MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   GT S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion-49/)
-   -   Porsche + Check engine light... (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion/630404-porsche-check-engine-light.html)

TheDutchTexan 01-27-2011 12:08 AM

Porsche + Check engine light...

I was on the way to work and ran into a Porsche, some brisk driving ensued for about a mile. I lost judging by the thumbs up (for effort?) and then thumbs down. I was hanging on... anyway. We part ways, and I go to work. No problem.

Then on the way to work I smell gas inside the car, I instinctively turn the blower on, if it is coming from the front, it would get stronger. It didn't. At work I pull the car back a full space to see if there was a leak anywhere. Nothing. Then on the way back from work I saw my check engine light was on.

Really? After 5 years of 0 problems? I park the car, tell the wife the check engine light is on and I have to go to the dealer next morning. I go back into the garage, and smell gas. F*ck...

I look under the car, pop the hood and "smell" the engine, nothing. Then I walk to the rear fuel door. Smell gets stronger. I pop the fuel door and wiggle the fuel cap. It must have come undone because it was loose. I read somewhere that the code takes time to clear, so I went ahead and disconnected the battery to get rid of the code. I figure that if there really was something wrong, it would pop up again instantly. After about 20 minutes I connected it again and went for a drive. Nothing wrong, car behaves a bit weird as it has to relearn throttle response and such, but no check engine light.

*keeps fingers crossed it was the fuel cap, and nothing else. Hopefully not to be continued.

I do love these forums! There are many things you can try yourself before having to go to someone else and have them take a look at it.

GTjoe49 01-27-2011 09:29 AM

My brother has a 911, damn those things are quick!

Was your tank full? If so, it sounds like you figured it out. No gas on the pavement is a very good sign.

Hope all stays OK.

TheDutchTexan 01-27-2011 01:46 PM

It was over 1/2 way full, I've had my car "yell" at me for a loose cap when the tank was almost empty. Why it triggered the CEL this time around I have no clue. We'll see what happens over the course of the next couple of days.

I have state inspection coming up, so if it comes back the cost of my inspection is going to be A fair bit more expensive. And here I was looking for zone bits to make it faster so I can annoy that porche a bit more next time...

oldlugs 01-27-2011 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Justice (Post 7391686)
I was on the way to work and ran into a Porsche, some brisk driving ensued for about a mile. I lost judging by the thumbs up (for effort?) and then thumbs down...

Damn Porsche drivin' bonehead! Someone need to teach that a-hole a lesson. Reminds me of playing with an old Porsche 912 around 30 years ago on the freeway... I was driving a stripped down (just gutted) '60 Mini, with a massaged Austin America 1275 (bored to a 1293, ported, cammed, high comp... ;) and the AA's final drive of something like 4.30:1...on 10" Mini wheels. That beat looking but light Mini, would just scoot to about 90, though sounded like it would grenade. It never did, and was revving to 7500-8000 rpm daily. Anyway, the 912 wanted to play... Blew his doors off from about 50-90. I slowed and let him get along side, and he screamed.. "hey, is that an S..?". Just shook my head no, and smiled. Sorry this post is a bit off the wall (random), but I had to share.

There are some very quick Porsches out there, but they aren't unbeatable. I beat up on one (though a slow-ish 912) with a POS, rusted and trashed lookin' Mini.. :)

tekzilla41 01-27-2011 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Justice (Post 7392309)
It was over 1/2 way full, I've had my car "yell" at me for a loose cap when the tank was almost empty. Why it triggered the CEL this time around I have no clue. We'll see what happens over the course of the next couple of days.

I have state inspection coming up, so if it comes back the cost of my inspection is going to be A fair bit more expensive. And here I was looking for zone bits to make it faster so I can annoy that porche a bit more next time...

If by chance it does come back, you can just pull the positive cable again before you take it to get inspected. It wont clear the cycle to trip the light before they finish your inspection.

TheDutchTexan 01-28-2011 12:06 AM

oldlungs: I believe it was a 2002 carerra, judging by how he just could not pull away in a "dominating" fashion. I bet a tune and intake would get me even, and cams + headers & exhaust get me over. There is no beating stocker 911 from the current vintage though, way to much power and traction those things.

