Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

filters gone haywire

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 06:25 PM
marlinmon07
2nd Gear Member

Default filters gone haywire

there are so many air filters out there, which one is best
Old 08-12-2005, 08:13 PM
Spencer069
1st Gear Member

Default RE: filters gone haywire

K&N
Old 08-12-2005, 10:49 PM
MackinMike

I would honestly say c&l have the best designed one. might not look as good as KN but it is built better
Old 08-12-2005, 10:59 PM
momustang
1st Gear Member

Everyone (well, just about everyone) that responds to your question is going to suggest the one they are using. With that in mind, I'm using the C&L intake system, and like it. But if you're just looking to replace the stock filter alone, go with a K&N.

HOWEVER, if you want a less-biased opinion, find a local mustang speed shop and talk to the guys that work there (provided they don't sell any one particular brand) and ask them which intakes systems and/or air filters they've seen or installed and think are of good quality.

Have fun!
~Mo
Old 08-13-2005, 11:06 AM
bahbahblacksheep
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: marlinmon07

there are so many air filters out there, which one is best
For the stock airbox? If you're keeping the stock airbox, I would say leave the paper filter in...remove the pre-cat cat (or as people call it here...the "vapor trap") in the inlet tubing though and get a tune.

Aftermarket filters for the stock airbox buy you very little except maybe the reusability factor.

If you're gonna get a CAI, then thats a different story. People seem to like the performance of the C&L
Old 08-13-2005, 04:28 PM
1fast05GT
3rd Gear Member

I like this one.

CAI
Old 08-13-2005, 11:41 PM
bahbahblacksheep
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1fast05GT

I like this one.

CAI
In your link, the pic of the JLT intake doesn't have a heat shield around the filter. i wonder how much more hot air this thing is sucking in compared to an intake with a heat shield?
Old 08-14-2005, 12:20 PM
momustang
1st Gear Member

The heat shield is important, but unlike what some people think, it's not there to keep the air filter itself cold. The heat shield is helping to ensure the air being sucked into the intake is coming from the lower valance/ground area, and not the hot air around the engine itself.
Cold air is denser than warm air, and contains more 02 per volume. The 02 is what's important, not necessarilly the volume of air, hence the principle behind a supercharger.

~Mo
Old 08-14-2005, 10:03 PM
bahbahblacksheep
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: momustang

The heat shield is important, but unlike what some people think, it's not there to keep the air filter itself cold. The heat shield is helping to ensure the air being sucked into the intake is coming from the lower valance/ground area, and not the hot air around the engine itself.
Cold air is denser than warm air, and contains more 02 per volume. The 02 is what's important, not necessarilly the volume of air, hence the principle behind a supercharger.

~Mo
right...this is what I was talking about
Old 08-15-2005, 12:08 AM
nbk13nw
2nd Gear Member

Well... I am sure that there is some benefit to be had with colder air. But considering that most, if not all of the CAI's out there, have no fresh air channeled into the thing then most gains would be negated anyway. I still think, and would love to have some fresh air coming into the CAI, but unless the box is sealed and only air from outside is allowed into the sealed box then I would think that most of the options out there provide no more increases to power over another from cooler air alone. I think the power differences would be in the MAF size, filter density and the channeling of the air from the MAF to the throttle body. But still... I have the JLT and love it, more cold air would make me happy! Maybe a Shaker hood system or one of the hoods with channels built into the underside would be something to consider. Or the Western Motorsports CAI (If it works).

Quick Reply: filters gone haywire