Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

intermittent timing issure please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 05:37 PM
chrisgtpony

Default intermittent timing issure please help

i have a 2007 mustang gt. I was driving it and slowing down for a red lite when all of a sudden the car started to shake and idle very roughly. i used my scan tool to bring the codes up and i got pretty much every camshaft code u can think of. i had random misfiring and the camshaft codes said camshaft too retarded and camshaft sensor a bank 1 and bank 2. i need to know if anyone has had the same issue or what i can possubly do to resolve this situation. Ford said that i have a timing issue but they cant squeeze me in until 2 weeks from now.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:04 PM
schleppo

Had/have the same problem. Been back and forth to the dealer 4 times now for this issue. First time they replaced a sensor and it worked great for about 500 miles. Started happening again in February and the dealer claims that they can't find the problem, regardless that the codes are set. Usually happens when the engine is cold and driving it before it has completely warmed up. Once it warms up completely it seems to operate fine...which has a lot to do with why the dealer claims they can't find the problem. If you have any luck with this one, let me know so I can kick my mechanic and have it fixed already. 45 days total without my car is not cool.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:40 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

This sort of thing has happened to me exactly once. I had taken my car into the dealer for an oil change. When I picked it up, I got about two miles down the road before the **** hit the fan, so to speak. Lost almost all power, car would shake violently at idle, backfiring, etc. Shutdown and restart didn't change it. Eventually the wrench light also came on.

The dealership paid for the tow back to have it looked at. They claimed it also threw almost every code in the book, but it ran fine by the time they got to it the next day. They cleared the codes and test drove it off and on all day, and couldn't find anything wrong with it.

I chalked it up to the Ghost in the Machine...
Old 04-06-2010, 08:12 PM
chrisgtpony

My timing issue has been diagnosed by the dealer.... They say that my camshaft position sensors went bad due to an oil restriction not allowing oil to reach the top of the motor. when the motor was torn down all the way to the heads they could not find any kind of restriction at all. all the oil galleys looked perfect and no trace of any kind of restriction was able to be seen. So they say that when these sensors go bad that the computer reads as a lack of oil to the cams. The VCT or camshaft phaser sensor as they like to call them went bad for some unknown reason. The sensors are $320.00 each. So with labor and a tow and all the diagnostic tests it is $1,650 to get this fixed. But when the bad sensors come out they are being sent to ford for testing. If it comes back that the sensors just crapped out on me and didnt got bad due to any of my modifications then I have been Guarenteed a full refund because these sensors are not supposed to break down the way that they did. especially with under 40,000 miles on the car
Old 04-06-2010, 09:04 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i hope the dealership or ford can cut you a
break. sorry for the troubles but glad the
issue may finally be solved.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:24 PM
chrisgtpony

so far the issue is solved. they are not going to cut me a break on anything really other then not charging me tax so its $1,650.00 out the door for me. If the sensors fail again within 1 year from pick up date then they fix it again for free. The sensors that were bad are being sent to ford for additional testing. If the parts come back defective then I will be refunded my money that i paid for the repairs. I should hopefully have the car back by friday. I was planning on going to the track and making a couple of passes but with a fresh top half rebuild i dont think that would be a good idea. if i get anymore info on this i will make sure i post it up. I hope that nobody has this same problem. Ford says it is common in the 5.4 liter motors on the shelbys and the Ford trucks. Usually not the 4.6 liter. I would have to have the freak of the herd.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:01 PM
chrisgtpony

so the timing issue is still not resolved with my car. I was told that the camshaft phaser sensors were bad. The sensors were replaced and the car still does not work. Now they are leaning towards the phaser solenoids being bad also. Its only been a week but now im getting frustrated. I missed the first racing day of the season and looks like i will miss atleast one more. I will post again when i get the diagnosis from ford
Old 04-12-2010, 04:15 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

man sorry to hear this. let us know
what ford thinks this next time around.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:52 PM
chrisgtpony

ok well ford so far replaced the VCT sensors. they also replaced the cam solenoids and the valve bodies for the solenoids. They put the car back together and took it for a test drive. They said the car ran great and all of a sudden started to bog down and misfire. Same thing that it was doing before. They did and oil pressure test and found that when the car was warm and at an idle that oil pressure is only at 18 psi when it should be at just around 32 psi. The oil is being blocked in the bottom end for some reason that they dont understand. So they told me today that they are pulling the motor and giving me a brand new shortblock. I guess the motor will be torn down to see what the problem is but i am getting a new bottom end. The bad thing is that i will be without my stang for about 3 more weeks. That will be 6 weeks total. I was told that after the new motor is in they will take it to be dyno tuned and should have more horsepower because the motor will be working like it was intended to. I dont know if i totally believe that part but we will see. I will keep everybody informed of any other news. Oh by the way this is now covered under fords warranty policy. I no longer owe them a dime for this problem
Old 04-29-2010, 04:37 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

that's great that they are doing all of this under
warranty, i bet it's going to run very well after
the new short block and tuning.

Quick Reply: intermittent timing issure please help