Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Porsche + Check engine light...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 12:08 AM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

Default Porsche + Check engine light...

I was on the way to work and ran into a Porsche, some brisk driving ensued for about a mile. I lost judging by the thumbs up (for effort?) and then thumbs down. I was hanging on... anyway. We part ways, and I go to work. No problem.

Then on the way to work I smell gas inside the car, I instinctively turn the blower on, if it is coming from the front, it would get stronger. It didn't. At work I pull the car back a full space to see if there was a leak anywhere. Nothing. Then on the way back from work I saw my check engine light was on.

Really? After 5 years of 0 problems? I park the car, tell the wife the check engine light is on and I have to go to the dealer next morning. I go back into the garage, and smell gas. F*ck...

I look under the car, pop the hood and "smell" the engine, nothing. Then I walk to the rear fuel door. Smell gets stronger. I pop the fuel door and wiggle the fuel cap. It must have come undone because it was loose. I read somewhere that the code takes time to clear, so I went ahead and disconnected the battery to get rid of the code. I figure that if there really was something wrong, it would pop up again instantly. After about 20 minutes I connected it again and went for a drive. Nothing wrong, car behaves a bit weird as it has to relearn throttle response and such, but no check engine light.

*keeps fingers crossed it was the fuel cap, and nothing else. Hopefully not to be continued.

I do love these forums! There are many things you can try yourself before having to go to someone else and have them take a look at it.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:29 AM
GTjoe49
2nd Gear Member

My brother has a 911, damn those things are quick!

Was your tank full? If so, it sounds like you figured it out. No gas on the pavement is a very good sign.

Hope all stays OK.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:46 PM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

It was over 1/2 way full, I've had my car "yell" at me for a loose cap when the tank was almost empty. Why it triggered the CEL this time around I have no clue. We'll see what happens over the course of the next couple of days.

I have state inspection coming up, so if it comes back the cost of my inspection is going to be A fair bit more expensive. And here I was looking for zone bits to make it faster so I can annoy that porche a bit more next time...
Old 01-27-2011, 08:07 PM
oldlugs
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Justice
I was on the way to work and ran into a Porsche, some brisk driving ensued for about a mile. I lost judging by the thumbs up (for effort?) and then thumbs down...
Damn Porsche drivin' bonehead! Someone need to teach that a-hole a lesson. Reminds me of playing with an old Porsche 912 around 30 years ago on the freeway... I was driving a stripped down (just gutted) '60 Mini, with a massaged Austin America 1275 (bored to a 1293, ported, cammed, high comp... and the AA's final drive of something like 4.30:1...on 10" Mini wheels. That beat looking but light Mini, would just scoot to about 90, though sounded like it would grenade. It never did, and was revving to 7500-8000 rpm daily. Anyway, the 912 wanted to play... Blew his doors off from about 50-90. I slowed and let him get along side, and he screamed.. "hey, is that an S..?". Just shook my head no, and smiled. Sorry this post is a bit off the wall (random), but I had to share.

There are some very quick Porsches out there, but they aren't unbeatable. I beat up on one (though a slow-ish 912) with a POS, rusted and trashed lookin' Mini..
Old 01-27-2011, 09:55 PM
tekzilla41
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Justice
It was over 1/2 way full, I've had my car "yell" at me for a loose cap when the tank was almost empty. Why it triggered the CEL this time around I have no clue. We'll see what happens over the course of the next couple of days.

I have state inspection coming up, so if it comes back the cost of my inspection is going to be A fair bit more expensive. And here I was looking for zone bits to make it faster so I can annoy that porche a bit more next time...
If by chance it does come back, you can just pull the positive cable again before you take it to get inspected. It wont clear the cycle to trip the light before they finish your inspection.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:06 AM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

oldlungs: I believe it was a 2002 carerra, judging by how he just could not pull away in a "dominating" fashion. I bet a tune and intake would get me even, and cams + headers & exhaust get me over. There is no beating stocker 911 from the current vintage though, way to much power and traction those things.

But somewhere deep down I still want to keep her stock... I just don't know. I know that once I start my mod list would end up a little like this since supercharging a block that isn't built for it is something I just won't ever do.

CAI (shaker hood scoop, always wanted one of those) & Tune, then Hot Rod Cams + Headers & Exhaust. End up with louvers and blackout panel on the back of my car and get myself some nice 18" bullets with black heart and machined edge. Yeah, that is a safe ~5 grand right there... Then there is a big brake kit, springs... the list goes on and on.

Can't do it... just can't... But if I where to... it would be a nice handling ride for sure!

tekzilla41: I hope it doesn't, it didn't come back driving yesterday, so I know it can't be something serious as no computer reset would prevent the system from re-illuminating the CEL.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:27 AM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

I left my gas cap too loose once in the winter and the light came on. I tightened it in the parking lot and then did the battery trick and yeah the car has to "relearn" its throttle or someone told me it observes your driving characteristics and shifts differently according to that (if you have an auto)... Anyway, sounds like you're gonna be just fine =D
PS, nice job keeping up with that Porsche!
Old 01-28-2011, 11:55 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Seriously who buys a Porsche? Are they stuck in the 80's with a Members Only jacket? Would you really want to be known as a "Porsche guy"? No thanks.... OP please get a tune, a blower whatever and go spank the gay porsche dude.......he needs a beating!!!
Old 01-28-2011, 12:53 PM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

I actually take offense to that 80's comment... I am stuck in the 80's as well. And if I had any say I'd have a DeLorean in the driveway.

But I do agree, that porsche owner needs a solid spanking. But like I stated, I am never going to supercharge my car. I just do not feel comfortable doing so. N/A mods however... perhaps...
Old 01-28-2011, 04:01 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

I like Porsches . . .

Am I not welcome here lol?

Last edited by siggyfreud; 01-28-2011 at 08:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Porsche + Check engine light...