Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

header question

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 06:25 PM
aframe
2nd Gear Member

Default header question

I am about to buy a header for my 06 gt just curious what the difference between long tube and shorty headers do for my performance
Old 03-09-2010, 01:48 AM
Jersey Stang
2nd Gear Member

I feel NA cars benefit the most from shorties. The shorties create back pressure giving you more low end power. LT's benefit from forced induction, allowing the car to breathe better. LT's on a NA car will lower your low end power.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:25 AM
IA_Chiefs_fan
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jersey Stang
I feel NA cars benefit the most from shorties. The shorties create back pressure giving you more low end power. LT's benefit from forced induction, allowing the car to breathe better. LT's on a NA car will lower your low end power.
So you're saying I'd get better performance from shorties than LT's? My only mods are JLT CAI, Magnaflow catback, 3.73 gears, & Brenspeed tune.
I always thought you could get a lot more out of LT with a tune.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:30 AM
liberty911
2nd Gear Member

LTs will provide more power, but the extent of such power is dependent on the other modifications.

STs make more sound.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:36 AM
dysan
2nd Gear Member

Yeah...I have read quite a few threads on another forum stating that shorties are only for sound and there is no real gain from them unless you are going to go turbo in your car. If you are staying N/A or going supercharged, then go for long tubes.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:10 AM
aframe
2nd Gear Member

thanks guys i wasnt sure if i wanted a turbo or procharger but i guess LT with a procharger in the future is the way i will go
Old 03-09-2010, 11:43 AM
dysan
2nd Gear Member

I wouldn't guess about that one. Be 100% sure of which direction you want to go first, then make your decision about your exhaust. Also, something to consider is that if you are going to do a custom twin turbo set-up, I think I've seen some that use the stock exhaust manifolds and turn them around and I suspect you wouldn't be able to do that with shorty headers due to room constraints.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:24 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html_pr...torquemyth.htm

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=659727

The idea that back-pressure gives you more torque is a myth. The ONLY time having exhaust that flows less with equate it more power is when your engine/computer cannot compensate for the better flow, and your engine leans out.

Back-pressure = power lost.

Long (and more importantly equal length) tubes, increase the exhaust velocity and allow the pulse waves of the exhaust to all enter the collector in the same time period, helping to equalize pressure. That coupled with an h or, even better, an X pipe help to create even flow throughout the entire system.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:54 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Go long IMO!! Thats where I am headed!!

patrick
Old 03-09-2010, 11:01 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

you lose back pressure you lose low end torq...that is not a myth, my butt dyno cerrtainly notice it after i took the cats and stock mufflers off the car

Quick Reply: header question