Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Can not get hooked up!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 08:01 PM
GrayGhost01GT
4th Gear Member

Default Can not get hooked up!!!

Hey guys, just on some desolate back roads tonight and have that ipod touch gadget the dynomaxx or dyno meter registers your 1/4 miles and your 0-60 I can not seem to get my car to hook up it is just alot of excessive wheel spin all the way till 40 mph! Which is driving me nuts, I have the stock Pirelli P Nero Zero tires all weather tires could that be my problem? All I have is a brenspeed tune and axle back! Anyone have any times Once I had traction on still spinning but better and then in sport mod just spun all the way basically to 60
Old 02-01-2010, 08:20 PM
bustacrab
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GrayGhost01GT
Hey guys, just on some desolate back roads tonight and have that ipod touch gadget the dynomaxx or dyno meter registers your 1/4 miles and your 0-60 I can not seem to get my car to hook up it is just alot of excessive wheel spin all the way till 40 mph! Which is driving me nuts, I have the stock Pirelli P Nero Zero tires all weather tires could that be my problem? All I have is a brenspeed tune and axle back! Anyone have any times Once I had traction on still spinning but better and then in sport mod just spun all the way basically to 60
try launching at a lower RPM. What are you trying to launch at?
Old 02-01-2010, 08:25 PM
Lil_Chef
3rd Gear Member

My car hooks up like a charm. but i have the track pack on it, i dont remember if i have different tires or not.

what is this app that you use?
Old 02-01-2010, 08:27 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Originally Posted by Lil_Chef
My car hooks up like a charm. but i have the track pack on it, i dont remember if i have different tires or not.

what is this app that you use?
The Trackpack has much better tires. They are Summer peformance tires with alot more grip than the standard 19" tires that come on the 3.73 rear axle pack option
Old 02-01-2010, 08:34 PM
Lil_Chef
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wilkinda
The Trackpack has much better tires. They are Summer peformance tires with alot more grip than the standard 19" tires that come on the 3.73 rear axle pack option
well then that answers it i guess.

its your tires, try modulating your throttle a bit better.
this reminds me of the Car and Driver article where they took the 2010 stang with track pack to VIR. they did a couple laps without the better tires (ford installed the wrong tires) then they did a few laps with the better tires.
there was a massive 8 second difference between the two.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:46 PM
GrayGhost01GT
4th Gear Member

I have the ugly fan blades that are 18x9 so I guess my tires could be the problem, I was just launching from a dead stop at idle just a pedal to the metal, that also could be my problem I was trying to do my own car and driver 0-60 lol what is a good area to launch as far as RPM's go and how would I launch with an auto car is holding the brake like power braking bad for an auto? Sorry for such dumb questions but its been a long time and I want to do well when I go to the track for the first time this summer and leave the streets for good lol!
Old 02-01-2010, 09:11 PM
Lil_Chef
3rd Gear Member

ive never driven an auto with more than 160 hp so.... i cant help there
Old 02-01-2010, 09:19 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

I notice you are out East. What is the tempurature. That is probably your problem. While the Track Pack tires are better, the standard 19's will not spin until 40 MPH on a normal GT. You are probably suffering from launcing at too high an RPM (try launching about 2200 RPM) and the cold tires do not like to hook up.

Lil Chef is in FL so he is going to hook better in the winter months even if you both were running the same tires.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:29 PM
Lil_Chef
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FastDEW
I notice you are out East. What is the tempurature. That is probably your problem. While the Track Pack tires are better, the standard 19's will not spin until 40 MPH on a normal GT. You are probably suffering from launcing at too high an RPM (try launching about 2200 RPM) and the cold tires do not like to hook up.

Lil Chef is in FL so he is going to hook better in the winter months even if you both were running the same tires.
its actually freakishly cold here as well
i was at the Rolex 24 hour race and the temperature was around the low 40's
i did a hard launch too 60 earlier today (circa 50 degrees) and all i got was a chirp from my tires
Old 02-01-2010, 09:51 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lil_Chef
its actually freakishly cold here as well
i was at the Rolex 24 hour race and the temperature was around the low 40's
i did a hard launch too 60 earlier today (circa 50 degrees) and all i got was a chirp from my tires
The OP is either in Maryland or Tenn depending (based upon his location shown). He said he was doing these runs at night.

In any case, I am figuring his termpurature for upper 20's or low 30's at best. That is much colder than mid 50's for a performance tire to hook up.

Quick Reply: Can not get hooked up!!!