Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Borla vs Flowmaster

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 04:16 PM
jdl0812

Default Borla vs Flowmaster

Does anyone have any advice on these. I went with Flowmaster before but that was a 5.0 Fox Body. I've been told by a friend that they make a tinging sound on the newer GT's and to go with Borla. I was also told Flowmaster rusts really easily and quickly, but living in Vegas, rust isn't a huge problem. Any input you have would be helpful. Thanks!
Old 03-15-2010, 06:03 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

On the 05-10 most people prefer borla over flowmasters. Borla has a deeper tone and is louder than the flow 40s and American Thunder. There is the flows classic which is supposed to sound similar to MAC axlebacks.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:05 AM
Leos06gtLL
3rd Gear Member

avoid chambered mufflers unless you dont mind drone.

Borla stingers drone a little bit but sound great.

Corsa exhaust is a quieter exhaust but opens up nicely.

Bassani also makes a nice exhaust

from my experience in this order
corsa
bassani
stingers borla

just my opinion
Old 03-16-2010, 11:38 AM
CSS996
2nd Gear Member

Good LAWD!

Corsa isn't TOO proud of their product, are they?
Old 03-16-2010, 12:04 PM
loudnlow
3rd Gear Member

Corsa is wayyy too overpriced and dont sound all that great IMO. Flowmasters make some stainless mufflers now that wont rust especially if you live in Vegas. Chambered mufflers like Flowmasters and MAC mufflers sound great with a prochamber, off road H pipe and stock H pipes, they just sound aweful with off road X pipes. Borlas do sound good with any mid pipe though. If you want pure deep rumble though flowmasters or MAC is the way to go. Go on youtube and do some searching they are thousands of exhaust clips to help you make up your mind.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:28 PM
Leos06gtLL
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by loudnlow
Corsa is wayyy too overpriced and dont sound all that great IMO. Flowmasters make some stainless mufflers now that wont rust especially if you live in Vegas. Chambered mufflers like Flowmasters and MAC mufflers sound great with a prochamber, off road H pipe and stock H pipes, they just sound aweful with off road X pipes. Borlas do sound good with any mid pipe though. If you want pure deep rumble though flowmasters or MAC is the way to go. Go on youtube and do some searching they are thousands of exhaust clips to help you make up your mind.
Corsa overpriced???? well if you consider they dont drone at all and open up really nice when u get into them well I guess you get what you pay for.....I know someone that has a prochamber with mac exhaust it f8cking loud and sounds like crap

the OP was asking about flowmaster vs. borla I will never fun flowmaster on any of my cars ever again. Go with borla if you have or get 4.10s you will never/hardly ever be in the "drone rpm". I use to run the actual borla stingers not the frpp on my car if you live in vegas get the frpp ones the only difference is the frpp ones are galvanized steel vs the stainless steel polished finish with the borla but the frpp ones are much more inexpensive.

Last edited by Leos06gtLL; 03-16-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:39 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

A friend of mine has a full MAC set-up: MAC L/T, O/R prochamber and MAC axlebacks. I think it sounds good. I thought it would be louder and deeper. Has a hollow/airy sound. I think my prochamber w/hi-flows and magnpacks was deeper and a little louder. It might be the magnapacks like the stingers have a more solid deep tone vs the hollow sound.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:41 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jdl0812
I've been told by a friend that they make a tinging sound on the newer GT's and to go with Borla.
Your friend is exactly correct
Old 03-16-2010, 01:47 PM
loudnlow
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Leos06gtLL
Corsa overpriced???? well if you consider they dont drone at all and open up really nice when u get into them well I guess you get what you pay for.....I know someone that has a prochamber with mac exhaust it f8cking loud and sounds like crap

the OP was asking about flowmaster vs. borla I will never fun flowmaster on any of my cars ever again. Go with borla if you have or get 4.10s you will never/hardly ever be in the "drone rpm". I use to run the actual borla stingers not the frpp on my car if you live in vegas get the frpp ones the only difference is the frpp ones are galvanized steel vs the stainless steel polished finish with the borla but the frpp ones are much more inexpensive.
Corsa not overpriced???? You gotta be kidding me anyone that spends $800 on a set of mufflers that dont sound good is outta their mind. Of course if money isnt an option and you dont have to work hard for stuff it doesnt matter. And if your gonna **** and moan about drone you probably should drive a honda or a prius.

to the OP exhaust notes are all based on opinion and personal preference. Most people love the prochamber with mac mufflers. I also love borla as well they do sound great.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:56 PM
loudnlow
3rd Gear Member

A couple other great axle backs to check out are the boom tubes and SLP loudmouths, and then ther pypes mid mufflers too they sound great.

Quick Reply: Borla vs Flowmaster