Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Automatic vs. Manual

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 12:21 PM
GTcrazy

Thanks for all of the input. As much as I would like to have the stick, I think you all have pretty much talked me out of it. I'll start looking at what else I can do to this thing that won't cause me so many headaches.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:20 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

lol man, I guess People really must like driving a manual trans. At work and automotive class, I am constantly hearing young bucks referring that "autos are for people that can't drive".. or "manuals are superior because they provide more control of the car".

Yeah, I drive an auto. I used to get offended by it and try to edjumicate their ignorant minds. Now, I just lie and say I have a bad knee while in my head, I am cutting 1.3 60 fts. in my high stall auto/4.10s/slicks at the track
Old 02-06-2011, 03:38 AM
Ruphix

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
Now, I just lie and say I have a bad knee while in my head, I am cutting 1.3 60 fts. in my high stall auto/4.10s/slicks at the track
Very slick!
Old 02-06-2011, 10:27 AM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

I am with the others that are telling you just to trade.....

I can't believe I am going to say this.....but...... I wish my Skunk was a standard too.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:46 AM
lazyboy31614@aol.com
2nd Gear Member

Same here stealth, everyone around here tries to pick on my car cause it has an auto. Even after I completely smoke them at the track they still say it must have been something wrong with their tune HAHA. Some people will just never learn
Old 02-06-2011, 01:12 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

lol I find it humorous how many times I have been asked if I was gonna swap it to a manual trans, or when they make that "ahh man!.. it's an auto?!" face lulz.

as if I didn't realize it was an auto when I bought it new.. imagine the horror when they find out that I specifically ASKED for an auto! rofl

How is that 3200 stall on the street? I always wanted one of those..
Old 02-06-2011, 01:18 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
lol I find it humorous how many times I have been asked if I was gonna swap it to a manual trans, or when they make that "ahh man!.. it's an auto?!" face lulz.

as if I didn't realize it was an auto when I bought it new.. imagine the horror when they find out that I specifically ASKED for an auto! rofl

How is that 3200 stall on the street? I always wanted one of those..
Show them your time slips.....be a teacher if they are teachable...kids these days!!
Old 02-06-2011, 01:39 PM
lazyboy31614@aol.com
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I get asked that too, and they never seem able to comprehend that I have a build transmission and it's still an auto.

The 3200 stall is great on the street. It doesn't roll forward from a stop light as well as it did stock, but it will still start to roll forward when the brake is released so long is the road is flat of slightly down hill haha.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:04 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by daredevil95
Show them your time slips.....be a teacher if they are teachable...kids these days!!
I tried to talk to them, believe me.. but they simply aren't aware of autos having the ability to be "tuned". I told them about the 4.10s and they were really confused lol

Originally Posted by lazyboy31614@aol.com
Yeah I get asked that too, and they never seem able to comprehend that I have a build transmission and it's still an auto.

The 3200 stall is great on the street. It doesn't roll forward from a stop light as well as it did stock, but it will still start to roll forward when the brake is released so long is the road is flat of slightly down hill haha.
One of my future plans is going with a built auto trans as well same one you got actually, Brenspeed sells them now!

Can you still launch as hard on the street with street tires with that stall speed will it just shred the tires?? With 4.10s and the stock stall, I can still make mine go sideways rofl
Old 02-06-2011, 02:19 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Go with something like a TCI ratchet shifter. I have one and I LOVE it, I also get a lot of compliments on it. You can shift up and down without worrying about slamming it into reverse. It isn't a replacement for a manual, but for $300 vs trading in or several thousand in swapping, its worth a try.

Quick Reply: Automatic vs. Manual