Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

UNINTENDED ACCELERATION

Old 10-20-2010, 09:55 AM
Flat out
2nd Gear Member

Default UNINTENDED ACCELERATION

I don't know what to think, but before I head off to my local Ford dealer I thought I'd ask. I bought a used 07 CS GT a few months ago, the car had 8200 mi. when I got it and I've driven it about 450mi. Two weeks ago while driving the car coming out of second gear the accelerator just took off out of the blue, and I caught it right away, scared he s$%t out of me, because the car is new to me I thought it my have been something I did with my feet, or possibly a hung up floor mat, drove the car a little more with no problem. Yesterday I finally got around to installing a coil over setup, and after finishing up the front I had to move the car, started it up, let idle a few minutes and blipped the throttle as I sometimes do, well it fire walled, I didn't have time to look but it sounded like it hit the rev limiter, not real good for a motor, I've done a search and haven't found anything on the subject. The only motor mod so far is an SCT tune which I am going to unload this morning, so I'm wondering if anyone here has had or heard of a problem like this. I need to get to the bottom of this before this car kills somebody. Thanks Jon
Old 10-20-2010, 10:28 AM
KXRM
1st Gear Member

I have owned Mustangs from different generations for the last 10 or 11 years and I have never experienced unintended acceleration in any of them.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:52 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

In over 3 years on the forums I've only heard one guy claim anything similar. Everyone called BS and he never backed up his claim. I'd suspect your tune and I'd clean the MAF and TB for starters. Also, COPs have been known to be plagued with drivability and reliability problems and do nothing for performance on a NA engine anyway.

When you say you "caught it right away"; can you explain HOW you caught it? What did you do?

As far as redlining, most folks here with a tune have raised the redline from the stock 6250 to 6500 or 6800 and even there we've bounced off it numerous times. This engine can easily handle it so don't sweat that aspect.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:55 AM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

are you sure you didn't buy a toyota?
Old 10-20-2010, 11:40 AM
Flat out
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
In over 3 years on the forums I've only heard one guy claim anything similar. Everyone called BS and he never backed up his claim. I'd suspect your tune and I'd clean the MAF and TB for starters. Also, COPs have been known to be plagued with drivability and reliability problems and do nothing for performance on a NA engine anyway.

When you say you "caught it right away"; can you explain HOW you caught it? What did you do?

As far as redlining, most folks here with a tune have raised the redline from the stock 6250 to 6500 or 6800 and even there we've bounced off it numerous times. This engine can easily handle it so don't sweat that aspect.
Thanks for the reply Nuke, when the motor took off my reaction was to depress the clutch and at the same time I shut the thing off, all of this while going down a pretty steep grade. Stopped the car caught my breath and the re started with no problem until yesterday, after working on the car installing a coil over set up on the front end I started the car to move it a few feet and blipped the gas and again it took off, this time the car was stationary and out of gear, everybody I've talked to has never heard of the problem, and probably think I'm nuts, well, I might be but I know for sure that this did happen, I'm not too crazy about the Ford dealer in my area, but if I can't figure this out I'll probably end up there, I just had a good look at the car, and I'm fairly sure it's a Mustang and not a Toyota. The Eibach coil over install was a piece of cake on the front, am planning on doing the rear sometime today, probably gonna be afraid to drive the thing though. I hate this kind of s%$t and seem to always end up with problems like this.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:22 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

When I first joined MF last November, I recall reading on here about somebody who had reported a throttle issue. The report was something on the 2010 I believe that he was on a mountain road and had the car go wide open, he pulled to the side with the clutch in and said the motor was redlined. He shut the car off and when restarted it was fine. But I do not recall if the thread actually went anywhere.

Other than that, I have never heard of a Mustang with this issue. Try a search and see if you can find the old thread, but I don't recall it really going anywhere.......
Old 10-20-2010, 12:24 PM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

ya, i would suspect the tune. how old is the tune, you may have mentioned and i just didnt see. did you take off your intake recentley? also could possibly be a stuck or sticking throttle body.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:24 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Is it a custom tune from a vendor like Brenspeed or Bama? Or did you adjust settings yourself with the tuner or used a canned tune?

I've had a 2005 Honda pilot apply brakes on it's own, so Toyta's drive themselves and Honda's stop themselves. Great
Old 10-20-2010, 04:43 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

It's almost impossible to make a car do this via calibration. Someone would literally have to do it intentionally and use 4-5 different parts of the tune to try and keep it at WOT. I still don't think it would work - nor do I want to try.

Kind of a scary thought, I'd take a look into the throttle body mechanicals.

EDIT: There are a few Mustang PCM codes like Bullitt's and GT500's that would stick @ WOT if the torque module switch was turned off in the calibration, and I forgot about that.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:12 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

this happend to me before, turned out that the jack asses that installed my new wind shield didn't install my carpeting on the hook when they detailed it. Nearly killed me, those friggin jerk offs! Luckily I was able to just shut her off and steered to the side... I was standing on the breaks and nothing worked.. it just kept speeding and upshifting.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: UNINTENDED ACCELERATION