Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Sts twin turbo or whipple supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 05:34 PM
BlackLX_92
2nd Gear Member

Default Sts twin turbo or whipple supercharger?

I have a 06 mustang gt and was wondering which would be better performance mod for my car or if u have any onther suggestions I want a sc or turbo that is upgradable as I go along with mods like a fully forged bottomend and stuff.

Thanks,
chance
Old 03-08-2010, 05:40 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Last edited by BruceH; 01-02-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:59 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BruceH
Whipple
+1
Whipple ftw!
Old 03-08-2010, 07:33 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

I don't think one is better than the other when it comes to turbo or TS, both have their good and bad points. If you want a turbo stay far far away from the STS kit. There are major problems with the oiling system on that kit and it's not possible to upgrade the turbos to something bigger. Most turbo setups can be upgraded at a later date with a bigger turbo. Give Jim Napier at Turbohorsepower.com or Mike at Powerhouse411.com a call. They both make great kits and can answer all you questions about going turbo.

Earl
Old 03-08-2010, 08:29 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

Go with the whipple. If I could truly afford the whipple ho kit I would be very happy.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:55 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by retfr8flyr
I don't think one is better than the other when it comes to turbo or TS, both have their good and bad points. If you want a turbo stay far far away from the STS kit. There are major problems with the oiling system on that kit and it's not possible to upgrade the turbos to something bigger. Most turbo setups can be upgraded at a later date with a bigger turbo. Give Jim Napier at Turbohorsepower.com or Mike at Powerhouse411.com a call. They both make great kits and can answer all you questions about going turbo.

Earl
That's sort of true. Their oiling issue has been taken care of for quite some time but an early track record of bad oil pumps caused a huge issue that will haunt them forever.

A 68mm turbo capable of 680 can be purchased from them. For alot less money than the upgrade, I took mine into to a custom turbo shop and they built a 62-1 BB turbo capable of 700 with better internals and oiling.

If you plan on tracking the car, go with a whipple. If you don't, it's personal choice.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:43 PM
BlackLX_92
2nd Gear Member

Thanks yeah I think a sc is the way I'll go what about the edlebroke sc is it anygood?
Old 03-09-2010, 06:38 PM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
That's sort of true. Their oiling issue has been taken care of for quite some time but an early track record of bad oil pumps caused a huge issue that will haunt them forever.
Once again, Simon, you are mistaken and/or misinformed. THE OILING ISSUE HAS NOT BEEN RESOLVED!!! PERIOD. As long as STS is using an electric scavange pump, that will be the week link. I don't care how many happy customers you or anyone else tells me they have. My kit was NOT one of the early ones. I believed people when they made statements like yours, and I wasted over $8000 on a kit that now takes up space in my basement.

To the OP, search for my more detailed posts regarding STS and you will be sorry you even asked about the kit. STS is a company of crooks that care more about racing their own cars than taking care of paying customers. When their junk fails, they will just leave you hanging. Customer support is horrible, and only available 9-5 M-F MST. No sympathy, no refunds, no exchanges, no credit after 30 days, and absolutely no help.

I recommend that anyone who is interested in the STS kits contact a local tuner or speed shop and get their impressions of STS. When I called around my area the overwhelming response was "Yeah, I've FIXED several of those". Had I gone through this excercise, I would have saved myself a big chunk of time, $$$, headaches and, I would have a perfectly reliable whipple supercharger under the hood.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:41 AM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

I love my whipple, but if someone wanted to trade for their turbohorsepower twins, I'd do it in a heartbeat. That kit looks so bad @ss
Old 03-10-2010, 02:39 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

You mean something like this?

Earl

Quick Reply: Sts twin turbo or whipple supercharger?