Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2010 Brake Dust

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 12:21 AM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Default 2010 Brake Dust

Does anybody else out there have a problem with brake dust?? I mean like terrible. I have the 3.73 axle package and from what I understand it is more or less the "Trac Pac" minus the tires. I am also under the impression that means high performance brake pads and larger front roters. What other pads is anyone using that may cut down on all this dust. I also do not run upb to the stop light and throw out the anchor so to speak.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:53 AM
GTjoe49
2nd Gear Member

I have a similar setup, but have not noticed an unusual amount of brake dust. I have not had to clean my wheels any more than I normally would. I also have not noticed the fronts getting any dustier than the rears. I have over 15K on the odo with plenty left on the pads, so wear is not an issue.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:37 AM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

I noticed your wheels a different than mine. I have the silver painted 5 spoke's. The dust REALLY shows up on them. I am wondering if Hawk pads are less prone to dust.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:05 AM
anadventurer1

I have used the Hawk HPS pads on several of my rides. The brake dust was greatly reduced while while braking and wear improved. Since they last longer and you'll use less cleaner they are worth the investment.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:01 AM
wingless
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mapitts
I also do not run upb to the stop light and throw out the anchor so to speak.
The brakes are getting too much usage.

My driving has me using the brakes infrequently. I get almost no dust and my brakes typically last well over 100K miles.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:07 PM
GTjoe49
2nd Gear Member

My winter snowshoes run on the 5-spoke wheels and I have not noticed excessive brake dust.

I would certainly try a different pad.

[/URL]
Old 09-09-2010, 07:01 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

The factory 3.73 and Track Pack both use the same front pad. It is made by Performance Friction, which is a very high performance pad. They are good when hot, little fade and tend to squeal and have extra dust.

Having said that though, i have the 3.73 package (which means Performance Friction Pads) and I drive fairly hard. I have not had any abnormal brake dust. In fact, I feel I have had very little brake dust considering how hard I drive.

Are you having the issue on both sides? If only one side, you could have a stuck caliper. If it is on both side, perhaps you are riding the brake a bit? I havent seen or heard of this issue on a 2010.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:04 AM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

No, it is all the way around. Maybe I am doing what wingless said, to a degree. I do a lot of driving in town. Although I do nt fly up to a red light and bring it to a screeching halt, I may be braking a little "harder" than I used to. It is not turning the wheels black. It is a just a little brown soon after washing.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:02 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Usually (in my experience anyway) you tend to get more brake dust if you are riding the brakes then hitting them hard at the last minute.

I guess one questions is - What are you comparing it to? It is a performance car, so the brake dust will be more than an SUV or grociery getter.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:02 AM
jawsgt
2nd Gear Member

i have the same broblem. when i first got the car they squiked quite a bit and had alot of brake dust so i took it back to the dealer and had them replace everything. well it still does the same thing. my 19 in. silver wheels will turn black if i dont clean them and i dont use my brakes very hard either

Quick Reply: 2010 Brake Dust