Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Electronic Throttle Control Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 06:16 PM
Metroshica
2nd Gear Member

Default Electronic Throttle Control Problem

Just got my 2007 GT a couple week ago. I love it BUT a little problem came up today. I was just driving around town today killing time. I had parked in a parking lot for a bit talking to my friend on the phone, and as I was about to head out I noticed the parking lot was a little wet from the rain that morning so I decided to have some fun. I turned off traction control, revved the engine up to about 3-4k and dropped the clutch. I didn't accelerate too hard, just enough to get some decent spin. As I was coming out of the parking lot, the car jerked and the little wrench light came on on the dash. I noticed that there was remarkably less power in the engine, so I pulled over, turned the car off and let it sit. When I turned it back on, the wrench light was off though the check engine light was on. As I accelerated to about 2k rpm, the car jerked again, though not as violently this time, the wrench light came on and the lack of power returned. After looking up the light in the manual, I realized it was the electronic throttle control which apparently exists to prevent further damage when something occurs. I ended up dropping my car off at the dealership for service, though they were full so I won't find out what happened until tomorrow. I'm not too worried, as I didn't push my car that hard for this to happen, and I'm still under the full bumper to bumper warranty, but I was just wondering what might have happened. Anyone have any experience with a problem like this, or at least an idea of what could have possibly happened?
Old 01-18-2010, 07:57 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

sure would have been nice to have that Data
Trouble Code.

who knows it could be a number of things....let
us know what the stealership reports.

Originally Posted by Metroshica

When I turned it back on, the wrench light was off though
the check engine light was on.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:27 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

My first thought is the MAF disconnected or part of the intake came loose from the TB. Be sure to post what it was.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:14 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

The drive by wire has controls that shut the motor down or put it in fail safe if someone is abusing the car or it over revs or heats up etc. With stock tunes, they start to close partially at the top end. I read that in an article 3-4 years ago.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:45 AM
Metroshica
2nd Gear Member

Got a call from the dealership early this morning, apparently their mechanic stayed late last nght and already got my car taken car, I was pretty impressed. Said that the MAF went bed, and they just put in a new one. Quite a relief to hear it was something so minor. Sorry I didn't get the DTC for you guys, as of right now I don't have anything that can read them, nor do I have any friends in the area who can.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:02 PM
rshockey78

What is the MAF?
Old 01-19-2010, 11:03 PM
rshockey78

I have a 2005 GT, manual. It semms to boggle back and forth in lower gears 1st, 2nd and 3rd really bad between 15 and 35 mph, like its milkshaking, and jerking back in forth. As I slow and smoothly step on the gas, the car jerks back and forth, the harder I accelerate the more smooth it is. I made some bolt on mods. It has the 62 MM BBK throttle body, cold air intake, BBK pulleys, BBK long tube headers into a BBK catted X-pipe into a cat back magna flow exhaust, and I also replaced the coils with MSD masterblasters, and changed the plugs at the same time, and I have a Diablo predator tuner for it, and the jerking has steadily gotten worse over the past few months. When I got the exhaust put on, it did not come with rear 02 extenders, so I drove around for a bit like that with my engine light on, and figured this may be a problem so I finally put the extenders on it, and I reset the computer back to the stock program, and then back to the 93 performance program. I talked to a buddy after it still kept on doing it, and he recommended I change out the throttle response sensor, so I did, and it got a little bit smoother, but 2 days later it was back to doing the same thing. Someone else recommended the fuel filter, or the timing is off on it. I know I can modify the timing on the Diablo programmer, but don't know exactly how to do it, or set it. If anyone has any ideas and can help make it run smooth again, I would appreciate it. You can email me directly at rshockey78@yahoo.com
Old 01-20-2010, 11:08 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by rshockey78
What is the MAF?
https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...oder-list.html
Old 01-20-2010, 11:12 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rshockey78
I have a 2005 GT, manual. It semms to boggle back and forth in lower gears 1st, 2nd and 3rd really bad between 15 and 35 mph, like its milkshaking, and jerking back in forth. As I slow and smoothly step on the gas, the car jerks back and forth, the harder I accelerate the more smooth it is. I made some bolt on mods. It has the 62 MM BBK throttle body, cold air intake, BBK pulleys, BBK long tube headers into a BBK catted X-pipe into a cat back magna flow exhaust, and I also replaced the coils with MSD masterblasters, and changed the plugs at the same time, and I have a Diablo predator tuner for it, and the jerking has steadily gotten worse over the past few months. When I got the exhaust put on, it did not come with rear 02 extenders, so I drove around for a bit like that with my engine light on, and figured this may be a problem so I finally put the extenders on it, and I reset the computer back to the stock program, and then back to the 93 performance program. I talked to a buddy after it still kept on doing it, and he recommended I change out the throttle response sensor, so I did, and it got a little bit smoother, but 2 days later it was back to doing the same thing. Someone else recommended the fuel filter, or the timing is off on it. I know I can modify the timing on the Diablo programmer, but don't know exactly how to do it, or set it. If anyone has any ideas and can help make it run smooth again, I would appreciate it. You can email me directly at rshockey78@yahoo.com
You probably need a different tune. Something little more custom to your mods. Contact Brenspeed or a local tuner and see what they say.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:40 PM
rshockey78

On the 20th.

I got in the car this morning and engine light was on. Checked the codes and got P0430- Catalyst Sensor Efficiency Below Threshold ( Bank 2) and P2197- O2 sensorsignal stuck Lean-Bank 2, sensor 1. So I called American Muscle to talk to a tech since thats where I ordered all this from, and explained what's going on since putting the parts on, he told me that the car needs to be tuned, and to call Diablo and talk to them. So I called Diablo and talk to a tech, and I told him the trouble codes, and he said it doesn't need a tune, he said whoever put in the headers probably installed them with the sensors connected and therefore basically one of them is not working on the passengers side, so he said to look at the sensors and harnesses and find out which one is bad. So I put it on a lift today, and could not find anything noticeably wrong with any of the sensors or harnesses. The only odd thing I noticed is, 3 of the sensors are the stock ford one's, and 1 of the sensors looks like an aftermarket Bosch sensor, but that one is on the front drivers side. The tech believes replacing the bad sensor should fix the problem, so I'm trying to decide on replacing the 2 passenger side sensors, or just replacing all 4?

Quick Reply: Electronic Throttle Control Problem