Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Glowing rotor

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 10:33 AM
redvertstang
2nd Gear Member

Crap. That's to bad. Good luck though.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:02 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Damn, that sucks!

Check your copy of the work order. Did they write down your request to check the parking brake?

If yes, you have written proof on a legally binding contract that they failed to fullfill
Old 01-23-2011, 01:40 PM
redvertstang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
Damn, that sucks!

Check your copy of the work order. Did they write down your request to check the parking brake?

If yes, you have written proof on a legally binding contract that they failed to fullfill
Good point. Otherwise is just his words against theirs.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:19 PM
washburn085
2nd Gear Member

I didn't take it by there since I had band practice. I called them and talked to service manager from yesterday and decided i don't trust them to touch my car again. He didn't understand when I told him the parking brake system needs to be checked. He just kept saying that the caliper is the parking brake, it took a few minutes for him to understand that there is more than the caliper. I had to get him to walk through how it works, but he still insisted that even if something else was wrong.. a snapped cable, etc, then the caliper would have had to been replaced anyway. And he assured my he was a mechanic for 13 years and is blah blah certified when I asked him if he even knew how parking brakes worked. That guy has never been under a car in his life, he didn't even know what a CAI was called when I was talking with the mechanic yesterday.

Will just take it to ford tomorrow.

Last edited by washburn085; 01-23-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:53 PM
asci01
2nd Gear Member

Actually the caliper is part of the brake. When u pull the handle that pulls a cable which makes the piston in the caliber move until the pads make contact with the rotor. There's no separate mechanism for the brake
Old 01-23-2011, 04:23 PM
washburn085
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by asci01
Actually the caliper is part of the brake. When u pull the handle that pulls a cable which makes the piston in the caliber move until the pads make contact with the rotor. There's no separate mechanism for the brake
Right, he just couldn't get it through his head that it could an issue with the cable and the caliper could have been fine the whole time. So the caliper replacement may have been unnecessary.

I just went and disengaged the parking brake. Hopefully it will warm up enough in the next day or so for it to unfreeze, assuming its the same issue that others are having. If so, then I'll just take it by ford in a few days, or wait until I go to my parents' house next and just fix it there.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:31 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

****ing lame *** repair shops screwing people over! Sucks

This is why I do all the work on my car. Like you, I have been hosed in the past.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:49 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by washburn085
I didn't take it by there since I had band practice. I called them and talked to service manager from yesterday and decided i don't trust them to touch my car again. He didn't understand when I told him the parking brake system needs to be checked. He just kept saying that the caliper is the parking brake, it took a few minutes for him to understand that there is more than the caliper. I had to get him to walk through how it works, but he still insisted that even if something else was wrong.. a snapped cable, etc, then the caliper would have had to been replaced anyway. And he assured my he was a mechanic for 13 years and is blah blah certified when I asked him if he even knew how parking brakes worked. That guy has never been under a car in his life, he didn't even know what a CAI was called when I was talking with the mechanic yesterday.

Will just take it to ford tomorrow.

Another thing you might have on your side: Do some research and find out if inspecting the parking brake cable(s) and other parking brake mechanisms is industry standard for trouble-shooting stuck brake calipers/drums/whatever.

If it is, the moron failed to follow industry standard to inspect the parking brake anyway, and he owes you a free repair and parts for is F***-up.

This guy sounds like a car-quack.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:12 PM
washburn085
2nd Gear Member

Ya, I should have done some research, the google, yahoo and yelp reviews all give this place a 1 out of 5 stars and tons of complaints....
Old 01-23-2011, 09:33 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by washburn085
Hey all, at NTB now. The caliper was the issue. Getting that caliper replaced and getting new pads and rotors on the rear. They even 'threw in' a flush. Quote was $587, but he said he was going to take off $15 or $20 since it is taking longer than the 1 hour he told me. Who knows. The emergency brake thing I mentioned could have been more of a mental thing since I was looking for problems.

I need to save up and get a house so I can do this myself...
Found the parts at summit for $170 plus shipping. Sounds pretty pricey.

That was rotors and pads for rear, new rebuilt caliper. Did not include fluid.

Quick Reply: Glowing rotor