Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Grinding & missing 3rd!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 11:12 AM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

Default Grinding & missing 3rd!

Last night while racing @ atco, I notice that my car is really hard to shift from 2nd into 3rd and its now grinding into 3rd (when racing). I really hope I didn't F my tranny up. I have a B & M shifter that I'll be installing soon. I also came across this : http://www.cheperformance.com/CartGenie/prod-208.htm

Just wondering if anyone has ever used one or any advice would be appreciative?
Old 06-19-2010, 11:55 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

That will do it along with some poly bushings for the OEM shifter.
The new shifter should get the grinding out of the picture
but the damage has already been done??
Attached Thumbnails Grinding & missing 3rd!-kmemberbrace.jpg  
Old 06-19-2010, 12:05 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

The exact same thing happened to me. Went to the track and could not shift into 3rd gear.. Then it started grinding going into third. Found out it was my syncros, which translates into getting a new transmission. My tranny lasted for about 6 mths before if totally went out.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:19 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

yup, same thing here when I went to the track, unless I shifted slow 3rd gear was a PITA. I already had the hurst shifter and it still hung up.

a member on here suggested adding the CHE K-member brace with the limiters and that made everything perfect, haven't missed a shift since!
Old 06-19-2010, 01:26 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by johnnyv8
Last night while racing @ atco, I notice that my car is really hard to shift from 2nd into 3rd and its now grinding into 3rd (when racing). I really hope I didn't F my tranny up. I have a B & M shifter that I'll be installing soon. I also came across this : http://www.cheperformance.com/CartGenie/prod-208.htm

Just wondering if anyone has ever used one or any advice would be appreciative?
I'm not expert and i dont know if this was an issue in the 06 versions, but this was a known issue with some 05's. Basicalyl the remote shifter and torque makes the 2-3 shift very hard. The TSB on the 05's added torque limiters to the car to eliminate the issue. When running hard my 10 is very hard to shift from second to thrid as well. We have had this same discussion among the 10 owners too. The consensus is that either a k-member with torque straps or a short sifter will fix the issue. Can you shift withotu issues just driving around? If you crunch all the time i say tranny issue, if only when racing or near redline i say its the torque issue.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:20 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

Another victim of missing 3rd at the track. Out of 7 runs I missed 3rd three times. I am not sure if the heat had anything to do with it, but when the weather was cooler I did a little spirited driving on the street to test the 2nd to 3rd shift and there was no problem. This Monday, I will order a CHE K-member with a torque limiter. And Wed I am having new clutch and flywheel installed.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:27 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

I didn't notice the problem until I went to the track and was trying to shift as quick as possible. basically when the motor is twisted from the torque your shifter isn't aligned anymore and you get hung up in the gate. the limiters fix that.

like ShaneM said if it's a problem during normal driving too then it's a bigger problem than the limiters could fix.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:44 AM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

Only when I race or WOT does 3rd give me problems. Driving around town, the car shifts fine. I also notice their two different type of K-members, one being a "competition" k-member.

I suppose I will order these and pray it fixes my issue.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:22 AM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

3rd gear sucks stock (o5gt) mind you I have not noticed it on the 09
Old 06-20-2010, 06:51 AM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by johnnyv8
Only when I race or WOT does 3rd give me problems. Driving around town, the car shifts fine. I also notice their two different type of K-members, one being a "competition" k-member.

I suppose I will order these and pray it fixes my issue.
I think the competition one doesn't have poly bushings so you would get more vibrations but the motor would move less.

Originally Posted by Snakebite64
3rd gear sucks stock (o5gt) mind you I have not noticed it on the 09
mine is an '09 and it does it, didn't notice until the track though.

Quick Reply: Grinding & missing 3rd!