck with the new motor!
Old 03-15-2010, 02:04 AM
brad281
4th Gear Member

Let us know how the new motor and saleen perform.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:00 PM
blk05stang
2nd Gear Member

Wow just read through this thread and must say, it makes me nervous especially living with cold Chicago winters. Granted I really never go over 100 but still. This is the first I've heard of an engine blowing with a Brenspeed Saleen package. Sorry to hear it happened. It's always possible you had a weaker than usual rod from the factory but most likely detonation from lack of fuel, or some overheating did your engine in at those speeds.

So you guys think its better to just turn the dial up all the way on the BAP then? Think mine is slightly under 50% from Brenspeed.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:37 PM
cfr865
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by blk05stang
Wow just read through this thread and must say, it makes me nervous especially living with cold Chicago winters. Granted I really never go over 100 but still. This is the first I've heard of an engine blowing with a Brenspeed Saleen package. Sorry to hear it happened. It's always possible you had a weaker than usual rod from the factory but most likely detonation from lack of fuel, or some overheating did your engine in at those speeds.

So you guys think its better to just turn the dial up all the way on the BAP then? Think mine is slightly under 50% from Brenspeed.
Mines set all the up,has been since they installed it in 07. Dave said to leave it there, might be different with the Saleen. I would just set it to what ever Brenspeed says.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:23 PM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

Agree with keeping a car stock. Heavily modding my car does not make it better than a 100% bone stocker....faster but not better....and faster only in a straight line. Spooled, the car resists turns. No mountain twisties for this stang..lol. I bought my car to mod for dragstrip racing....then it sort of got more and more extreme to the point, car is no longer practical for street use....how smart is that???? probably not very...and certainly fiscally questionable. Now I am looking for another sport daily and it will stay stock.

Last edited by forensicsteve; 03-16-2010 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:46 PM
rustic2169
1st Gear Member

Well, I got my car back yesterday and it's a beast. Still need to get it dyno'd, the shop said I should put about 300 miles or so on it to break it in. I'll probably call sooner. Still tryin to get used to the new hydraulic clutch as well. The tuner looked at Brenspeeds tune and apparently they only run 3 degrees of timing so they said that seems a bit off.

Quick Reply: Blew the motor - pics to come