Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

mutha thumpr!

Old 02-09-2010, 04:55 PM
VanWilder
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bobbadio
really nice man, quick question though, this is my daily driver so from your experience do they ***** thumpr cams have to much lope? like i love the sound of them but is it going to be shaking the hell out of my car when stopped? and can you still have somewhat of a conversation with a person in the passenger seat without yelling?
it does lope pretty good and will give your car a little shake especially if you do poly motor mounts...but thats one of the things I love about it...as for having a conversation in the car its definately not a problem at all....trust me you will love them!!
Old 02-10-2010, 05:44 PM
soon2bu
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by VanWilder
it does lope pretty good and will give your car a little shake especially if you do poly motor mounts...but thats one of the things I love about it...as for having a conversation in the car its definately not a problem at all....trust me you will love them!!
How much did the whole install cost you? I'd assume at least $1500?
Old 02-11-2010, 12:15 PM
VanWilder
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by soon2bu
LoL well I work at a dealership and got everything installed (Headers, midpipe, motor mounts, cams, phasers, and delete plates for $300
Old 02-11-2010, 11:09 PM
bobbadio

Originally Posted by soon2bu
The shop where I bring all my stuff gave me an estimate of $400 for comp cam NSR. I don't know how much more it will be for the ***** thumpr because of the cam phaser limiter to be installed. I did get a estimate of 1500 at another shop which involved the replacing of the springs and installing VSR comp cams. (that 1500 also included a tune)
Old 02-11-2010, 11:14 PM
VanWilder
2nd Gear Member

The shop where I bring all my stuff gave me an estimate of $400 for comp cam NSR. I don't know how much more it will be for the ***** thumpr because of the cam phaser limiter to be installed. I did get a estimate of 1500 at another shop which involved the replacing of the springs and installing VSR comp cams. (that 1500 also included a tune)
I'd stick with the shop that quoted $400 because installing the phasers is simple and not time consuming
Old 03-02-2010, 08:02 PM
IA_Chiefs_fan
2nd Gear Member

really nice man, quick question though, this is my daily driver so from your experience do they ***** thumpr cams have to much lope? like i love the sound of them but is it going to be shaking the hell out of my car when stopped? and can you still have somewhat of a conversation with a person in the passenger seat without yelling?
I am very curious about this as well.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:55 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I have second guessed my cam choice about 10 times and can't figure it out, haha.

Oh I know ALL about that, LOL! I flip-flopped like a million times.

I was set on Thumprs for many months, but switched back to FRPP Hot Rods due to them being easier to install and less low end loss. I also heard numerous stories about low speed (traffic) drive-ability issues w/ the Thumprs and virtually none w/ the hot rods. But, this could just be a tune thing.

I still think the ***** Thumprs sound a little better (more lopey) than the hot rods, but I'm still 100% happy w/ the hot rods. Either way you'll be loving every second of it.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:37 AM
VanWilder
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SirKnightTG
Oh I know ALL about that, LOL! I flip-flopped like a million times.

I was set on Thumprs for many months, but switched back to FRPP Hot Rods due to them being easier to install and less low end loss. I also heard numerous stories about low speed (traffic) drive-ability issues w/ the Thumprs and virtually none w/ the hot rods. But, this could just be a tune thing.

I still think the ***** Thumprs sound a little better (more lopey) than the hot rods, but I'm still 100% happy w/ the hot rods. Either way you'll be loving every second of it.
couldnt have said it any better...and as for the low speed drivability with the thumprs...it is all in the tune...I've had my fair share of tunes...Bama 93 Race being my first which was really good up top but low speed drivability sucked and there was a lot of bucking...when I changed to the Tillman Speed 93 All Out the low end bucking completely went away and it actually pulled better up top than the Bama did...the thing I love about the thumprs of course is the sound but they also keep building power and dont drop off at 6000 rpm like it did stock...I was still building power up to 6800rpm!! Right now I'm having VCT issues from 3800 to redline...either a tune issue or its mechanical (phaser limiter issue), havent found out yet, but I still made 330rwhp...Chris told me with the way the VCT is acting if it was corrected I should see another 15-20rwhp so as you can see they do make good power...like SirKnight said either way you go you will be completely happy
Old 03-03-2010, 08:48 AM
VanWilder
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by IA_Chiefs_fan
I am very curious about this as well.
Refer to post #11...you will love these cams
Old 03-03-2010, 11:44 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by VanWilder
btw you will love them because of the attention they bring with the sound they will give your car...I absolutely love it everytime I start my car...also after I got mine installed with possibly a slipping clutch and a 20mph headwind coming at me I pulled off a 12.41 in the quarter...never seen mufflers (a sound only mod) pull those kinda #s LoL
.. that's an excellent time you ran with your mods.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: mutha thumpr!