But somewhere deep down I still want to keep her stock... I just don't know. I know that once I start my mod list would end up a little like this since supercharging a block that isn't built for it is something I just won't ever do.

CAI (shaker hood scoop, always wanted one of those) & Tune, then Hot Rod Cams + Headers & Exhaust. End up with louvers and blackout panel on the back of my car and get myself some nice 18" bullets with black heart and machined edge. Yeah, that is a safe ~5 grand right there... Then there is a big brake kit, springs... the list goes on and on.

Can't do it... just can't... But if I where to... it would be a nice handling ride for sure!

tekzilla41: I hope it doesn't, it didn't come back driving yesterday, so I know it can't be something serious as no computer reset would prevent the system from re-illuminating the CEL.

aaquib1992 01-28-2011 12:27 AM

I left my gas cap too loose once in the winter and the light came on. I tightened it in the parking lot and then did the battery trick and yeah the car has to "relearn" its throttle or someone told me it observes your driving characteristics and shifts differently according to that (if you have an auto)... Anyway, sounds like you're gonna be just fine =D
PS, nice job keeping up with that Porsche!

808muscle 01-28-2011 11:55 AM

Seriously who buys a Porsche? Are they stuck in the 80's with a Members Only jacket? Would you really want to be known as a "Porsche guy"? No thanks.... OP please get a tune, a blower whatever and go spank the gay porsche dude.......he needs a beating!!!

TheDutchTexan 01-28-2011 12:53 PM

I actually take offense to that 80's comment... I am stuck in the 80's as well. And if I had any say I'd have a DeLorean in the driveway.

But I do agree, that porsche owner needs a solid spanking. But like I stated, I am never going to supercharge my car. I just do not feel comfortable doing so. N/A mods however... perhaps...

siggyfreud 01-28-2011 04:01 PM

I like Porsches . . . :(

Am I not welcome here lol?

daredevil95 01-28-2011 06:04 PM

I think I wouldn't mind owning a 997!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIPwt...yer_detailpage

siggyfreud 01-28-2011 08:41 PM

Wow. Awesome.

808muscle 01-29-2011 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by siggyfreud (Post 7393858)
I like Porsches . . . :(

Am I not welcome here lol?

Please dont say its a boxster:icon_saywhat::icon_saywhat:

siggyfreud 01-29-2011 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by 808muscle (Post 7394773)
Please dont say its a boxster:icon_saywhat::icon_saywhat:

No, I only like the manly ones :). The only Porsches I want are the models I can't afford :).

daredevil95 01-29-2011 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by siggyfreud (Post 7395061)
No, I only like the manly ones :). The only Porsches I want are the models I can't afford :).

DITTO!:icon_musclecar:

808muscle 01-31-2011 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by siggyfreud (Post 7395061)

If it aint over $100k............gay car!!!:icon_hug: LOL

Lil_Chef 01-31-2011 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by 808muscle (Post 7393559)
Seriously who buys a Porsche? Are they stuck in the 80's with a Members Only jacket? Would you really want to be known as a "Porsche guy"? No thanks.... OP please get a tune, a blower whatever and go spank the gay porsche dude.......he needs a beating!!!

hey now... i come from a porsche family. and while i can say from experience my stock 2010 GT was faster than any of their cars without a GTX or Turbo moniker i still love driving them.

some Porsche drivers are real pricks though... some guy by where i live has a "riced out" Cayman and is always looking for a race from me.

siggyfreud 01-31-2011 02:53 PM

I drive mostly American stuff and I'm still a prick, so you never really know hehe.

TheDutchTexan 01-31-2011 03:15 PM

I've driven a 2008 carerra S actually. I loved it, but as it is not my car, and my dad-in-law was right next to me I didn't abuse it to much.

