Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New Guy has ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 12:27 PM
bspeed2008GT

Default New Guy has ?

Recently purchased a 2008 GT mustang with about 50K miles on it. It has a Hurst short throw shifter, a BBK air intake, some kind of flow master exhaust, just mufflers i beleive, not very loud at all. I was told it was chipped with an SCT but no programmer came with the car. Im not very impressed with the power at all. I dont beleive it has been chipped however, I dont knwo what a stock ecu on a mustang has a top speed of? Any ways my first mod that Im adding is a full Eleanor body kit, and 4:1:0 gears. Need some ideas for a lil more sound out of the xhaust? Also lookin for some stock wheels other than what I have cause they suck! Just dont wanna spend a fortune on rims either. Also thinking of buying a Diablo tunner if the car is not programmed. Trying to get into 12s without the supercharger, anyone think that is possible, if so how?

Thanks
I will post pics when the kit is finished, right now its just like every other silver Gt ya saw. lol
Old 02-20-2011, 04:51 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Welcome to the board!

And yes, do post up the pics, and a vid too at the drag strip if you can. I defo want to see the finished product and what it can do!
Old 02-20-2011, 05:33 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Welcome to MF!
Old 02-20-2011, 08:02 PM
NavyStanger

american muscle has good deals on wheel/tire combos that I've seen.

Our cars are quiet due to the catalytic system. One thing to try is simply disconnecting the rear mufflers, and seeing how that sounds, and how that volume works for you. I have long tube headers with hooker mufflers, and it is quite loud.

I'm in mid 12s with no supercharger. Cams, headers, aluminum driveshaft, charge motion delete plates, a custom dyno tune, and 3.73s.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:53 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

There aren't many people writing tunes for the Diablo anymore but I recently heard that AM will. Most vendors seem to deal the SCT's. The previous owner may have installed the canned SCT tunes which are a far cry from the likes of AM and Brenspeed.

Depending on your budget, you can probably get up to about 340 RWHP with all of the bolt-ons and not going FI; that would include cams, LT's and a host of other nickel and dime power adders beyond the CAI & tune combo. Stock, we average about 265 RWHP. A good CAI & custom tune will add another 20-25 RWHP to that, all else being stock.

Whereabouts in MS?
Old 02-20-2011, 11:01 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

More people do tend to tune with the SCT but there a few that do tune for the diablo. Here is a list of shops/tuners that do email tunes for the diablo:
JPC racing
Amazon tuning solutions (ATS)
Eric Brooks brooksspeed.
The tuning super store (STS)

I am currently running the ATS tune. This is basically a remote tune. (long distance dyno tune) The tuner sends a preliminary tune, then you datalog it, send the results back and he will send you an updated tune. The ATS tune does run $185 but you get free upgrades
Old 02-21-2011, 10:19 AM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

I think if you already have the SCT unit, AM will charge you a 150 one time fee and you can you can get tunes for life. Dont quote me on that, but i I know I saw something like that around. I bought the tuner from them and the car sounds, feels, and drives like crazy with a 93 race tune. I just dropped off my car at the mechanic to install 4.10's and im driving a my wifes golf. this has caused me to contemplate life lol.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:22 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

12's are possible with bolt ons but you will defiantly need some drag radials. The stock 17's work perfect with MT et streets. Longtubes, cams, cai/tune, and 4.10's will get you there in good air.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:34 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

12's are very possible and without major mods. I have the power to run 12's with minimal bolt ons just no traction.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:00 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Yes, traction is an absolute must. No traction = no dice.

I see guys with big blocks with all sorts of serious mods to put out even 2000 BHP, and unless they have the tires to put that power to the track, they might as well just be pissing upwind.

Quick Reply: New Guy has ?