I need to find out what a shaker, exhaust and tune will add. And I guess I should get a baseline. If I have one of those turd 240whp stangs I am not even going to bother. But all in due time, baby due first, and if I have to go for a third car (4 door) my wife won't let me sink money into the stang.

daredevil95 01-31-2011 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by 808muscle (Post 7396942)
If it aint over $100k............gay car!!!:icon_hug: LOL

The other Porsche models are okay but, 997 Carrera S with Power PKG KIT or a GT3. These are both over a hundred grand and BAD ASS!! 997 TURBO S is around $170,000+......ridiculous money.:icon_bricks:

candymanjl 01-31-2011 05:35 PM

That's why you need boost, then you can give the Porsche the thumbs down ha ha.

TheDutchTexan 01-31-2011 08:38 PM

Yeah, I could shell out 8 grand for boost, or shell out less for bolt ons + visual appearance and have less worry that I'll blow the engine running a tad to lean while boosting.

Unless it's built for boost, I won't boost it.

candymanjl 02-01-2011 03:54 PM

Do whatever you're comfortable with. FWIW I've been boosted with 509whp on my stock motor for 11,000 miles now with zero problems.

808muscle 02-02-2011 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Justice (Post 7398209)
Yeah, I could shell out 8 grand for boost, or shell out less for bolt ons + visual appearance and have less worry that I'll blow the engine running a tad to lean while boosting.

Unless it's built for boost, I won't boost it.

Or you could have bought one of those m90 specials for $3800 with a very safe roush tune and not worry at all. Not to forget you just added enough HP to drop one second off your 1320 times!!

TheDutchTexan 02-11-2011 01:46 AM

Damn you all to hell...

I've been away from this board, learn about that M90 supercharger, check one of my older threads I forgot about and see someone posting about that very same supercharger...

I got a baby on the way, so I couldn't spring for that M90... 3800+~1k install (I am not that handy) would still be 4800... Besides, my car is bone stock, and I doubt the M90 would like the original exhaust system much.

But man, that supercharger whines like a mofo... exactly what I would want. And the power is conservative. I live by the 50% power increase = safe motto. The M90 fits that bill perfectly, and even with some supporting mods, will not go beyond that mark by much. I think it taps out at 500 crank... And that whine... silent under normal operation... but damn... wouldn't it be fun toying around with the unexpected... And that Porsche would have been toast... I want to go to the track with a ladyfriend, I would love to make it to the track without her even knowing there is a supercharger under there. Just drive gingerly so she doesn't hear it whine. And then just unleashing the beast for her token WTF moment at the strip. She's a gearhead, and owns a 2006 black GT with N/A boltons. She'd never let me live it down.

But I am going crazy here... besides, they are all sold out anyway. And the baby... and the need for a dull 4 door... No, not for me... But damn... If this deal would be around in July... I would know where I stood financially. And would most likely spring for it. If you could run it with original exhaust that is...

daredevil95 02-11-2011 10:26 AM

A baby seat fits nicely in the stang and when he/she is around 1yrs they will love the stang and never want to get into a 4 door. Sounds like your raising the new MUSTANG baby proper!!

I'm not sure if your talking about your girlfriend or wife but, tell her the noise is the waterpump making the whine....then give her the seat of the pants speed thrill!!

TheDutchTexan 02-11-2011 01:32 PM

I wouldn't say nicely.. The passenger seat needs to be pretty much all the way forward.

And my wife would know, she knows everything...

forensicsteve 02-12-2011 10:25 AM

Seriously who buys a Porsche? Are they stuck in the 80's with a Members Only jacket? Would you really want to be known as a "Porsche guy"?

I seriously would. Definitely a Porsche wanna be guy. Had my sights on a 911 twin turbo. Alas, not willing to drive 80 miles each way to the closest Porsche dealer....so settled for a Dodge.

daredevil95 02-12-2011 10:30 AM

I wouldn't consider a Viper to be settling....more like Jack-Pot!! :)

candymanjl 02-12-2011 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by daredevil95 (Post 7414986)
I wouldn't consider a Viper to be settling....more like Jack-Pot!! :)

lol, have you driven a Dodge? It's definitely settling :D J/K vipers are cool, for that much I would have gotten a GTR though, that's my next car :D

daredevil95 02-12-2011 09:42 PM

I have not had the pleasure....yet. I was looking at a all race model in the show room this past summer....I'm still drooling.